HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 5:12 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - Toll Roads Update

Attended the meeting tonight, here is some of the information I collected as well as information I learned from other sources.

TOLL ROADS UPDATE

System Starter - Total Miles: 45 miles

• 281 – From Loop 1604 to the Bexar / Comal County Line
Construction is schudeled to begin this fall, thanks to the recent two year moratorium on privately funded and operated toll roads, the Alamo Regional Mobility Authority will now operate the toll lanes and TXDOT will begin construction this fall while ARMA uses the toll revenue to pay construction off.

• Loop 1604 – From State Highway 151 to Interstate Highway 10 East
Construction is schudeled to begin sometime next year. The video they showed tonight of the tolled 1604 was mind blowing just from the fact that it will rival anything currently built or currently being built in Texas. By that I mean the Katy Freeway in Houston. I don't know whether to cry at all the impervious cover I saw or smile because of the fact that traffic will finally improve on 1604.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 6:21 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

After my last trip into San Antonio...politics aside....SOMETHING needs to happen on 1604....traffic was a JOKE! I won't even get into 281....words can't describe that mess.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 6:38 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 1:53 PM
JACKinBeantown

Too bad there won't be any rail lines involved so that when the road is overcongested again in five years, someone will have thought ahead.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 5:43 PM

Great news for SA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
it will rival anything currently built or currently being built in Texas. By that I mean the Katy Freeway in Houston.
This seems doubtful. BTW - There was a posting concerning 1604 a while back, it had a video flyover of the freeway. It was pretty amazing.

Last edited by JAM; Jun 27, 2007 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 7:41 PM

Loop 1604 really is a joke. Traffic congestion exists on the stretch between 151 and 281 24/7. Even on weekends. Its going to be a disaster when parts of the loop close down for the toll road construction. Ugh. What a nightmare that will be. I still can't believe there aren't plans for a light rail system in the city. Perhaps the notoriously fat San Antonians like their cars too much.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 8:03 PM
James

Hey hey now, no reason for name calling here! It's not our fault there are no proposals for rail here.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
This seems doubtful. BTW - There was a posting concerning 1604 a while back, it had a video flyover of the freeway. It was pretty amazing.
I hope to post the video whenever it comes online, parts of 1604 will just be monstrous. The flyover video you mention was of the 281 toll roads which will begin construction this fall.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 10:55 PM

"Traffic congestion exists on the stretch between 151 and 281 24/7."

Traffic snarls on 1604 can be very bad, especially in the morning and at rush hour, but I know there isn't congestion on the road 24/7. As someone who has had major commutes on all of the San Antonio area freeways at some point over the years, I feel that 410 has always been the worst, and it will continue to be the worst for many years to come.

What I don't understand about your other comment Potts, is how you think light rail is for fit, athletic people while driving is for fat people. I don't think either group of commuters is doing a lot of walking.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 1:44 AM

here is the flyover <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRF-gqSlFOA">Proposed US 281</a>

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 2:25 AM
Houston:Considered Good

This will be one of the worst decisions in the history of San Antonio. The entire main East-West artery of the northside will be tolled. Stangling your ability to commute across the northside if you can't afford to pay for it.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 3:17 AM

I take the opposite position, hopefully toll roads will slow down the growth of the Northside. On the other hand the Dallas North Tollway and GB Tollroad hasn't stopped growth in frisco and points north.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
This will be one of the worst decisions in the history of San Antonio. The entire main East-West artery of the northside will be tolled. Stangling your ability to commute across the northside if you can't afford to pay for it.
Actually that is incredibly incorrect. There will be free lanes as well as toll lanes. Toll lanes will be built in the median and current free lanes will remain to be free as well as the free frontage/access roads. So if one wants to bypass the tolls why driving on 1604 they can.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
"Traffic congestion exists on the stretch between 151 and 281 24/7."

Traffic snarls on 1604 can be very bad, especially in the morning and at rush hour, but I know there isn't congestion on the road 24/7. As someone who has had major commutes on all of the San Antonio area freeways at some point over the years, I feel that 410 has always been the worst, and it will continue to be the worst for many years to come.

What I don't understand about your other comment Potts, is how you think light rail is for fit, athletic people while driving is for fat people. I don't think either group of commuters is doing a lot of walking.
Boquillas,

I was exaggerating a bit when I said there is bad traffic on 1604 24/7. But it does exist at non-peak traffic times, such as weekends. A lot of it has to do with the stop lights between 151 and Bandera. But even between Bandera and 281, the loop gets extremely congested during non-peak times. Loop 410 has as much as 6 lanes in each direction at its widest point which helps significantly with congestion. I used to live in the Medical Center and work near SeaWorld and would ALWAYS make it to work much faster taking 410.
As for the commuter thing, light rail usually requires you to walk several blocks to get to your desired departure point/station and often several more blocks to get to your destination. Cars take you directly from point A to point B. The only walking you have to do with cars is to and from the parking lot/garage. And the fat comment was just me expressing my disgust with the unhealthy lifestyle of many of my fellow San Antonians. (In case you haven't heard, SA consistently ranks in the top 10 for the fattest cities in America. But that is a whole other thread)
Cheers.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Was the decision to toll Beltway 8 in Houston that terrible of a decision? I think not. People will be able to buy a toll pass. This is not as bad as all the toll road opponents make it out to be. It sucks to have to pay to drive on a road to drive it, but it beats sitting in traffic at bottlenecks due to TXDOT not being able to construct upgrades for who knows how long.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:58 AM

Potts,
Sorry, didn't mean to come off too rude. I agree rail/bus commuters do more walking than drivers in most cases. And I agree that some San Antonians could stand to lose a few pounds. But I don't necessarily see a correlation between drive-happy cities = obesity versus mass-transit cities = fitter people. L.A. and Chicago immediately come to mind as cities that don't fit that pattern. There's some big people on the L in Chicago, and some disturbingly skinny housewives on the Ventura Freeway. I'm also heavily in favor of light rail in S.A. to ease traffic congestion and reduce our dependence on cars. I think the real culprit for S.A.'s obesity is the awesome Mexican food.

I also assumed you were talking about only the controlled access parts of 1604. My bad-- the traffic light areas between Potranco and Culebra really are pretty nasty. The part of 410 I associate with bad traffic is east of 10 to 35. I once lived at Babcock and 1604 and commuted to Broadway and Tuleta. This involved taking 1604 to 10 to 410 to 281, always at rush hour. Yeesh. I used to sit at the light at Airport Blvd waiting to get on the loop for 20 minutes sometimes, only to stand still once I got on. A few years later, I commuted 12 miles to Bulverde Rd and 1604 from the same area, and it didn't seem quite as bad. Maybe because it was a straight shot and no interchanges were involved...

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 8:07 AM

Thats a lot of money to invest for a road system (1604) that only has high traffic volumes for 4 hours of the day. 281 is pretty rough..but again..not really for hours upon hours..281 needs it more though. They should really build rail instead of paving over what little natural scenery theres left in the area.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:10 PM

Loop 1604 Flyover Animation

Western Segment: Military Drive to Babcock Road (Far west side to Far northwest side)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6HUqKjnHcU

Northern segment: Babcock Road to Nacogdoches Road (Far northwest side to far north side to far northeast side)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1O3XtBsGI0

Eastern segment: Nacogdoches Road to I10 East (Far northeast side to far east side)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOM00JamJC4

Credit goes to Texhwyman.com

Old Posted Jun 29, 2007, 3:34 PM

When I looked at the video at the meeting I wasn't really able to watch it all as there were others waiting to see it as well but now they're on youtube and man, it's even more impressive what they have planned. Just now noticed the I10 west/1604 interchange (northern segment) and saw those incredible flyover ramps, they're huge. The 1604/281 ramps are long as well.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jun 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 9:21 PM

just watched it on brian's site linking to youtube for fullscreen, and damn are they large or what?!?! i rode the ramp at 281 and 410 the day after it opened and i'll say that these interchanges make so much more of a difference in commuting that people have no clue!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio