HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The school system needs an overhaul. Do away with school divisions. Or keep the divisions to loosely define regions, but get rid of the school boards. They are a complete waste of time and money.

All schools should be funded, like Cheswick said, equally. There should be no reason why someone in St. James is paying a different tax rate than someone in St. Vital.

Never mind the fact that kids are just pushed through, as to not hurt their feelings. They might develop some form of feelings about stuff. The nanny state is greater than ever with the kids these days. If you failed math, maybe you should re-take those classes so you learn. Not just push them through, then they'll fall further behind because they didn't learn the previous years courses.

It's all about the union. They will never let their members lose jobs. They tuk r yooobbbbs.
Holding kids back is going to require fewer teachers? Sounds like the Liberal plan for kids in care.

FYI, MTS and the local teacher associations have been suggesting provincial bargaining for years (which would essentially take power away from school boards and result in more balanced costs between "divisions") but the provincial government has resisted. Why? Nobody really knows. There are two levels of bureaucracy which could be slashed drastically without anyone in a school even noticing, the school boards and the sets of consultants each board requires. MTS could give two poops about keeping the current board structure in place.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:43 AM

I think there is slightly different pay depending on the division. Provincial bargaining would likely result in a uniform wage at the highest salary (probably Winnipeg 1). I doubt any association would allow MTS to lower wages, although abolishing or greatly consolidating school divisions will allow teachers easier mobility rather than being stuck in one division.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:15 PM

Notice something odd about this photo of Pallister?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Notice something odd about this photo of Pallister?
Yeah, what the hell is with that suit he's wearing?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:28 PM

That too, His salute to the crowd is a little eerie in my view...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
That too, His salute to the crowd is a little eerie in my view...
Oh for fucks sake.....really?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Bit of a stretch.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:36 PM
Heart of the Continent

I think he's waving. I don't see the PCs as any worse of an option than the NDP, though I am worried about their commitment to infrastructure funding.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Oh for fucks sake.....really?
yeah, really..spooky..lol..

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:40 PM
Heart of the Continent

http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipe...g-savings.html

This platform should seal the deal, I would think. It's realistic, and it has more money for what matters to me - roads. It also leaves health alone.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I think he's waving. I don't see the PCs as any worse of an option than the NDP, though I am worried about their commitment to infrastructure funding.

Post #2 after I started the thread.

>>>> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...48&postcount=2

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:48 PM

Can we reset the poll? It would be interesting to see the numbers now in the lead-up to the election.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:55 PM

^ Yes we could, maybe a new poll would be even better...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
I think there is slightly different pay depending on the division. Provincial bargaining would likely result in a uniform wage at the highest salary (probably Winnipeg 1). I doubt any association would allow MTS to lower wages, although abolishing or greatly consolidating school divisions will allow teachers easier mobility rather than being stuck in one division.
This is essentially what happens now. Because of binding arbitration, the next bargaining unit up basically gets the same that the last one who went through the process did, perhaps with a little extra. The only significant differences are in benefits and non-monetary. The division with the highest pay in Winnipeg is usually the one that went through bargaining last, in the province it is usually Mystery Lake in Thompson (if we're not factoring in living allowances).

It would significantly lower costs throughout the province to do this process all at once, not through 35+ bargaining units, and protect the province from rogue boards.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:26 PM
There is always a way

I would've loved to hear someone running on luring large businesses to set up corporate offices here as well as distribution centres at Centre Port. Then we get a bunch of shiny new office towers downtown and centre port isn't a total bust! Never mind all the new people paying taxes and more people gainfully employed.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
http://www.metronews.ca/news/winnipe...g-savings.html

This platform should seal the deal, I would think. It's realistic, and it has more money for what matters to me - roads. It also leaves health alone.
The PC's will never be able to get rid of the percentage point on the PST and make it up with cost savings from a government review. A couple of months after gaining power, you will hear Pallister, or his Finance minister, make a statement along the lines of: Now that we had a chance to look at the books, we were shocked by what we saw, and we'll have to hold off on our financial commitments for an indeterminate period.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The PC's will never be able to get rid of the percentage point on the PST and make it up with cost savings from a government review. A couple of months after gaining power, you will hear Pallister, or his Finance minister, make a statement along the lines of: Now that we had a chance to look at the books, we were shocked by what we saw, and we'll have to hold off on our financial commitments for an indeterminate period.
Yep, the classic new government line.

To be fair I don't think Manitobans, even PC supporters, are generally in the mood for drastic cuts. There's an article in the WFP today that says even among identified PC supporters, 40% favour keeping the PST at 8%. There is some leeway for Pallister to take some time to get back to a balanced budget and delay immediate tax cuts.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:31 PM

I might be too cynical, but I could not care less how likeable Pallister is. I want a capable person at the helm. He's rich? GOOD. Then he knows how to do things, in all likelihood. He understands what needs to get done and how to do it.

You don't need to identify with everyone, you need to be smart and a smart politician knows they have to serve the electorate. As ridiculous as it is, MB wouldn't vote in a Premier who claimed to hate hockey but prefers soccer. Has nothing to do with their ability to govern, however.

In Singapore, Presidential candidates need to have been CEOs or leaders of corporations with no less than $100M of paid-up capital (and similar qualifications). Aside from the fact that this creates an establishment, it shows one thing: You have to be proven as among the most capable people in the country.

Aside from that, I find the media's complete tar-and-feathering of Bokhari to be so unbelievably hypocritical. Clearly, they're hoping to avoid a vote split with the NDP.

To tear apart another candidate to support the NDP (and their record) is completely indefensible.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:48 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
I might be too cynical, but I could not care less how likeable Pallister is. I want a capable person at the helm. He's rich? GOOD. Then he knows how to do things, in all likelihood. He understands what needs to get done and how to do it.

That would be fine if he were running a business, as I am. Government isn't a business.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:06 PM
Ignore these four words.

I, for one, likes his suit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan