HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 4:24 AM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I guess what I'm asking is why don't you move now? If it's so terrible, you have the option of leaving for bigger, better cities. What is stopping you?

Sorry to be nosy, but I am curious.
something called money (I get barely to survive, but at least I get something studying... in Italy I ended up selling newspapers in the streetlights )

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 5:36 AM
RIP Knut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Oh my gosh Yellowknife, that could be even more depressing than Winnipeg
Why don't you like summers? Summers in Winnipeg get pretty hot for long time.
I hate summers If i were living in Phoenix Arizona where it's 50 degrees every second day in summer i would die in 24 hours

because
1) I suffer from insomnia in hot weather
2) I don't feel like eating when it's hot
3) I have no zest to do anything when it's hot

So i would either die of starvation, sleep disorder or suicide
Sounds like SAD (seasonal affected depression) but the other way around
as i was saying in a previous post i love nights, not a big fan of daylight
that's why i think anchorage is nice they get so many hours of night in winter! btw right now in Melbourne i work night shifts full time

Last edited by pallo; Jul 11, 2007 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 8:09 AM

Just a quick sidenote.
Yes NWT and Nunavut are conservative but the Yukon and Whitehorse are quite liberal with the beauty of the mountains.
Comparing the Yukon to NWT is like comparing BC to Alberrta.

Anyway, back to the PEG.
One thing I really like about the Peg is that it has an emph to it. It strikes you as a hearty city steeped in history and historically always one of CCanada's most important cities............................especially socially. It's a hearty kind of place who's place in the country will never waiver. Remember between 1910 and 1930 is was Canada's 3rd largest city was truly Canada's gateway to the west. Always been very cosmopolitan with all the Eastern Europeans who came and settled at the turn of the century. It was founded French and Louis Riel its influence on the nation and where she headed is truly great.
Winnipeg has that kind of felling, like Chicago which is often compared to, that it won't crumble as soon as the price of oil or lumber or fish rundown.

Its kind of like the Chevrolet of Canada. Note splasy or awinspiring but meat and potatoes and nothing will evr get ahold of the Peg. Very much like the Chevy ads................tried, tested, and true.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 4:57 PM

^Yellowknife is very, very cold in winter - 10c on average less than the Peg in January.

But Pallo, if you want Winnipeg-cold winters, and summers that barely get over 20c, try Whitehorse, Yukon. More sunshine, dry, and relatively close to the mountains.

SpiritedEnergy - have you looked at the other Cdn cities? If you want big and bustling, TO would be the best choice...but Montreal and Van would be great as well - and I'd argue Cgy, Edm, and possibly even Ottawa would be better. Have you been for yourself to any of these? Are you in school/university right now??

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Winnipeg has that kind of felling, like Chicago which is often compared to, that it won't crumble as soon as the price of oil or lumber or fish rundown.

Its kind of like the Chevrolet of Canada. Note splasy or awinspiring but meat and potatoes and nothing will evr get ahold of the Peg. Very much like the Chevy ads................tried, tested, and true.
Dude - are you from the Peg?? Just curious.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 5:03 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post

and I'd argue Cgy, Edm, and possibly even Ottawa would be better. Have you been for yourself to any of these? Are you in school/university right now??
No, they are not. In the evenings, Calgary and Edmonton are dead, except for the bar areas, just like Winnipeg. I've never been to Ottawa, so I can't speak for that city. Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg are hoping during the day, but not at night. Only Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver fit the description for bustling.

I think that this is something Winnipeg should work on, and can achieve.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jul 11, 2007 at 5:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
something called money (I get barely to survive, but at least I get something studying... in Italy I ended up selling newspapers in the streetlights )
Being broke in any city can bring you and your attitude about the place down. Unless you live where the weather is hot all the time and you can just sleep on the beach, if that's your thing.

If I can just say, I really love it when people come to this city/country from abroad for a 'better' life and then complain about what a disappointment it is to live here. Really love that, lots.

Anyways, some people will move here and love it, others won't - I would guess that is true of any city. Loving/liking/hating will likely depend on your expectations.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 5:32 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pallo has a phd if i am not mistaken... he is curently living in melborn..
a pic he sent me last night of melborn hmm i see some winnipeg in this shot.. just in the lay out

he wants an inexpensive place to live he was also looking at st johns cause he likes fog... but yea

into the west i am prity sure he does not want to live in cgy or edm though i don't dought he would want to go visit these 2 cities

yes ssiguy is a pegger

"winnipeg does not have much for a night life" umm depends on what it is you wana do... nothing a fire pit a 2four and some padio furnature and a group of friends can't solve and of coures yea gota have the pack of weenies and marshmellows

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
No, they are not. In the evenings, Calgary and Edmonton are dead, except for the bar areas, just like Winnipeg. I've never been to Ottawa, so I can't speak for that city. Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg are hoping during the day, but not at night. Only Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver fit the description for bustling.

I think that this is something Winnipeg should work on, and can achieve.
Toronto and Montreal are in leagues by themselves...areas of downtown Van are "bustling" - mostly along Robson.

Try going down to 17th one of these nights (especially during Stampede), it is quite busy. Kensington and 4th would be pretty good too. Or Whyte in the summer months...quite busy, and lively. I guess I'm thinking the direction these areas are going as well - it will continue to get busier as people move in.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
into the west i am prity sure he does not want to live in cgy or edm though i don't dought he would want to go visit these 2 cities
Not trying to convince him of doing such a thing...just added to the list Greco had started about more "bustle".

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:09 PM
I am a typical

"Calgary and Edmonton are dead, except for the bar areas, just like Winnipeg."

Dude, come to Thunder Bay and say that.

After a short visit in the Canadian Lakehead, you'll pine for the hustle and bustle of Greater Nanticoke! I guarantee it!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 6:28 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Toronto and Montreal are in leagues by themselves...areas of downtown Van are "bustling" - mostly along Robson.

Try going down to 17th one of these nights (especially during Stampede), it is quite busy. Kensington and 4th would be pretty good too. Or Whyte in the summer months...quite busy, and lively. I guess I'm thinking the direction these areas are going as well - it will continue to get busier as people move in.
Neither 17th, Kensington or Whyte Ave. are in the downtown core as I was specifically refering to. Corydon Ave. in Winnipeg which is the same as these area's, isn't in the downtown core area, yet it is bustling too, just as much as 17th Ave. or Whyte Ave.; crammed with people enjoying themselves.

The downtown of all these cities are dead at night, again with the exception of the bar areas. Calgary and Edmonton are NO EXCEPTIONS in this case.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jul 11, 2007 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2007, 8:53 PM

^Wait...now you're saying that all of those cities are dead?? I'm missing your point I guess.

Of course the business core of these cities are dead - and Calgary has more office space in its core than almost all of Vancouver...it's no surprise the corner of 6th Ave and Centre St would be dead at night. Though Stephen Ave is not bad until late evening, obviously walking into the Beltline, 4th, Kensington, etc is where it is more animated.

Anyway - I'm not going to get into a discussion of what makes bustling "bustling"...personally, I think comparing Van to TO or Montreal, is just as bad as comparing Calgary to Vancouver...as most would expect, they're much larger.

Personally, I find more areas busier longer than the small (but very nice) section of Corydon that I would consider "bustling".

Everyone will have their degrees of how much activity is enough to consider busy.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I also just want to point out, after all this talk about crime - and how "bad" it is - really, it isn't that bad...unless things have really changed in the last 8-9 years. I definitely wouldn't be scared to travel into most areas...certain areas may seem rundown, but areas you likely wouldn't live/go into anyway. But, still, even those areas aren't even that bad in the bigger picture.
I agree. I'm sick of people talking about crime in 'peg, it has reduced and is now less per capita than 3 other mid-large western cities, including one in Alberta.

I say let the guy, who has chosen to live in Winnipeg, add his name to other (record numbers) of people moving here and enjoying the character, arts, and (slow) urban improvements, all while being able to freeze his nads in the snow for 3-4 months of the year! It's Pallo's paradise!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 1:15 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Calgary and Edmonton are dead, except for the bar areas, just like Winnipeg."

Dude, come to Thunder Bay and say that.

After a short visit in the Canadian Lakehead, you'll pine for the hustle and bustle of Greater Nanticoke! I guarantee it!
Does Shaunese still dance there on Wednesday's?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
pallo has a phd if i am not mistaken... he is curently living in melborn..
a pic he sent me last night of melborn hmm i see some winnipeg in this shot.. just in the lay out

he wants an inexpensive place to live he was also looking at st johns cause he likes fog... but yea

yes ssiguy is a pegger

"winnipeg does not have much for a night life" umm depends on what it is you wana do... nothing a fire pit a 2four and some padio furnature and a group of friends can't solve and of coures yea gota have the pack of weenies and marshmellows

I don't recall ever meeting you so why do you think I'm a Pegger?
Don't answer questions on my behalf.

I am NOT a Pegger. Have never lived in Manitoba or any of the Preairies for that matter. I have only lived in Southern Ontario and Southern BC with a couple years in Ottawa/Hull/

I have been to the Peg twice and I really like it and I have very fond memories of her and she gave me that impression when I was there but I have never lived even whithin 2000km of her.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 5:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't recall ever meeting you so why do you think I'm a Pegger?
Don't answer questions on my behalf.

I am NOT a Pegger. Have never lived in Manitoba or any of the Preairies for that matter. I have only lived in Southern Ontario and Southern BC with a couple years in Ottawa/Hull/

I have been to the Peg twice and I really like it and I have very fond memories of her and she gave me that impression when I was there but I have never lived even whithin 2000km of her.
sorry i just got the jiff you lived here :S

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 6:26 PM
RIP Knut!

Can someone please open a thread about "winnipeg in winter"? where you can put lots of photos of winnipeg during the cold months
I haven't seen many photos of winnipeg around

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 6:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jul 12, 2007, 7:13 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan