HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Much like Whole Foods is a local joint. I get what you're saying but it doesn't hit quite home the way Draught House, or Work Horse, does. They're pretty much brands that you can see in other places like Dallas, or Houston. It doesn't speak local to people in Austin.
How long have you been in Austin? I'm a native and I definitely consider Kung Fu to be a local place. Douchy crowd maybe, but it's been one of the most fun bars in Austin for a decade at the end of day. That was a weird example. What's next, Chuy's isn't local?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Strongly disagree with you here. We know how much we’re changing the planet and the largest contributors to these changes and we have to be able to live more sustainably. My mortgage includes a $30k parking space that I don’t use. The majority of my friends who come into town do not bring their own vehicle and if they do they are on their own as I’m not going to worry about their carbon machine. Forcing each and every home to have a car is how we remain a car centric place, evolving into something better is how we give the future a chance.
Can you rent it? There are plenty of employers around DT who have employees who live far beyond any reasonable mass transit options and want to drive into work and need a safe, reliable parking spot.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
How long have you been in Austin? I'm a native and I definitely consider Kung Fu to be a local place. Douchy crowd maybe, but it's been one of the most fun bars in Austin for a decade at the end of day. That was a weird example. What's next, Chuy's isn't local?
I literally don't know anyone that goes there that's not a douche so

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:29 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I literally don't know anyone that goes there that's not a douche so
When it first first opened it was actually fun. Then it turned out the owner was not great and the crowd is terrible.

Any cool concept bar in a nice spot invariably turns into the worst people. When I lived in NYC every. single. rooftop bar was just the worst humans. Like, I want to sit on a rooftop in manhattan and drink a beer and have a nice view, but without the douche set.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Create a couple of rideshare drop-off points and call it a day. I also think geoblocking scooters from operating in entertainment districts that are heavily pedestrian at night seems a no brainer.
yes, this would go a long way to alleviate traffic issues on Rainey - along with some sidewalks to keep "the buzzed" out of the streets. I actually think its pretty cool that there is a line of traffic going up and down Rainey, that is, when I'm not hungry or dirty from a hard days work and just want to get home and shower and eat or have some other life hurry going on. much more fun to be sitting on Rainey, watching it happen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
When it first first opened it was actually fun. Then it turned out the owner was not great and the crowd is terrible.

Any cool concept bar in a nice spot invariably turns into the worst people. When I lived in NYC every. single. rooftop bar was just the worst humans. Like, I want to sit on a rooftop in manhattan and drink a beer and have a nice view, but without the douche set.
I don't get these sorts of comments. I still go to Kung Fu on occasion. I don't recall anyone ever having been a douche to me while there. I also sometimes go to other places that may have a "douche" or two. Unless some d-bag gets in my face for some weird reason, I hardly even notice or care. I'm mostly in these places to socialize and have drinks with friends. So why would it really even matter who else is there?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I don't get these sorts of comments. I still go to Kung Fu on occasion. I don't recall anyone ever having been a douche to me while there. I also sometimes go to other places that may have a "douche" or two. Unless some d-bag gets in my face for some weird reason, I hardly even notice or care. I'm mostly in these places to socialize and have drinks with friends. So why would it really even matter who else is there?
Well, do you engage with the people around you? Because sometimes I do, at non-douchey places, if I've had a few drinks in me, and it's quite fun. Mugshots comes to mind. RIP.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 3:22 PM

Quote:
No. Once they become corporate and expand throughout the country it loses its local flair. It's not unique anymore. Chuy's sucks anyways. It's always sucked.

I've been here since 1998. Definitely not native. But this is the city I've lived in the longest, by far.

I remember going to Kung Fu in 2015. Most boring bar ever.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
No. Once they become corporate and expand throughout the country it loses its local flair. It's not unique anymore. Chuy's sucks anyways. It's always sucked.

I've been here since 1998. Definitely not native. But this is the city I've lived in the longest, by far.

I remember going to Kung Fu in 2015. Most boring bar ever.
Yeah I'm sorry man but you liking the place is not the criteria for something being "local". It seems like perhaps you aren't understanding what this word means? I personally am not a fan of Torchy's, but that is definitely a local restaurant, regardless of my opinion on its food. As is Chuy's and Kung Fu.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 6:09 PM

none of this seems relevant to the topic?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm sorry man but you liking the place is not the criteria for something being "local". It seems like perhaps you aren't understanding what this word means? I personally am not a fan of Torchy's, but that is definitely a local restaurant, regardless of my opinion on its food. As is Chuy's and Kung Fu.
I base it on the fact that locals don't go there.

Anyways, the other guy is right. This is off topic.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:56 PM
Love Austin

All three towers passed on 3rd and final reading—they are good to go! Nine council members were able to support the developments but Council Members Ann Kitchen and Kathie Tovo voted against. Mayor Pro Tem Harper Madison nailed how important these homes are. CM Casar shared how bad the housing market is. Mayor Adler lamented how much we need a new land development code. Proud our council landed on supporting these downtown homes! Wish such homes were fully administrative though.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 10:23 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
All three towers passed on 3rd and final reading—they are good to go! Nine council members were able to support the developments but Council Members Ann Kitchen and Kathie Tovo voted against. Mayor Pro Tem Harper Madison nailed how important these homes are. CM Casar shared how bad the housing market is. Mayor Adler lamented how much we need a new land development code. Proud our council landed on supporting these downtown homes! Wish such homes were fully administrative though.
I can't believe Tovo is the downtown rep.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:19 PM

Just a reminder of the 3.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:42 PM

Site plan approval for all three is imminent now. As far as groundbreakings, my bitcoin is on The East Tower to be first.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:43 AM

More cranes lets gooooooooooo

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:25 AM
Love Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I can't believe Tovo is the downtown rep.
Going on ten years of her as a Council Member. I just can't

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:29 AM
Love Austin

In other news, CM Kathie Tovo brought item 46 which repealed the section of code that solely funds permanent supportive housing for Austin’s unhoused. Unsure how in the world this resolution came to be but enough people were wise to it that she withdrew it today instead of postponing it. I wish our local media paid more attention to housing issues. It is the section of code that allowed for these towers to have more floor to area ration (the sections of each building on Rainey that will not be parked!!).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Great news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin