HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:16 PM
ARTchitecture

I'll start one today! Welcome to SSP Cyrodill.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 5:45 PM

Thanx Chadillaccc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I'll start one today! Welcome to SSP Cyrodill.
Thank You for the response..Chad...Maybe..just maybe..things do change over time...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 7:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Well judging from the poll, the overwhelming majority of people want some kind of change, so it will have to happen. Unless the mods decide to go all communist on us. 26% to maintain the status quo is hardly a reason to keep it the way it is.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 8:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Well judging from the poll, the overwhelming majority of people want some kind of change, so it will have to happen. Unless the mods decide to go all communist on us. 26% to maintain the status quo is hardly a reason to keep it the way it is.
I just looked and Status Quo was leading with 36%
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 8:22 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah, 36% for no change, and 64% for a change. Change is winning by far.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 8:53 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
we have this debate every 6 months....locals suck....it has killed this forum as everyone scurries into their own little corner...there is so little cross regional discussion....it used to be great before it was divided up...i knew everything happening in calgary and edmonton.....we had lots of discussion across all the prairie provinces.....now everything is navel gazing from the same people.

its far less interesting here today.

agreed....

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
agreed....
As a new poster I do agree with with learning about new developments in the west...But the mixing of multiple threads from multiple cities is for some a bit much. Not the expert architect/engineer students who want an overall idea of the Entire Wests Projects...but some of us are just simple locals wanting a quick search to a particular area(city)..without having to read the election results for another province?or city?
It may be exciting for some...but not for others.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:44 PM
ARTchitecture

So even though it is the will of nearly 60% of the people, no change is happening?

Sounds like a Canadian federal election.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a Canadian federal election.
Sounds to me like a random poll that some expect to be binding even though it wasn't official in any way or prompted by the people who actually run things. Or, at least that's how I read the last message in the poll.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:04 PM
visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ exactly.....i can remember when this was a prairie section and visiting calgary and edmonton knowing more about what was going on in those cities than my friends who lived there did.....the argument is always that people can go into those local forums if they want but the evidence has more than proven that they do not.....people stay in their own little corner....chadillaccc you are practically the only person who genuinely does surf the sections....i appreciate that you do, but you are very much the exception.

this question always seems to be started by someone not from manitoba or saskatchewan.
Exactly, what I was thinking.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Sounds to me like a random poll that some expect to be binding even though it wasn't official in any way or prompted by the people who actually run things. Or, at least that's how I read the last message in the poll.
Sounds to me like democracy is being ignored to please the what is now "affluent" minority on these boards. Reminds me of how things work at City Hall, with all the integrity of Sam Katz and Shindico.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 4:53 PM

It seems to me that a change will eventually be necessary, especially with the construction boom in Saskatchewan. However, the forum is currently able to handle threads from both provinces with no problem. So my vote goes for no change at the present time.

I think if this section is split up it should be split into a Manitoba section and a Saskatchewan section, mostly for the benefit of rural Manitoba which would be drowned out by Saskatchewan threads if a local Winnipeg section is created. Rural Manitoba is affected by Winnipeg issues and vice-versa far more than by Saskatchewan issues.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 5:25 PM
ARTchitecture

That's actually a good idea. The only reason I've proposed this is because everything here is so unorganized and important threads can get lost or just aren't created because there are already so many threads, used and unused. Having seperate provincial sections would definitely organize things. But I'd guess because neither Alberta or BC have their own provincial sections, neither will Man and Sask.

Yeah Shinook. Agreed. I'm pretty sure as this is a forum based out of Canada (part of the free democratic world) that the leaders of this section have an obligation to at least hear the majority out, and nearly 60% (a large majority) want some kind of change.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah Shinook. Agreed. I'm pretty sure as this is a forum based out of Canada (part of the free democratic world) that the leaders of this section have an obligation to at least hear the majority out, and nearly 60% (a large majority) want some kind of change.
You don't get it, do you? 58.1% want change, but they still are lower than the 41.9% that want to remain status quo. Out of all of the poll options, remaining status quo was by and far the most popular one, so live with it and move on. This thread needs to be closed as it is a dead issue in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:13 PM
ARTchitecture

No dude, that's not how it works. 58% want change. I stated near beginning of the poll that, pending the results being in favour of change, there would be a new poll in order to decide which change. I obviously wouldn't have created the poll like that in order to split the for vote 6 ways and have the against vote one way. How would that make sense? 58 for change is a majority, that is how it works. Thanks for explaining the poll I created to me though.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
No dude, that's not how it works. 58% want change. I stated near beginning of the poll that, pending the results being in favour of change, there would be a new poll in order to decide which change. I obviously wouldn't have created the poll like that in order to split the for vote 6 ways and have the against vote one way. How would that make sense? 58 for change is a majority, that is how it works. Thanks for explaining the poll I created to me though.
Whatever! It looks like for some reason you want to change things here, and you don't even live in these two provinces. This process has been done before, and explained to you that there is no need for change, so just give it a rest and leave well enough alone. The forum the way it's set up serves it's purpose. A poll is a poll, doesn't mean things are going to change just because you, as an outsider, want it to change.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 1:36 PM
What could go wrong?

For some reason this is still going.

This is from the SSP Local poll thread that is now locked, from Mike K. - Website Manager:

"Hi everyone,

Typically with locals they are created when one city or region begins to overwhelm a sub-forum with multiple threads and multiple city-centric discussions.

For creating project threads, if anyone would like to maintain separate project threads over and above general construction or specific top threads please preface them with the city name (i.e. [Regina]) as this make it easier for all visitors to identify city-specific discussions.

Once we see one city's threads clearly dominate a sub-forum we may opt to ask participants whether they would like to see a new sub-forum created for that city or a full blown SSP local. "
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
You don't get it, do you? 58.1% want change, but they still are lower than the 41.9% that want to remain status quo. Out of all of the poll options, remaining status quo was by and far the most popular one, so live with it and move on. This thread needs to be closed as it is a dead issue in my opinion.
I personally don't really care either way, but that is some extremely poor logic to try getting your way. The majority of people who voted clearly want it changed. The fact that the poll was segmented in such a way to give those people many different ways of changing is meaningless.

The poll could have easily been worded:
1) Want some of Man / Sask segmented into somesort of city based structure.
2)Want the status quo for now, but revist in a year
3) Want the status quo now, but revist in 6 months
4)Want the status quo for good and never revist

Then you would have 60% option one and 40% split amongst 2 to 4. Yet the actual opinion of people would be identical to the poll that's up.

Anyway.... as Biff pointed out the issue has been addressed by the site staff.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I personally don't really care either way, but that is some extremely poor logic to try getting your way. The majority of people who voted clearly want it changed. The fact that the poll was segmented in such a way to give those people many different ways of changing is meaningless.

The poll could have easily been worded:
1) Want some of Man / Sask segmented into somesort of city based structure.
2)Want the status quo for now, but revist in a year
3) Want the status quo now, but revist in 6 months
4)Want the status quo for good and never revist

Then you would have 60% option one and 40% split amongst 2 to 4. Yet the actual opinion of people would be identical to the poll that's up.

Anyway.... as Biff pointed out the issue has been addressed by the site staff.
I actually don't care what happens in the grand scheme of things. I don't have a "my way". It just seems that some people keep pushing and pushing and it gets old real quick, when it has been determined that the forum will stay the same for now. I agree, re-visit in a year or so, not 6 months. There just isn't enough traffic on this site to justify change.

As for the majority of people voting want change, it's no different than the Conservatives winning with 45% of the poll, the NDP get 30%, and the Liberals get 25%, the Conservative still had the most votes, and they end up becoming the governing body of the country. Maybe it's not perfect, but that's the way it works, and we live with it. (Not actual numbers, just examples.)

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan