HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:31 AM

Aussie in Detroit

Detroit was way way safer than I imagined. I rode around the city on a bike, including out to Dearborn and back through some blighted neighborhoods. I loved the city's hospitality, music, architecture and overall atmosphere of rebirth.

_DSC0131 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0134 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0136 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0145 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0237 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0270 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0279 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0285 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0308 by tony |, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:31 AM

_DSC0321 by tony |, on Flickr

Untitled by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0330 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0332 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0341 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0356 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0367 2 by tony |, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:32 AM

_DSC0369 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0386 2 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0387 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0394 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0416 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0422 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0436 by tony |, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:33 AM

_DSC0534 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0543 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0547 2 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0548 2 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0568 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0148 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0170 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0214 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0228 by tony |, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 8:33 AM

_DSC0602 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0607 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0657 2 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0663 by tony |, on Flickr

_DSC0712 by tony |, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 5:12 PM

Detroit is great. I went once in the late '90s, and then, even though I've been in a relationship with a woman whose family lives 90 minutes away in Michigan for 15 years, I'd been avoiding it ever since. I'd been hearing enough about the rebirth that I finally decided to go a couple of years ago, and I was really impressed with what was happening. I've been back once since then.

About 10 years ago, The New York Times published an article about Slows BBQ, a hot restaurant in Detroit that was bringing in patrons from the suburbs, something that no other Detroit restaurant could do. The tone of the article was hopeful, but I thought it was kind of sad that "there's a restaurant in Detroit that people actually want to go to" was national news. Today there are loads of awesome destination restaurants downtown.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:01 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Great pics. I faved a couple on Flickr.

Forgive me, Detroiters, for asking this question though: What compelled an Australian to visit Detroit? It's not on the list of usual international travel destinations.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:25 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Love those beautiful old buildings. So glad they weren't totally abandoned(demolished), and brought back to life. Fun tour jens, thanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 12:59 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

great pics!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 2:44 PM
Me?!?

Cool pics!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 5:08 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Nice!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Forgive me, Detroiters, for asking this question though: What compelled an Australian to visit Detroit? It's not on the list of usual international travel destinations.
Unless mere business opportunities, it might still be a bit too soon for a trip over there

But I guess the spot will turn more touristy in a few years from now, when their overall urban fabric is fixed and more consistent again.

They still have some cool old skyscrapers and buildings to draw attention after all, and it's been way off the beaten track, unlike NYC or even Chicago.

For example, we don't have anything like these ancient skyscrapers anywhere in Europe, so it's still something impressive and original to Euro travelers.

It shouldn't be underrated.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:06 AM

“Detroit was way way safer than I imagined.” I do not believe you, or your case does not represent the objective truth.

The only time I got related to Detroit was appreciating Detroit skyline from aross the river, the City of Windsor. After the accident that got scammed nearly got jointly attacked in downtown Kansas City, MO, I never explore any downtown that is proved dangerous by media. Sometimes media do tell truth.

I only have to say nice pictures really beautiful but lucky to be safe and sound.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Unless mere business opportunities, it might still be a bit too soon for a trip over there

But I guess the spot will turn more touristy in a few years from now, when their overall urban fabric is fixed and more consistent again.

They still have some cool old skyscrapers and buildings to draw attention after all, and it's been way off the beaten track, unlike NYC or even Chicago.

For example, we don't have anything like these ancient skyscrapers anywhere in Europe, so it's still something impressive and original to Euro travelers.

It shouldn't be underrated.
That's right, as a true skyscraper fan, Detroit is a must vist, even though it means the best and safest way is from Canada.

So I visited detroit from Canada, I mean, I visited Detroit, but never stepped on its soil.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
“Detroit was way way safer than I imagined.” I do not believe you, or your case does not represent the objective truth.

The only time I got related to Detroit was appreciating Detroit skyline from aross the river, the City of Windsor. After the accident that got scammed nearly got jointly attacked in downtown Kansas City, MO, I never explore any downtown that is proved dangerous by media. Sometimes media do tell truth.

I only have to say nice pictures really beautiful but lucky to be safe and sound.
Detroit is dangerous in some areas, and very safe in other areas. The core area around downtown, Midtown, New Center, Eastern Market, etc are much safer than, lets say, anywhere along Dexter Avenue. As long as you watch your back and know how to effectively turn down panhandlers, you'll be perfectly fine, as in any large city. I live in the city and am regularly downtown with my DSLR looking like a tourist, and I do get asked for money occasionally but thats about it. I personally have not had any crime related issues in years. And if I may ask, how do you know downtown is dangerous if you have never set foot in our city?

jens, I love your photos. Looks like you had perfect skies too. What do you shoot with? Did you go to the Henry Ford Museum and/or Greenfield Village in Dearborn?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the comments. I use a Nikon D5100 with a Tokina 11-16 wide lens. I went to Detroit to see and experience all that you see in the photos. When I can, I'll upload my phone shots which captured other areas like Dearborn.

Lol there were kids and families walking around downtown. And those funny booze buses everywhere!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 2:42 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice photos. wish i visited more often, unfortunately like much of the northern midwest, it's as far a trip as atlanta for me, and beyond a weekend drive.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
That's right, as a true skyscraper fan, Detroit is a must vist, even though it means the best and safest way is from Canada.

So I visited detroit from Canada, I mean, I visited Detroit, but never stepped on its soil.
The areas you are likely to visit in Detroit (downtown/midtown) are no more dangerous than any other U.S. city.

There are certain fringe areas that have very high violent crime rates, but you are unlikely to be in such areas, and if you were, you probably wouldn't be a target. In any case, I would feel no less unsafe in downtown Detroit than in downtown Windsor.

In the fringe areas, I would be more worried about ornery stray dogs, who have been an issue in my Detroit explorations. I won't explore these areas by foot anymore; too many dicey experiences with dogs.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:51 AM
Illustrator, editor

Great pictures of the great city of Detroit! Glad to hear it was much safer then expected. Most cities with crime rumours are like that. Have to visit one day!

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:01 PM
Registered Ugly

The interesting thing is, you've somehow failed to capture any of the new stuff/rehabs (of which there has been an ridiculous amount). Still, I'm sure you saw some of it IRL, even if only sticking to the Woodward corridor. You even got the only side of the Book Tower that hasn't been cleaned yet.

To the dude from Antwerp above: I sure hope I am just not understanding your sarcasm and that you're not being serious.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos