HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 8:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevatorGuy View Post
I really am pulling for this project but the absense of a parking garage or parking structure and so much surface parking leaves it feeling very suburban. I just can’t get behind a new downtown hotel with all surface parking. We have enough of that!
Far be it for me to defend surface parking in the core but the parking lot for the Hyatt will be completely hidden behind the hotel, and will occupy land (next to the railway tracks) that would never otherwise be developed (due to inaccessibility). For these reasons, in this particular location, the surface parking lot doesn't bother me much.

By avoiding a parking garage, the developers are likely saving a million bucks or so, but that doesn't mean the building itself will be of poor quality. Again, I have high hopes that this will be a quality project that will do justice to the ongoing redevelopment of the downtown core.

My one time endorsement for the surface parking lot for the Hyatt should not be misconstrued as a blanket justification for surface parking elsewhere in the downtown. We have too much surface parking, especially since most of it is in private bootable lots sucking the oxygen out of the downtown. The vast majority of the private bootable lots should be redeveloped for commercial and residential purposes, as well as for several multilevel parking structures. My feelings on this are well known and have not changed.

The occasional surface lot however, especially if hidden from view, will do no harm to the core however.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces