HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 1:50 PM

SAN ANTONIO | Hemisfair Residential Tower | 351 FEET | 28 FLOORS | Cancelled

https://www.expressnews.com/business...r-17492626.php

If its okay I figured I would start this thread out since it was requested and because we did get some more info from the article above. To summarize: around 350 units expected with 56,000 sq feet of combined retail space (including the 3-story building next door). Formal submission will be made on the 19th.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 4:01 PM

Can we get pics and deets added? I'd do it myself but I'm on my phone.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 6:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

From the Hemisfair thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 6:11 PM
JACKinBeantown

332' to the main roof. 351' to the mechanical penthouse roof.

Here's the PDF of the submission to the HDRC on Sept. 30, 2022.
https://gis.sanantonio.gov/OHPSystem...7FDD0FBEC3E%7D

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:09 PM

Wait, is this actually happening or just another "idea"?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:46 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajarreguin3 View Post
Wait, is this actually happening or just another "idea"?
It’s been submitted to the city. This is a revised and much better building than what was proposed before Covid interrupted everything. Same goes for the 17 story hotel planned next to this building.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 9:56 PM

Oh man! I hope the "Great Lawn" doesn't look look like that. Early renderings showed much more trees. Hello dust bowl during the Texas summer, and droughts. Ain't nobody going to want to hangout there!

The building itself looks very generic and any city USA. But, it's much better than what's there now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Oh man! I hope the "Great Lawn" doesn't look look like that. Early renderings showed much more trees. Hello dust bowl during the Texas summer, and droughts. Ain't nobody going to want to hangout there!

The building itself looks very generic and any city USA. But, it's much better than what's there now.
I wouldn't be totally surprised if the grass at the park turned out to be synthetic turf like at the Pearl.

I'd prefer grass, but I also prefer the turf to dirt.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 3:37 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:

It will be heavily irrigated, obviously.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 4:15 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:

Trees take time to grow and mature. Renderings are renderings are just that, drawings. The park will not be devoid of trees but they will start off small.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 1:06 PM

I’m so confused by this forum. You want height so you get it, but now it is a generic design? They are making a financially feasible project so it actually gets built. Go stare at the Floodgate for your architecturally different design.

Except for few buildings in Austin, Dallas, or Houston most of their buildings are generic including Texas new tallest building.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 1:19 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I’m so confused by this forum. You want height so you get it, but now it is a generic design? They are making a financially feasible project so it actually gets built. Go stare at the Floodgate for your architecturally different design.

Except for few buildings in Austin, Dallas, or Houston most of their buildings are generic including Texas new tallest building.
Correct. The best architectural element of this building is the parking garage. The building could be in Miami in the 90s, Vancouver, Cleveland, the majority of Austin's new buildings, you name it. Frost was the architectural gem made to satisfy San Antonians for 10 years while filler like this and 300 Main take up space until the next building with some architectural thought are proposed. But this is what you get. At least the shorter companion building is kinda interesting.

And the Great Lawn isn't big enough to be called "great." Maybe it should be called The Pretty Good Lawn.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 5:14 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Are they really putting the amenity/pool deck on the north side?

The tower is going to cast a shadow on that space almost every day of the year. The rendering even shows shadows aimed in the wrong direction. It would be correct if this tower was in the southern hemisphere.

Other than that - I like the height and perceived interaction with the park.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2022, 10:37 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Are they really putting the amenity/pool deck on the north side?

The tower is going to cast a shadow on that space almost every day of the year. The rendering even shows shadows aimed in the wrong direction. It would be correct if this tower was in the southern hemisphere.

Other than that - I like the height and perceived interaction with the park.
I was thinking the same thing.

Like... put the pool facing south so it can get some sun?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 12:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Maybe they're thinking it's good to have the pool in the shade what with global warming and whatnot. (Or maybe they're just not good architects.)

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:06 PM

I wonder if they did it so it's further back and doesn't get rejected by HDRC for casting an inch of shadow on the alamo grounds lol.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2022, 11:26 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
I wonder if they did it so it's further back and doesn't get rejected by HDRC for casting an inch of shadow on the alamo grounds lol.

But also, I didn't even think of the riverwalk shadows. Maybe it's on that side due to the possibility of shadowcasting onto the riverwalk right there. Either way, I'm excited about the density this lil baby will bring.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 1:24 PM

As someone with a pool you do not need full sun all day in South Texas because we are always trying to find ways to cool ours off. Inspire, formally the Vistana, has the pool on the East side (Sun until 2-4) but that cannot be accomplished in this building.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 5:12 PM

Maybe they designed the building further back from the street so it wouldn't block the west views for the Alteza/Grand Hyatt views. Then the east side of this buildings views wouldn't be blocked by the Grand Hyatt? Just a thought.
I really like the East side of this building I almost wonder if it would be better if they mirrored the building so the more nice side of this building would face more of the grand entrance to the park from Market and Alamo street.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 10:15 PM
The Space Pope

The listed height is 351' but this doesn't line up with the renderings at all. The neighboring Marriott Riverwalk is 350' so they should be the same height yet the rendering of the new residential tower shows a taller building closer to 400' and is more comparable in height to the Grand Hyatt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio