HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Arthaus in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Move over W/Element! This beauty is going to take over the "will this thing ever be built?" title.

I think out of all the genuine proposals out there in the city, this one is the most tenuous. Dranoff gets stuff done but there has been no movement, only endless delays. Also, this one is dependent on external players (SLS Hotel Group) which adds complexity and makes me nervous. But I'm not ready to write this one off.

Anything in this city over 500 feet is going to get noticed, but at this location? It would be really something else.
In the meantime, we can always discuss parking in the middle of Broad Street and other related issues.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
In the meantime, we can always discuss parking in the middle of Broad Street and other related issues.
Put your hand on the stove and think about what you've done.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 11:54 PM

Yeah - no machinery. But -- they didn't make such a big mess - demo for nothing, right?...., patience, it's almost 2016...

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 5:06 PM
Mr. Technology

I had to do some research on this development so that I was not wasting my time to discover a very fun fact about SLS International:

This tower is planned to be built a few blocks south of City Hall (think: old height limit) on the EAST side, making it the tallest building east of City Hall.

I am still waiting for the day when Center City will be Manhattanized with soaring skyscrapers stretching for miles in all directions.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:36 PM

Well looks like the state budget fiasco is holding up the project because this building received states subsidies. So damn annoying.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Well looks like the state budget fiasco is holding up the project because this building received states subsidies. So damn annoying.

SHIT . STINK . POOP . GD it . The kind of news that can piss off a bow legged camel !!!

.....Words that are heavy with trouble :
" Tinker to Evers to Chance ."

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It would be hard to believe they would stall groundbreaking over a relatively small part of the funding. Unless they can't get the loan without the State funding being in place first.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:02 PM

After the 100-99 vote yesterday in the house, today is suppose to be the day that the budget is suppose to land on the governors desk, so let's keep our fingers crossed for an early Christmas present in Harrisburg in a few hours.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:49 PM

From PhillyMag article today:

Quote:
WSWCA board members noted that the time frame is essentially the same as the SLS Lux, That site is currently a massive hole in the ground and has since been delayed due to the state budget saga (the project received public subsidies), according to Kelsen.
Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...mzYW5HGZGpA.99

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:01 PM

Quote:
The cyber charter school with which my kids' homeschool program was affiliated had to file for liquidation thanks to gubernatorial intransigence on the budget and regulatory issues. The impact of this is being felt far and wide.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
The cyber charter school with which my kids' homeschool program was affiliated had to file for liquidation thanks to gubernatorial intransigence on the budget and regulatory issues. The impact of this is being felt far and wide.
Not the time or place, but Wolf made it clear he was going to wage war on the cyber charter schools. I'm sure there are good ones, but there are others that have been been organized solely to make a few folks wealthy at the expense of children and taxpayers. There's been a lot of fraud.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:07 PM
BANNED

I dont buy the explanation from the Dranoff rep. Seems like they are using that to cover up whatever is really going on. The RACP grant amount is a small fraction of the total construction cost and it's not like you need the full funding in place to start construction. Besides, before we knew the budget was going to take this long Dranoff had already pushed back groundbreaking to 2016.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I dont buy the explanation from the Dranoff rep. Seems like they are using that to cover up whatever is really going on. The RACP grant amount is a small fraction of the total construction cost and it's not like you need the full funding in place to start construction. Besides, before we knew the budget was going to take this long Dranoff had already pushed back groundbreaking to 2016.
It's not a conspiracy, they have no reason to lie about that kind of stuff. I was told earlier they had to redesign the foundation of the structure. It's possible that dovetailed right into the PA budget issue as well.

I'm still optimistic this will get off the ground, especially since SBE seems to be doubling down on Philadelphia and partnering with Dranoff on a Hyde hotel right down the street.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 9:39 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

If they had to kill 1,000 poverty stricken babies to build a high rise on a empty lot, summers would find a way to explain why it's not bad.

Just kidding

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Not the time or place, but Wolf made it clear he was going to wage war on the cyber charter schools. I'm sure there are good ones, but there are others that have been been organized solely to make a few folks wealthy at the expense of children and taxpayers. There's been a lot of fraud.
We can discuss offline, but this one was mostly for special needs kids. The administration objected to them seeing the kids in person more often than was permitted (but which the school maintained was necessary in light of their needs). Besides the assault on their business model, then the remaining money dried up.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 11:09 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Damn I want this building to get off the ground. Issues like what we are seeing can lead into something else, that then leads into something else again, that then causes the project to not get done. For all of us old heads on the board, you know what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2015, 1:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
Damn I want this building to get off the ground. Issues like what we are seeing can lead into something else, that then leads into something else again, that then causes the project to not get done. For all of us old heads on the board, you know what I'm talking about.
exactly. when the reasoning for the delay seems vague or ever changing it seems suspicious. I don't think there was ever a real explanation for why the groundbreaking shifted from 2015 to 2016 or why they rushed to get the building down just to have an empty lot.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
exactly. when the reasoning for the delay seems vague or ever changing it seems suspicious. I don't think there was ever a real explanation for why the groundbreaking shifted from 2015 to 2016 or why they rushed to get the building down just to have an empty lot.
That's no big mystery - the building held some historical significance. Some people would have no doubt attempted to save it. They demoed it ASAP so there couldn't be any fight.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
That's no big mystery - the building held some historical significance. Some people would have no doubt attempted to save it. They demoed it ASAP so there couldn't be any fight.
Agreed. Not only that, but the buildings were in a state of disrepair. Better demo them before something falls off one of those buildings and hits someone or kills someone and they have a lawsuit on their hands.

Regardless, this isn't a conspiracy theory. Projects get delayed all of the time for unseen reasons. They likely planned on breaking ground shortly after the buildings were demo'd since they originally said fall. They then had to rework the foundations and then the state budget fiasco delayed it even more.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 11:39 PM

Andddd... PA state budget still not passed. Come on Harrisburg clowns! Get your acts together. We're trying to do important things over here in Philadelphia, like build skyscrapers!

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...rove-veto.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive