HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 1:43 PM

Unbelievable! I only saw a big pile of dirt and rocks about 10 days ago.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 1:59 PM
Amen...

Father Alexander Anderson - the psychopathic vampire hunting priest from the ‘Hellsing’ series (manga and anime).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 2:22 PM
JoeCooper

The floor to floor height should be more than 10.8 feet per floor because even though most units will have 10 foot ceilings, some will also have 11 foot ceilings.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoteDote View Post
I'm wondering what will fill the land surrounding the base since this development won't encompass the entire block. Has anyone seen the site plan or have any ideas?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 4:17 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by niff View Post
Father Alexander Anderson - the psychopathic vampire hunting priest from the ‘Hellsing’ series (manga and anime).
OK..thnx

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
The floor to floor height should be more than 10.8 feet per floor because even though most units will have 10 foot ceilings, some will also have 11 foot ceilings.
I agree. If Viewpoint is barely 500ft. tall and is only 36 stories, then the Atlantic at 46 stores has to be atleasts 580 - 600 feet. Though, Joe probably knows what he is talking about more than I do.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 10:21 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
I agree. If Viewpoint is barely 500ft. tall and is only 36 stories, then the Atlantic at 46 stores has to be atleasts 580 - 600 feet. Though, Joe probably knows what he is talking about more than I do.
In Austin their project 360 will be 580 feet/44 floors.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:49 AM

This building looks great!! Wish it wasn't so far out, however. Is there a webcam?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeMaMa View Post
This building looks great!! Wish it wasn't so far out, however. Is there a webcam?

I don't know of a webcam for this project. Plan on calling the developer and finding out if one exist. By the way what do you mean about the tower being so far out. Are you saying you wish it was downtown instead of in Midtown.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:08 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUSOM View Post
I don't know of a webcam for this project. Plan on calling the developer and finding out if one exist. By the way what do you mean about the tower being so far out. Are you saying you wish it was downtown instead of in Midtown.
He probably means that it's away from the established Midtown skyline.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
The fact that the Atlantic will have some of its parking below street level probably accounts for a shorter height.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUSOM View Post
Thanks... Actually when I was referring to the building being too far out, I meant it was away from the established Midtown skyline. It seems to be by itself, along with Wachovia. I just wish it was kinda closer, but this leaves room for other buildings to be built in the area, so it may not be a bad idea afterall.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:54 AM

Two Tower Cranes for The Atlantic

Weekly Update Photos - Friday, March 30

The Atlantic will use two tower cranes. I imagine that's how wide the tower will be.

I'm not sure what function this giant block will have, but it appears to be solid concrete. Also, the guys in the foreground are standing on solid rock... very similar to the top of Stone Mtn. Could this be a vein of granite from the mountain?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2007, 12:46 PM

Yes, it's part of the same granite rock formation that makes up stone mountain. Atlanta is very blessed to have relatively shallow stable bedrock that can take tremendous bearing loads (and is also great for tunneling). In most areas of the city, caissons or piles have to be augerered/driven down through the overburden to get to the granite, but when they did the cleanup from the Atlantic Steel contamination, most this overburden material was removed, making it relatively easy to just dig down and find the top of the rock.

This shallow rock is great from most aspects, but sometimes due to the relative shallow depth of the foundation problems arise when trying to account for lateral sliding and overturning forces. Sometimes its necessary to add mass or rock anchors to provide enough downforce to resist areas of upforce. This might be what they are doing here, or they could just be filling irregularities in the surface of the rock with reinforced concrete in order to provide a level platform to construct the building.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 12:56 AM
Amen...

Not to go off on a tangent, but is the rock really part of Stone Mountain? I know there is a lot of granite and metamorphized granite (gneiss, I think) in the area, but I was under the impression that Stone Mountain itself was more of localized chunk of rock - at least that is what the displays on the top of the mountain seemed to indicate. Granted, I have heard that the rock extends far below and around the mountain (tip of the ice berg so to speak), and there are other similar granite monoliths in the area of SE Dekalb (pine and panola mountain). Yet I also seemed to remember that after the removal of the debris from the carving (which had been siting at the base for a quite a while) they found a mass of older rock at the base.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 10:51 PM

Atlantic Webcam

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 5:24 AM

Are they planning on surrounding atlantic station with highrises (the parts looking out toward 2 peachtree pointe)? I noticed there are lots of open areas surrounding the underground parking decks (which i believe are also parking lots).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:32 PM

that large "block" will not be solid concrete. If you look at the formwork the outside is smooth plywood, and they are placing a rebar cage around it. this indicates that they will build another outer form around it before they pour concrete. This will be a shaft, NOT a block. It is large enought to be an elevator shaft, so perhaps this is the beginning of an elevator pit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 8:27 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapunkskatedude View Post
Are they planning on surrounding atlantic station with highrises (the parts looking out toward 2 peachtree pointe)? I noticed there are lots of open areas surrounding the underground parking decks (which i believe are also parking lots).
There are 8-10 remaining high-rise plots in Atlantic Station. Basically everything east of State Street and north of 16th is potentially a high-rise site, and the land south of 16th to 14th adjacent to the interstate has had some high-rise proposals, all of which I believe were shot down.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 11:13 PM
FriskyDingo

I hope they keep alot of trees in atlanta as the city fills in, its definitely one of the best aspects of Atlanta. From the air it looks almost like a city in a forest and makes for a cool contrast between the nature and the the city. I think thats kind of unique to atlanta.

Last edited by ATLksuGUY; Apr 4, 2007 at 11:19 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive