HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:24 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - Microsoft talks of a $1 billion stake in S.A.

Microsoft talks of a $1 billion stake in S.A.

Web Posted: 07/30/2007 07:38 PM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...t.29171ed.html

L.A. Lorek
Express-News Business Writer

Under mostly sunny skies Monday, a Microsoft Corp. executive conjured up the vision of a cloud to describe how the company's $550 million data center may lead to a $1 billion San Antonio investment.

The data center is a virtual cloud consisting of tens of thousands of computer servers that will contain the digital data for the world's largest software company. The 470,000-square-foot structure that Turner Construction Co. began building in April will contain Microsoft's digital brains.

And that may be just the beginning.

Microsoft has another identical building planned for San Antonio, said Debra Chrapaty, Microsoft's corporate vice president for global foundation services. The next phase could bring the software giant's investment in San Antonio closer to $1 billion.

"We're building the cloud," Chrapaty said. "The cloud is not the cloud in the sky, it's what we're about to break ground on in San Antonio."

The new building on a 44-acre site in Westover Hills will serve up e-mail accounts, Web pages, instant messages, photos, videos, software programs and search information to millions of Internet surfers worldwide. Microsoft has more than 280 million Hotmail customers, and its computer systems handle 8 billion message transactions per day, Chrapaty said.

Chrapaty, who wore a white shirt, khaki pants and cowboy boots, surveyed the job site with the rest of the Microsoft officials in a white stretch Hummer. She also operated the milling machine, which grinds up rock and dirt. Construction is well under way at the site, and the center is expected to go live by December 2008, Chrapaty said.

The San Antonio data center will look like a mirror copy of Microsoft's 470,000-square-foot data center in Quincy, Wash. That site went live a few months ago.

"We've been anticipating this day for months now," said John Montford, chairman of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation. "In addition to all the construction work, this Microsoft data center is expected to employ 75 data center workers in some very good jobs."

It took more than two years to bring Microsoft's data center to San Antonio, but the effort paid off, said Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff. City and county officials, the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, CPS Energy and the San Antonio Water System all worked together to bring the project here, he said. In San Antonio, Microsoft will receive $32.6 million in local incentives over 10 years.

Six City Council members turned out for the event, along with more than 100 officials and businesspeople.

"From the city of San Antonio, thank you for a $600 million investment in San Antonio, adding to the $6 billion in technology going on here," said Kevin Wolff, city councilman and mayor pro tem.

Mayor Phil Hardberger, who was unable to attend the event because of a delayed flight, said in a news release, "Microsoft's investment already has raised the profile of San Antonio as a place for technology companies to do business."

Already, San Antonio is forming a cluster of data center projects. Since Microsoft announced its plans in January, Christus Health, the National Security Agency and Stream Realty all have announced new data center projects. Lowe's Corp. also is building one in Westover Hills.

Charles "Marty" Wender, the developer of Westover Hills, is working with 15 other companies looking at sites for similar projects in San Antonio.

"Microsoft is like the gold standard," Wender said. "Getting endorsed by a company like Microsoft is huge."

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jul 31, 2007 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:50 AM

Congrats to S.A. but seriously...? I'm out of the loop on data center locations but when did S.A. become such a high value location for such a development? I'm sure they offered massive tax breaks and the such but Austin, only 70 miles to the north, was emerging as the third coast's tech hub. How didn't they land something like that?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:53 AM

only 70 jobs or so not a big impact of quality of life

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 5:03 AM

Because Austin isn't the only place with tech jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
Congrats to S.A. but seriously...? I'm out of the loop on data center locations but when did S.A. become such a high value location for such a development? I'm sure they offered massive tax breaks and the such but Austin, only 70 miles to the north, was emerging as the third coast's tech hub. How didn't they land something like that?
According to the article low cost energy and big tax abatements were what brought Microsoft to San Antonio. Other things probably came into consideration too like cheap land and such. As far as Austin becoming the big tech hub for the region, I would say that thinking is stale. While it has alot of tech jobs, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston have their fair share. So I would say it is all of Texas that is experiencing a tech boom. Not just Austin.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
only 70 jobs or so not a big impact of quality of life
It's actually quiet a impact on quality of life from the fact that it's 70 workers making really good money, to construction workers building this half billion dollar and soon billion dollar structure to SAWS and the city who will benefit from the increased electricity a data center uses. Not to mention the domino effect this has on SA as a technology hub for future data centers and other technologically oriented companies. When Microsoft puts its stamp on your city it's a really good thing.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
According to the article low cost energy and big tax abatements were what brought Microsoft to San Antonio. Other things probably came into consideration too like cheap land and such.
"Inexpensive power and access to water are two of the 30 criteria that Microsoft considered before choosing San Antonio, Chrapaty said."

It was a two year process to weed out the sites, SA had a lot to offer besides the low energy cost and tax breaks. Those were keys but so were 28 other things. Here's to more coming to Westover Hills and more importantly San Antonio.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
According to the article low cost energy and big tax abatements were what brought Microsoft to San Antonio. Other things probably came into consideration too like cheap land and such. As far as Austin becoming the big tech hub for the region, I would say that thinking is stale. While it has alot of tech jobs, San Antonio, Dallas and Houston have their fair share. So I would say it is all of Texas that is experiencing a tech boom. Not just Austin.
I meant, more specifically, a hub for data centers. I wish I could find the article to link it but I read recently that Austin is becoming a destination for the data center industry, especially around Riverside/SH71.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 6:21 AM

Westover Hills on the far west side is emerging as a fantastic data center hub as the article states, Marty Wender is in discussion with 15 companies about potential data centers for Westover Hills with one of those 15 being Intel.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
There is no doubt that a data center will generate good jobs. Initially construction jobs, then technician related work. A relatively small number of technicians can keep a data center up and running. The hi-tech jobs related to a data center that require engineers, scientists, PhDs and the sort can be located anywhere on the planet. The servers can be accessed from just about anywhere on the globe. Site selection of a data center is probably not dependent on the ability to attract such talent, although it would not hurt. Site selection is about cooling, stable power and natural disaster protection and the ability to house the servers in a cost effective manner. As a side note, quite a few servers can be housed in a 24"x12" wide space. The definition of a server can also be loosely defined, so the article may be using the term loosely. Despite all of this, this is a great start for SA, and it will bring more hi-tech jobs to the area, and put SA in the minds of Microsoft engineers. (Especially when the networks go down!)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2007, 4:19 PM
Meh

Statewide, Texas is a hub state for tech jobs. Next to California, we're it. The big 5 metros here are tech job hot spots. San Antonio is no exception. There's already been a few data centers built in the past there. I don't remember the companies, but I do remember that there were some built.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2007, 2:19 AM
Bears of antiquity

San Antonio is a major data hub, it seems

Rackspace, and then here comes MS

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio