HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 5:59 PM

Finishing Marion / Goulet

I was reading the paper about the future transportation plan, and I see that it indicates finishing Marion / Goulet to Lagimodiere. Does anyone know what that means? Are they going to twin that street all the way? Will all the houses in the way of Goulet if it doesn't merge with Marion, be removed?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
I was reading the paper about the future transportation plan, and I see that it indicates finishing Marion / Goulet to Lagimodiere. Does anyone know what that means? Are they going to twin that street all the way? Will all the houses in the way of Goulet if it doesn't merge with Marion, be removed?
It looks as though east of Archibald, Marion will veer north and merge into Dugald...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 6:30 PM
What could go wrong?

They will be expropriating some of the houses to continue Goulet east. They have already been buying properties up for this extension. It will come together with Marion around Nicolas Ave and angle north/east until it meets up with Dugald Rd. Dugald would be twinned to Lagimodiere.

The other option is to widen Marion (redo the existing part) and use Panet as the connector to Dugald Rd.

Apparently this has been on the books for some time.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 31, 2011, 6:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

This is badly needed as there are a lot of commuters from out Dugald & Oakbank way that use Dugald Road. I had to drive out there a few times this summer and it can be very congested at rush hour.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 12:55 PM

Oh it's an extension from Lag to Dugald? Not twinning from Youville to Lag? My mistake...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:09 PM
What could go wrong?

No.... it extends Goulet from around the Marion Hotel (eastward), parallel to Marion, across the Seine River to about Tache, then angles upward to meet with Dugald Road around Dawson. They will then 4 lane divide Dugald Rd from Dawson to Lagimodiere.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is my rough estimate of the proposed alignment.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Here is my rough estimate of the proposed alignment.

Hmm I know someone who lives on Doucet St. (south side). Should she start looking for another house?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 11:18 PM

Does this mean they can remove the light at Lagimodiere?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 1:17 AM
Starring as himself

Wouldn't it make more sense to route Goulet back on to a widened Marion and not wreck so much residential land? This isn't 1962 anymore. You're going to end up with another Notre Dame/Cumberland wasteland in the middle of that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 4:55 AM

Can't see it being done that way. An extra river crossing, and extra rail crossing. Nope. They might take out the twisty bit at Youville, Marion at 2 lanes each way is wide enough. Grade separation at the tracks and then realign it to Dugald road. We'll see if I'm right in 20 years when they finally do something.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 12:09 PM
Back from the dead

^^ Yeah , that's what I figure as well .

It doesn't really make sense to extend a one-way Goulet through perfectly good residential communities . It would cost way more (especially with at least two extra bridge structures) and Marion east of Archibald has plenty of room for expansion .

I spent most of my life right in that neighbourhood (grew up on Youville as a matter of fact) and whatever problems exist as far as traffic goes have nothing to do with the vehicle capacity and everything to do with trains and intersections .

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 1:24 PM
What could go wrong?

That is the other option i mentioned earlier. An expanded Marion with the link to Dugald Rd via Panet Rd. The City wants it to be 4 lane divided. Ultimately i believe they would like to eliminate the intersection at Marion and Lagimodiere. The alignment i have shown above is just the straightest alignment the City is looking at. There still needs to be an official functional design study done.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 5:12 AM

The proposal that is shown on Biff's map is only a bandaid solution to the real problem at hand, which is a major East - West corridor that will move traffic from one side of the city to the other. The only way that this can come about is by a major move on behalf of both railways, CN and CP.

The railways, which were here first, took the best ground and alignment for themselves. Winnipeg's street system has always had to go around them. It is my opinion, that if any progress is to be made in any major street planning for the future, then the railways must go.

The obvious solution would be to have CP go to the north perimeter and CN move to the South perimeter. The existing trackage, for example; CN highline that runs from Transcona through Union Station, over Pembina Hwy through the southern part of Charleswood; would make an ideal southern route for an East - West corridor of six to eight lanes with a rapid rail system connecting to the North - South transit corridor at Pembina. Presently, most of that route is elevated, and most major intersections along that route go over or under the proposed route. By stacking the roadways, existing right-a-ways can be used with only on/off ramps cutting into new territory. Only TWO things stop this proposal, one is money, and the other is, where should the first Tim Horton's be located on this route?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 7:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if they moved the rail line say good bye to the rail maintince shops

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
Do you have a link to that article?

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this, but the triangle building on Dupuy ave ( http://maps.google.com/?ll=49.883182...h&z=19&vpsrc=6 )
was bulldozed about a month ago.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2011, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodette View Post
Do you have a link to that article?

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with this, but the triangle building on Dupuy ave ( http://maps.google.com/?ll=49.883182...h&z=19&vpsrc=6 )
was bulldozed about a month ago.
Your talking about the old Western Rawhide building owned by the Demitroff family. The creek on the northside of it is under the control of Rivers and Streams. Those guys don't like giving up control of anything. Besides that the guy with the 10000 cars doesn't want to go anywhere either.

Also, if that were the proposed route, why would they allow them to build the Lube joint at Archibald, when the space was vacant for so many years. The City Planning boys will have to go back and play in the sandbox for a little while longer before that one is approved.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
Your talking about the old Western Rawhide building owned by the Demitroff family. The creek on the northside of it is under the control of Rivers and Streams. Those guys don't like giving up control of anything. Besides that the guy with the 10000 cars doesn't want to go anywhere either.

Also, if that were the proposed route, why would they allow them to build the Lube joint at Archibald, when the space was vacant for so many years. The City Planning boys will have to go back and play in the sandbox for a little while longer before that one is approved.
A month ago it looked like Imerie Demolition was going to start knocking down Select Auto's building, but the garbage box is still sitting there as we speak. The old cooperage place on the s/s of the creek is still business as usual, so I wouldn't expect too much to happen at this point in time. Dust is still blowing around the corner of Panet and Dugald, nothing started on the west side along Husky and no survey crews in sight. The Planning boys must be waiting for the sandbox to dry out. We'll keep you posted.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 2:58 AM
Back from the dead

The chances of Goulet being extended to Lagimodiere are slim to none .
Don't forget that this whole scheme was dreamed up in the sixties (or earlier) and since then a lot of fundamentals have changed dramatically .

Construction costs are considerably more expensive even after factoring for inflation . That alone is probably all that is needed for the city to scrap the idea .
Secondly , you can't fight city hall (as the saying goes) but you can fire it all . Neighborhoods aren't as easily carved up as they once were and the Goulet extension goes right through the only one in that general direction . Ramming this through despite the inevitable protests would undoubtedly result in a few job openings .

Thirdly , it's just not necessary . The only reason that traffic gets backed up along that stretch is because of the trains at Archibald . The solution is an under/overpass , not moving the problem laterally .

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 1:15 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
The chances of Goulet being extended to Lagimodiere are slim to none .
Don't forget that this whole scheme was dreamed up in the sixties (or earlier) and since then a lot of fundamentals have changed dramatically .

Construction costs are considerably more expensive even after factoring for inflation . That alone is probably all that is needed for the city to scrap the idea .
Secondly , you can't fight city hall (as the saying goes) but you can fire it all . Neighborhoods aren't as easily carved up as they once were and the Goulet extension goes right through the only one in that general direction . Ramming this through despite the inevitable protests would undoubtedly result in a few job openings .

Thirdly , it's just not necessary . The only reason that traffic gets backed up along that stretch is because of the trains at Archibald . The solution is an under/overpass , not moving the problem laterally .
Actually the plans are very real....now. I recently talked to a top city traffic engineer (not a friend of a friend who heard....) who said it was a priority to remedy the bottleneck of Lagimodiere between Marion and Dugald. The remedy is to close the intersection at Marion and Lagimodiere and somehow realign Marion to use the Dugald intersection. This plan that i discussed is the preferred alignment. That does not mean that is what will end up being built but it is the latest as of spring of 2012.

Another high priority is the grade separation of Lag and Regent. Lagimodiere will go under Regent. The only issue will be the nightmare of detouring traffic through the construction zone at one of Winnipeg's highest volume and busiest intersections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan