HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 4:19 AM

Expanding Winnipeg Boundaries

City of Winnipeg is looking to expand its Boundaries to the Perimeter Highway

See Report #4

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 5:28 AM

I am naive most likely, but doesn't anyone else find it to be a little bit of a crime that people are allowed to live outside of the city's boundaries thus avoiding having to pay for city services etc. and yet enjoy the full benefit of city living. While at the same time helping contribute to the death of a city's inner core by creating unnecessary sprawl. I don't understand how someone should be allowed to get more for less, while people living on the other side of the street have to pay more, but don't get the benefit of an acre of land to themselves.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I am naive most likely, but doesn't anyone else find it to be a little bit of a crime that people are allowed to live outside of the city's boundaries thus avoiding having to pay for city services etc. and yet enjoy the full benefit of city living. While at the same time helping contribute to the death of a city's inner core by creating unnecessary sprawl. I don't understand how someone should be allowed to get more for less, while people living on the other side of the street have to pay more, but don't get the benefit of an acre of land to themselves.
What full benefits of city living are you referring to?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:29 AM
BANNED

My guess would be East St.Paul.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:26 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
My guess would be East St.Paul.
And West St. Paul. Possibly also Headingley

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 8:58 AM

I would be all for this; if it would mean a more coherent system of roads and street lights etc within the ring road, and might even result in a safer Perimeter Highway if the city were to be more invested in it (if their boundaries went that far), akin to how Edmonton did their ring road up

edit: after reading the city's reasons for discussing this, I would support it as their reasons jibe with my beliefs for extending the boundaries, including raising some new good points

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I would be all for this; if it would mean a more coherent system of roads and street lights etc within the ring road, and might even result in a safer Perimeter Highway if the city were to be more invested in it (if their boundaries went that far), akin to how Edmonton did their ring road up

edit: after reading the city's reasons for discussing this, I would support it as their reasons jibe with my beliefs for extending the boundaries, including raising some new good points
What do you mean by more coherent system of roads?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:00 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

I agree with this. I also think there should be some stipulation that some land should be reserved for more city park areas.

The perimeter in my mind has been the boundary of Winnipeg since the time it was built.

I bet people living just outside the limits will object on the grounds of having to now pay taxes to Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 6:49 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
I agree with this. I also think there should be some stipulation that some land should be reserved for more city park areas.

The perimeter in my mind has been the boundary of Winnipeg since the time it was built.

I bet people living just outside the limits will object on the grounds of having to now pay taxes to Winnipeg.
They might as well, since they're using our services.

Also, would Headingley eventually get annexed by us with our new Downs-area developments and most notably, the housing south of the cemetery?

Example: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=heading...+Manitoba&z=16

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
They might as well, since they're using our services.

Also, would Headingley eventually get annexed by us with our new Downs-area developments and most notably, the housing south of the cemetery?

Example: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=heading...+Manitoba&z=16
The Downs/Point West/IcePlex is already part of Winnipeg. Headingley ceded from Winnipeg in the past, I doubt they'd be up for annexation only a couple decades later...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:20 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
The Downs/Point West/IcePlex is already part of Winnipeg. Headingley ceded from Winnipeg in the past, I doubt they'd be up for annexation only a couple decades later...
Wasn't there talk though of an new retail development for that area? Theres also the Transit Oriented Development opporitunity plus the new suburbs in the RM itself

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
What do you mean by more coherent system of roads?
for instance, look at sturgeon road or inkster (the portions that are out of Winnipeg jurisdiction vs the portions within city limit) or certain portions of the Perimeter where the roads are not city controlled or within official city limits; there is a clear disparity between city controlled roads (street lights vs no street lights, safer feel, better upkeep, better infrastructure)

if the city took control of all jurisdiction up to the perimeter highway, so we are essentially encased by the the highway, it would allow for a more coherent system (for example, inkster could be nicely twinned all the way to the perimeter, rather than up till Rosser's boundary)

Also, I would hope that this would mean - by extention - that the perimeter would have some serious upgrades. The province would likely be more willing if the city were more invested in the road (as it would literally border city limits) and provide a better functioning highway more akin to the newly completed ring road in Edmonton (a full free flowing freeway, better interchanges, feeder lanes, etc...)

There is a huge disparity between the RM's and the city, and this would make Winnipeg more like a "complete unit"

if you read through this, you can see the vision behind it, and it makes sense. I'd be all for this, and I hope it comes to fruition. Seems like city council is taking it quite seriously!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
for instance, look at sturgeon road or inkster (the portions that are out of Winnipeg jurisdiction vs the portions within city limit) or certain portions of the Perimeter where the roads are not city controlled or within official city limits; there is a clear disparity between city controlled roads (street lights vs no street lights, safer feel, better upkeep, better infrastructure)

if the city took control of all jurisdiction up to the perimeter highway, so we are essentially encased by the the highway, it would allow for a more coherent system (for example, inkster could be nicely twinned all the way to the perimeter, rather than up till Rosser's boundary)

Also, I would hope that this would mean - by extention - that the perimeter would have some serious upgrades. The province would likely be more willing if the city were more invested in the road (as it would literally border city limits) and provide a better functioning highway more akin to the newly completed ring road in Edmonton (a full free flowing freeway, better interchanges, feeder lanes, etc...)

There is a huge disparity between the RM's and the city, and this would make Winnipeg more like a "complete unit"

if you read through this, you can see the vision behind it, and it makes sense. I'd be all for this, and I hope it comes to fruition. Seems like city council is taking it quite seriously!
I know the City of Winnipeg was trying to annex the land currently part of the RM of Rosser, and expand the city limits to the Perimeter Highway in the Northwest. The motive was to include Centreport inside city limits. Whatever became of that plan?

As for the Perimeter, I based one of my blog articles on a document produced by the "Frontier Centre for Public Policy," on why it would be a good idea to make the highway a limited access expressway.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I know the City of Winnipeg was trying to annex the land currently part of the RM of Rosser, and expand the city limits to the Perimeter Highway in the Northwest. The motive was to include Centreport inside city limits. Whatever became of that plan?

As for the Perimeter, I based one of my blog articles on a document produced by the "Frontier Centre for Public Policy," on why it would be a good idea to make the highway a limited access expressway.
Great blogpost Jets4Life (though I'm on the other side of the fence regarding the CMHR )...I'm going to read it again while on my flight back to the Peg this evening...but very informative regarding a good vision for the PTHWY

I should add that the current plan involves the RM's of East & West St. Paul, in addition to Rosser, Springfield & Macdonald to be annexed. So I assume the city realized it might as well just do the entire region up to the Perimeter to avoid a struggle with Rosser as occured last few years just to reach an agreement regarding the sewers & pipes for CentrePort.

And yes, your implication is correct; this would - i imagine - allow the city to have more control over CentrePort.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewP...ctionId=299106

go to page 11 and you can see a map of the proposed city limit extension. Looks great. Hope it goes through. I'd imagine this would take at least a year or so to become realized, if everything goes according to the city's desires - which will be unlikely unless the Province helps speedtrack it. But the RMs have their own rights as do their citizens, so there might be some heated discussions come up soon.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
high expectations

Quote:
I would love to see the perimeter become a freeway just like Edmonton's ring road, however, Winnipeg is not Edmonton. We just couldn't afford that kind of infrastructure.

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
I would love to see the perimeter become a freeway just like Edmonton's ring road, however, Winnipeg is not Edmonton. We just couldn't afford that kind of infrastructure.
I think we could with the right plan. This would require both the city and province to come together

Jets4Life points out some interesting points in his blog:

- $440 million to bring Perimeter up to the Freeway standards (prob more expensive now, but again...can you put the price on safety and prevention of death? I know people who have been in serious accidents on the Perimeter)

- freeways reduce highway injuries and fatalities by 70%, according to the Infrastructure Council of Manitoba

- freeways prevent the most destructive accidents from occurring due to the design of most North American freeways

- freeways pay for themselves in the long run, in terms of reduced fatalities, congestion, injuries, commuting time, and the alleviation of stress on roads and highways that parallel the route of the freeway

we'd just need the right plan. $440 isn't impossible with co-operation on all three levels of government. The accident case is huge. PTHWY could definitely be a lot safer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

it will get done just takes time. remember we neglected our highways for 30 yrs... and play allot of ketch up right now

part of highway 6 is gravel atm...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 10:35 PM
high expectations

Quote:

- freeways pay for themselves in the long run, in terms of reduced fatalities, congestion, injuries, commuting time, and the alleviation of stress on roads and highways that parallel the route of the freeway
But is there enough cars that use the Perimeter to warrant a freeway?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 11:58 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-MAN View Post
But is there enough cars that use the Perimeter to warrant a freeway?
With CentrePort traffic and the expanding Capital area poopulation, yes.

At LEAST use it around Lagimodiere, poor area gets nothing but accidents

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 2:20 AM
high expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
With CentrePort traffic and the expanding Capital area poopulation, yes.

At LEAST use it around Lagimodiere, poor area gets nothing but accidents
Sweet so is there actually plans for a freeway in or around Winnipeg yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan