HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:22 AM
Hamletropolis

Population Growth is impressive!

http://mymcmurray.com/news/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0

The Regional Municipality is out with the numbers from the census conducted in June of 2008. The total population of the region was 103, 334 last summer, up by 17.3 percent from the 2007 census. The 2008 numbers capture population trends in the communities of Fort McMurray, Anzac, Conklin, Draper, Fort Chipewyan, Fort Fitzgerald, Fort McKay, Gregoire Lake Estates, Janvier, Mariana Lake, and Saprae Creek.

The data collected in June of last year also shows that the urban service area of Fort McMurray reaced 72, 363, which is a 10.6 percent growth of the 2007 number of 65,400.

Data for Wood Buffalo's 2008 census was collected and analyzed through a partnership between the municipality's Planning and Development Department, and the Population Research Lab at the University of Alberta.

Municipal Affairs does not require local governments to conduct an annual census, but because of the rapid growth in Wood Buffalo, the municipality has chosen to do a census every year since 2004.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortroad View Post
So I was discussing Bond Centre with a very good source and they said the developer has taken it off the table because they don't feel it is viable.
Saw a news release last week saying Bond is proceeding this fall, that they are close to having financing in place. They had an extension of their permit requiring them to begin in 2009 I believe.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 7:47 PM
HVAC guru

Edinburgh tower is out for bids right now

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 9:11 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasman View Post
Saw a news release last week saying Bond is proceeding this fall, that they are close to having financing in place. They had an extension of their permit requiring them to begin in 2009 I believe.
Do you have the source handy with you?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 11:45 PM

I never even noticed this thread before. It's to see all the stuff happening up in the Mac. I had a good 5 years there, although, I can't say I'm missing it that badly.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hamletropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
My source was from the City. I was told they did not renew their permit and would not be proceeding, however that was a few months ago. Things may have changed since.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 12:04 PM
Hamletropolis

Well, Its still no better looking:

http://www.edinburghtower.com/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/Art...true&e=1647530

I don't foresee the Bond Towers happening at all. Such a shame. plus new restrictions imposing any new high rise skyscraper.

Quote:
Another obstacle in the way of construction is the new lower townsite redevelopment plan, which has a new height limit for buildings. The new limit has a restriction of close to 14 stories.

One more construction not mentioned so far here:

Quote:
By fall 2011, an eight-floor, nearly 7,000-square metre office building could set up shop on the corner of Hardin Street and Franklin Avenue, next to the Shell gas station.
http://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/Art...true&e=1482646

Old Posted Sep 26, 2009, 11:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
September 26, 2009
Government invests in infrastructure for oil sands expansion
$241 million will help create two new communities in Fort McMurray

Fort McMurray...
Preparing for continued growth in the oil sands, the Government of Alberta is moving forward to turn raw Crown land into new residential, industrial and commercial developments in Fort McMurray.

“Now is the right time to prepare Alberta for its next phase of growth,” said Premier Ed Stelmach. “With this investment, we are working with Fort McMurray to create new jobs for today and new homes for tomorrow. We will be ready to support future expansion in the oil sands.”

Over the next five years, the province will invest more than $241 million to develop land located in the Parsons Creek and Saline Creek Plateau areas adjacent to Fort McMurray. Of the total $241 million, $166 million will be used to complete an innovative new residential development at Parsons Creek. The remaining $75 million will bring utilities and roads to the Saline Creek Plateau area making future residential, commercial and industrial developments possible.

Parsons Creek - Phase One will cover 450 acres and will include more than 2,000 new homes accommodating an estimated 6,500 residents. A full 20 per cent of the homes will be designated as affordable housing, with rents at least 10 per cent below market rate.

“This funding will make a real difference in the lives of many families living in Fort McMurray,” said Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs, Yvonne Fritz. “The Parsons Creek development will provide low to moderate-income families with a safe and secure place to live and contribute to building a strong community.”

In addition to building more affordable housing at Parsons Creek, the province is committed to making the community both environmentally sustainable and healthy. Green technologies, like alternative energy sources, are being explored and features like extensive parks and walkable neighbourhoods will be included in the plans. The goal is to put Fort McMurray at the forefront of innovative urban design. Public consultations on the preliminary plans for Parsons Creek are expected to begin in October.

Development at the Saline Creek Plateau will focus on bringing water and sewer systems to the site, the construction of Saline Creek Drive and improvements to the intersection of highways 63 and 69. These steps will prepare the area for future residential housing for up to 3,000 people as well as new commercial and industrial developments.

“Alberta’s investment in these new communities will provide the critical infrastructure of roadways, water and sewer systems that will help support the future growth of Fort McMurray,” said Luke Ouellette, Minister of Transportation.

Development of both Parsons Creek and the Saline Creek Plateau will be led by the provincial government. The province will develop plans for the communities and prepare serviced land for sale to developers and builders. Revenue generated from the sale of the parcels will be reinvested in the public infrastructure like schools and affordable housing in the new communities, making this a cost-effective approach to development.

This hands-on approach to developing Crown land in the Fort McMurray area also allows the municipality to respond more strategically to growth pressures in the region. For example, the current inventory of lots and new construction in Fort McMurray is expected to be sold out in the next three to four years. Serviced land at Parsons Creek will be available for sale to developers in 2011-12. It will then take about two years for developers to build new homes.

“The Municipality is very pleased to see Parsons Creek and Saline Creek Plateau move forward with a strong commitment from the Government of Alberta,” said Melissa Blake, Mayor of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. “Fort McMurray is facing extreme growth pressures, so partnerships such as this are crucial to increasing the quality of life for residents now, and in generations to come.”

The need to develop Crown land in the Parsons Creek and Saline Creek Plateau areas was identified as part of the Alberta government’s overall community development plan for Fort McMurray. It is an important action in implementing the recommendations made in the Radke Report and Responsible Actions, the 20-year strategic plan for Alberta’s oil sands.
http://www.gov.ab.ca/acn/200909/2698...7162A3164.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2009, 9:04 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Article from the Edmonton Journal: Link

Quote:
Province unveils Fort Mac expansion

Alta. to spend $241 million over five years to develop neighbourhoods for 44,000

By Dave Cooper, edmontonjournal.comSeptember 27, 2009

EDMONTON - Alberta is pumping $241 million into two large parcels of Crown land in Fort McMurray to prepare lots that could eventually be home to 44,000 residents.

Since 2006 the province has spent more than $2 billion on new roads, bridges, schools and other infrastructure in the area in the wake of the Radke report, which pointed out glaring infrastructure deficiencies in the oilsands boom city.

"Now is the right time to prepare Alberta for its next phase of growth. We will be ready to support future expansion in the oilsands," said Premier Ed Stelmach, who made the funding announcement at a Saturday morning event in Fort McMurray.

Melissa Blake, mayor of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, called the announcement "fantastic news for our region."

The new lots will be available in about two years, just as the lots now being sold in the Eagle Ridge and Stone Creek neighbourhoods are expected to be sold out.

Between 1,350 and 2,000 homes are built each year in Fort McMurray.

By paying for lot servicing up front, the province will allow the money earned from the sale of lots to developers to flow back into the neighbourhoods themselves--for schools, health clinics and other services--instead of into general revenues.

"This idea is creative, clever and absolutely appropriate," Blake said.

This approach will speed up the process, and allow developers to begin work earlier, she said.

The need to develop the Crown land in the Parsons Creek and Saline Creek Plateau areas was identified as part of the provincial government's overall community development plan for Fort McMurray.

It is part of a 20-year strategic plan recommended in the Radke report, delivered in 2007 by former deputy environment minister Doug Radke. The report criticized the government for its ad hoc approach to planning in the province's biggest resource town.

The province first announced in June 2008 that it would make land available for the Parsons Creek and Saline Creek Plateau projects.

"This could be the opportunity to allow us to move ahead, where we're managing growth from the leading edge as opposed to reacting to the tremendous pressures that come with the huge success of Fort McMurray," Treasury Board president Lloyd Snelgrove said at the time.

The 800-hectare Parsons Creek parcel at the north edge of Fort Mc-Murray will be developed in phases, with the first 180 hectares to include lots for 2,000 homes and 6,500 residents. Eventually the neighbourhood could house 24,000 residents.

A full 20 per cent of the homes in phase one will be designated as affordable housing, with rents at least 10 per cent below market rate.

The 900-hectare Saline Creek Plateau, which is in the southern part of Fort McMurray, will also include commercial development and could eventually have 20,000 residents.

"Our need for commercial land is as pressing as the need for housing lots has been," Blake said. "In Saline Creek there might be some higher density along your main boulevard, with ground floors as commercial.

"It's a more urban design concept."

Independent MLA Guy Boutilier, a former cabinet minister booted from the Conservative caucus earlier this year, welcomed Saturday's announcement.

Liberal Leader David Swann questioned the announcement's timing.

"The timing is suspect, having just lost the (byelection) in Calgary-Glenmore and having a renegade MLA there that's been booted from caucus," Swann said.

Stelmach will be back in Fort Mc-Murray on Thursday to host a fund-raising dinner for his party. "That also raises questions about the timing," Swann added.

Meanwhile, Blake said that while the economy has cooled a bit in Fort McMurray, the municipality is catching up with its infrastructure shortfall, and intends to be in a position to meet future demands as the oilsands resume their growth.

This summer Imperial's Kearl Lake bitumen mine was given the go-ahead, and expansions at Suncor, Shell and CNRL that have been shelved could quickly resume. There is also a growing number of oilsands projects in the region.

Fort McMurray housing is among the most expensive in Canada, with average home prices around $630,000.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 6:29 PM
Hamletropolis

Edinburgh Tower

So they are moving forward with Edinburgh Tower. The tower crane has been up for a few months.
Project:

Tower Crane is up:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2010, 8:32 AM
Project manger

cool, what else is going on up there?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasman View Post
They had one permit extension and then the extension expired so it supposed to go back to Council.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 9:45 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortroad View Post
So they are moving forward with Edinburgh Tower. The tower crane has been up for a few months.
Project:

Tower Crane is up:
Please tell me the design has changed....?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jul 21, 2010, 9:52 AM

Looking for work.

Hi folks
Ive been looking for work in and around fort Mac, I'm currently living in the UK and trying to move to Canada,I'm running out of ideas to look for places of employment, I have been a tower crane operator 5 yrs, would be grateful for any advise, and don't tell me to stay home coz they ain't no work here.lol
Got another question too, I drove class 1 trucks in USA for a few years but have been back in England for 6 plus yrs and if i went back to driving would i have to do all the course training over again or just a refresher course,that's all for now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Hillbilly View Post
Got another question too, I drove class 1 trucks in USA for a few years but have been back in England for 6 plus yrs and if i went back to driving would i have to do all the course training over again or just a refresher course,that's all for now.
It's no wonder this thread stopped dead in it's tracks.

There's an old saying that there are no stupid questions but there sure are stupid places to ask questions. Yorkshire, don't you think you should get in touch with motor vehicle branches in the states to ask such a question rather than in the Fort MacMurray construction thread of skyscraperpage.com?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:52 AM
So very tired...

^ Well, if he intends to drive trucks in Canada he should likely look at the website of Motor Vehicles in Alberta.

I think this may help:
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1671.cfm

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Here is an interesting article from Discover magazine.

Quote:
http://discover.coverleaf.com/discov...009?pg=18#pg18

The End of Easy Oil

Canada's tar sands will soon be our top source of imported oil. But will that energy be worth the costs.

Fort McMurray in Alberta, Canada, a city of 70,000 lies in the heart of Canada’s oil sands, geologic formations that collectively contain 13 percent of the world’s proven oil reserves.

The United states has become deeply reliant on extreme extraction from Canada’s tar sands which this year are expected to become this country’s top source of imported crude, surpassing our purchases from the vast oil fields of Saudi Arabia.

Worldwide, mostly in Canada and Venezuela, oil sand reserves total a stunning 2 trillion barrels of oil.

That is equivalent to 280 years of America’s current consumption, …

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 11:17 PM

holy shit! sorry for my language, but thats crazy

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 7:08 AM

New air terminal for Fort McMurray

$198-million building scheduled to open in April 2014

BY DAVE COOPER, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COM DECEMBER 10, 2010

EDMONTON — Fort McMurray’s small and crowded airport is being replaced by a $198-million air terminal building with eight gates and three passenger bridges, the authority announced late Friday.

The new complex, designed to handle 1.5 million passengers a year, will be on the south side of the main runway and could eventually include a customs area to handle

international flights. It should be open by April 2014.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/termi...#ixzz17mhgQJaY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia