HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 11:10 PM

Enough is enough. Congratulations to the Spurs, but, this dynasty is killing the NBA and the NBA is disgusted with all of the Spurs winning ways. Television ratings (which equals income), was at the lowest level in NBA playoff history. San Antonio winning all of these years is good for one place...San Antonio. It has brought the NBA to a new low, though, for the rest of the country. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for San Antonio, but, in the end, it is time for the dynasty to end. It is costing the NBA multi-millions in lost television revenue. Nobody cares about the Spurs but Spurs fans in Texas. It is simply not considered an elite team by many and they aren't anything like watching the Lakers and that is why it is costing the NBA so much money.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Enough is enough. Congratulations to the Spurs, but, this dynasty is killing the NBA and the NBA is disgusted with all of the Spurs winning ways. Television ratings (which equals income), was at the lowest level in NBA playoff history. San Antonio winning all of these years is good for one place...San Antonio. It has brought the NBA to a new low, though, for the rest of the country. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for San Antonio, but, in the end, it is time for the dynasty to end. It is costing the NBA multi-millions in lost television revenue. Nobody cares about the Spurs but Spurs fans in Texas. It is simply not considered an elite team by many and they aren't anything like watching the Lakers and that is why it is costing the NBA so much money.
Why are all of the low ratings attributed to the Spurs? This series had LEBRON JAMES!!! Why not blame him for the low ratings? The fact that this series featured arguably the bigest star in the NBA (James), and that the ratings were this low, indicates that there are much bigger problems then the Spurs. Oh, and I do care about the Spurs (I live in Florida).

..........although, I do like how you refer to them as a "dynasty"

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 1:17 AM
James

I agree, it's not fair to blame it all on the Spurs. The ratings were low for the Spurs/Pistons too, but did people blame Detroit, nobody blames them. Who really is going to watch San Antonio and Cleveland other than SA and Cleveland? I mean sure you have fans like BigBird9 above me, but there is only so far. If the NBA had its way it would be the Lakers and the Knicks every year.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 1:50 AM

I'm not blaming it on the Spurs, necessarily...it's the 4 and out that really ruined the ratings. Actually, people expected the Spurs to win so they simply didn't watch. I'll say this...I DID watch every game, but, alot of other people didn't apparently. But, I'm a diehard NBA fan and a big supporter of the Hornets.

Last edited by alon504; Jun 18, 2007 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 4:26 AM

Congratulations to the San Antonio Spurs! They have proven once again how great an organization they have in the Alamo City. I can't believe any true basketball fan can find a team with Tony Parker, Ginobili, and Tim Duncan boring. On the contrary, for me it was a joy to watch them go about their business like the true professionals they are. (Well, except for Bowen.)

If there is a ultimate culprit for the low ratings, it's the imbalance between the Eastern and Western conferences. Many believed the outcome of the series was never in doubt, so they opted to watch other things. The NBA needs to come up with a system that will get the BEST two teams into the finals, regardless of which conference they play in.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
I'm not blaming it on the Spurs, necessarily...it's the 4 and out that really ruined the ratings. Actually, people expected the Spurs to win so they simply didn't watch. I'll say this...I DID watch every game, but, alot of other people didn't apparently. But, I'm a diehard NBA fan and a big supporter of the Hornets.
I know YOUR not blaming the Spurs, but a lot of people are. And I think it's pretty obvious that your a Hornets fan .

I think TexasStar nailed it. The imbalance is huge. It doesn't help that Oden and Durrant will be headed west as well

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStar View Post
Congratulations to the San Antonio Spurs!....

If there is a ultimate culprit for the low ratings, it's the imbalance between the Eastern and Western conferences. Many believed the outcome of the series was never in doubt, so they opted to watch other things. The NBA needs to come up with a system that will get the BEST two teams into the finals, regardless of which conference they play in.
TexasStar you nailed it! I listen to Sportstalk radio often and an overwhelming amount of listeners agreed that the there was little doubt on who would win the NBA Finals. Most national media gave the Cavaliers a snowball's chance in hell, so it's no wonder fans turned to other entertainment. But they did mention other ways to improve the Finals....like seeding teams based on conference/overall record much like they do in college. Thus, it would be possible for a Spurs/Suns Finals. The only downfall to this is that it would continue to let the East be the JV of the NBA with few exceptions.

Alon....you might as well get used to the Spurs being a dominant force for at least the next 5 years. They are the most consistent pro sports team in the US and have a winning reciepe any other team in the league would die for. They are the most winningest franchise of ANY pro sports team in the last decade and have more championships than any team in the last decade. That includes the Lakers, Patriots and Yankees. With the way free agency is in pro sports, this a very impressive. David Stern doesn't have a problem with it. He's making millions now on overseas television revenues. You think Argentina, France and Brazil arn't watching the NBA finals? They wern't 10 years ago, but that was before national heros such as Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Anderson Varejo and Fabricio Oberto.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 9:53 PM

The real NBA finals were played when SA and PHX met in the second round. I heard an idea on the radio, that they should seed all 16 playoff teams by record, regardless of conference, that way the 2 best teams will be sure to meet at the end. If it is SA and PHX or Dallas, then so be it. Oh, and if people think Manu, Tony, and Tim Duncan are boring, then they know absolutely nothing about basketball. Tony, is arguably the most exciting point guard in the league right now. I'm sure others will argue that point, but it could be true.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2007, 11:17 PM
James

Definately, it was so nerve wrecking playing the Suns. If they would have beaten us, I would have gone for them, they are one hell of a team.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 2:05 AM

It's actually refreshing to see the Suns and Jazz struggle against the San Antonio Spurs. It's even better to see them eliminated during the playoffs. Going back to the days at hemisphere and the Alamodome, it was painful watching the Spurs lose to Malone/Stockton and Charles Barkley/Kevin Johnson year after year. They have nothing to show for it other than Western Conference Championship banners.....but that was maniely due to MJ's dominance.

Spurs 4....Jazz/Suns 0. Enough said.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio