HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I wouldn't be surprised by a very low voter turnout number. There's no "call to action" to rally to the polls in support of anything. A lot of people don't like Brad Wall but they're not in large enough numbers to do anything about it. Just a vocal minority.
I guess I was right. 57% of elligible voters, that's the lowest in Saskatchewan's history. So disappointed in democracy right now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
I guess I was right. 57% of elligible voters, that's the lowest in Saskatchewan's history. So disappointed in democracy right now.
Not terribly surprising given that the outcome wasn't ever in any real doubt. The lowest turnouts seem to happen when an incumbent government is on track to getting re-elected.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised by a very low voter turnout number. There's no "call to action" to rally to the polls in support of anything. A lot of people don't like Brad Wall but they're not in large enough numbers to do anything about it. Just a vocal minority.

I guess by "a lot of people" you mean a lot less than any other province in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:01 PM

No shock with the low voter turnout, as many have discussed before. I was right about my prediction of a quiet day at the polls. The lineups for voting on election day were almost non-existent. Far longer lines for the advance polls. Will have to keep that in mind for the next election.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I guess by "a lot of people" you mean a lot less than any other province in Canada.
Ya, I'm confused by what "a lot of people" means when he's the most popular premier in a province of only 1.1M people.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Ya, I'm confused by what "a lot of people" means when he's the most popular premier in a province of only 1.1M people.
Almost 160,000 people expressed their discontent with Brad Wall's government yesterday. I'd consider that "a lot of people", wouldn't you?

It's far, far less though than the people who approve of Brad Wall's government. The vast majority of Saskatchewan people are in support of him.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Looking at the voting map of SK is interesting, SP where people live and work, NDP orange where people live and don't work!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Almost 160,000 people expressed their discontent with Brad Wall's government yesterday. I'd consider that "a lot of people", wouldn't you?

It's far, far less though than the people who approve of Brad Wall's government. The vast majority of Saskatchewan people are in support of him.
I don't want to argue because you are a great contributor to this forum, but I think better words would have been "relatively few people" dislike Brad Wall. This is compared relative to any other politician in any jurisdiction with a free press.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:36 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
I don't want to argue because you are a great contributor to this forum, but I think better words would have been "relatively few people" dislike Brad Wall. This is compared relative to any other politician in any jurisdiction with a free press.
I don't think relatively few is a good term either.

His approval ratings vary between 60-65% or so lately... This leaves 35-40% either in the conflicted/unsure or disapprove groupings. That's a sizeable minority.

It would be similar to saying Trudeau has relatively few people who dislike him (61% approval rating right now), but we all know there is a decent amount of very vocal detractors.

(It's important to divorce leader approval ratings from party vote percentages in this comparison, especially because the 2-party Sask race is fundamentally different than the 4.5 party federal race.... Giving the greens a half count federally).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't think relatively few is a good term either.

His approval ratings vary between 60-65% or so lately... This leaves 35-40% either in the conflicted/unsure or disapprove groupings. That's a sizeable minority.

It would be similar to saying Trudeau has relatively few people who dislike him (61% approval rating right now), but we all know there is a decent amount of very vocal detractors.

(It's important to divorce leader approval ratings from party vote percentages in this comparison, especially because the 2-party Sask race is fundamentally different than the 4.5 party federal race.... Giving the greens a half count federally).
The use of "relatively" means compared to others. There are few politician in North America who have a lower disapproval rating. Selinger is in the mid-70's disapproval.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:26 PM

Quote:
It just feels like you're jumping to conclusions on the use of a very generic term. If you think I meant that the majority of people or enough people to vote out the government than I'm sorry that you misread that.

i.e. There was a lot of people in the cast of that play. There were a lot of people at the Cathedral Street Fair. I saw a lot of people downtown today.

You could say that with 440,000 people coming out to vote yesterday, a lot of people voted. Comparatively speaking it was a disgrace of a turnout, but I wasn't speaking with a historical or big picture view. Only that there was a lot of people.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 8:35 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
The use of "relatively" means compared to others. There are few politician in North America who have a lower disapproval rating. Selinger is in the mid-70's disapproval.
The benchmark for politicians extremely low...

Even with using "relatively" to draw a comparison to other regions, the rest of the language used gives the connotation of minimising/marginalising the fairly large minority of people who don't support him, which provincially, would equate to more people than live in our largest city.

Just reminds me of some of the things I like least about politics (all politics, regardless of party).

Edit: This is moreso directed to frustration/annoyance with the election we just had where it feels like it was more about gamesmanship than policies and ideas.

Last edited by Nathan; Apr 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:36 AM

My two cents on the election...

I received two election leaflets in my mail today...one for my Sask Party candidate and one for the NDP candidate. Hello Canada Post?

Also, was anyone asked (after they had voted) to complete a 'voter experience' card? Seriously? I came to vote. I put my X on the ballot. It really pi$$ed me off. No wonder people don't vote.

End of rant

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
My two cents on the election...

I received two election leaflets in my mail today...one for my Sask Party candidate and one for the NDP candidate. Hello Canada Post?

Also, was anyone asked (after they had voted) to complete a 'voter experience' card? Seriously? I came to vote. I put my X on the ballot. It really pi$$ed me off. No wonder people don't vote.

End of rant
You're mad because they asked your opinion on the voting process in order to improve it in the future?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 11:54 PM

Re: low voter turnout

It was stated by the chief electoral officer that they changed how they compile voters this time around. So essentially, the number of eligible voters was much higher that past years. Not necessarily due to increased population , but due to better and more exhaustive enumerating process. It was stated that 35,000 more people voted this time around than 2011.but if your are dividing this year's numbers by the new total instead of maybe by 2011 plus average population growth, it's going to skew the numbers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan