HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:38 PM
North End Troublemaker

Has anyone on here seen anything about the rezoning of 543 Elmhurst Road? It's coming up on EPC this Wednesday and I think it looks like a good idea, but all the City Planners reject it and it received a lot of opposition at the Community Committee...

It looks like the the developer wanted to create something like a pocket neighbourhood at the location but because it would have had to change zoning it had to go to public committee. The development would have created excess tax density for an area that is lacking it. It almost looked like a cul-de-sac, but the roads would be the responsability of the land owner, not the city.

What is even more sad is that the City put together a counter-proposal for the developer to make it all single family dwellings -- even though the property directly north of the one in question is zoned multi-family.

Sometimes, when I read the City is strapped for cash I think "you reap what you sow".

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Has anyone on here seen anything about the rezoning of 543 Elmhurst Road? It's coming up on EPC this Wednesday and I think it looks like a good idea, but all the City Planners reject it and it received a lot of opposition at the Community Committee...

It looks like the the developer wanted to create something like a pocket neighbourhood at the location but because it would have had to change zoning it had to go to public committee. The development would have created excess tax density for an area that is lacking it. It almost looked like a cul-de-sac, but the roads would be the responsability of the land owner, not the city.

What is even more sad is that the City put together a counter-proposal for the developer to make it all single family dwellings -- even though the property directly north of the one in question is zoned multi-family.

Sometimes, when I read the City is strapped for cash I think "you reap what you sow".
A good case in point of a pocket commercial development is Terracon Place and soon to be " The Waters" on the south side of Dugald Rd. Very nice developments and in complete control by the management company, not City's drunken sailors.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 4:37 PM

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about politics. But if Havixbeck were to run for mayor, I would be happy with her. Of course she would have to impress me with civic policy...

She's always putting the questions out there that other councillors seem afraid to ask. She asks the mayor today how many staff the City has. Yeah, that whole thing again. The Mayor's response? Can you put that question in writing please.... Come on Sam you slimey snake. Just say you don't know, like everyone else, instead of sliming your way around it.

I would rather have a mayor who says they don't know and will find out the answer, instead of avoiding the question...

Even Wyatt knew enough to do a bit of research and find out what the city budgeted for. Which was 8770.5 full time employees.

All this I'm getting from the Free press twitter feed they stream on the website. So take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't know a whole heck of a lot about politics. But if Havixbeck were to run for mayor, I would be happy with her.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/
Please no. But I do she and a few others run so that their seats are vacated...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:06 PM

So far there isn't anyone that I would hope to vote for. I hope that all Russ Wyatt, Paula Havixbeck and Scott Fielding run rand lose so that they cannot return to Council. Personally the person best fit for the job who currently sits on Council is Gerbasi. But she would and will never run, and wouldn't win anyways because she could never get backing from the Police and Fire Unions.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:09 PM

I'll vote for someone that sticks up for the city as opposed to funnelling money into their friends pocket. Business "leaders" should not be in politics. But that's how the world works. Is Havixbeck the answer, maybe not. But as Chris said, who is?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:44 PM

Someone with some commonsense. Winnipeg will be helped by a conservative provincial government. The NDP has to go. Knowing what I do about the Osborn House fiasco has truly revealed what arrogant, slimeballs these NDP'ers are.

Never liked Sammy. I rented CanWest Park in 2002 and had a terrible experience. After my ordeal, another group that had previously rented it contacted me and our experiences were very similar. Very slimey.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:02 AM

People pay far too much attention to the party, when they should be focusing on who is running. In today's day and age no party actually sticks to the principles that the parties themselves were founded upon. If the Liberals or NDP had a better candidate than the Conservatives I would vote for them because of it. I am not bias towards or against any set party. I will vote strictly on who I feel will be the best for the job at the time of each election. I personally think Gary Doer was a fine Premier. Sam Katz is also a Conservative, and look at what kind of Mayor he makes.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
People pay far too much attention to the party, when they should be focusing on who is running. In today's day and age no party actually sticks to the principles that the parties themselves were founded upon. If the Liberals or NDP had a better candidate than the Conservatives I would vote for them because of it. I am not bias towards or against any set party. I will vote strictly on who I feel will be the best for the job at the time of each election. I personally think Gary Doer was a fine Premier. Sam Katz is also a Conservative, and look at what kind of Mayor he makes.
It's impossible to look at a politician in isolation. You need to know who is influencing them because that will have a major effect on their policy. Sam Katz is a prime example of this.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 7:39 PM

Katz says taxes are going up
By Joyanne Pursaga

Mayor Sam Katz has indicated Winnipeggers will face another tax increase next year.

Katz said he anticipated council will continue its plan to raise the property tax 1% to fund infrastructure improvements but will work to ensure the additional tax is as low as possible.

The city raised taxes about 3.87% this year.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/1...s-are-going-up

Well, here's more to look forward to.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:06 PM

When does the criminal investigation begin into Sheegl-Shindleman-Douglas-Katz? All involved are doing everything possible to avoid any public accountability...must be something really damaging in the audit, some forensic accounting that might lead to charges?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
When does the criminal investigation begin into Sheegl-Shindleman-Douglas-Katz? All involved are doing everything possible to avoid any public accountability...must be something really damaging in the audit, some forensic accounting that might lead to charges?
Say something comes up and nothing happens. There should be public outcry and mass lynch mob protest.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 1:54 AM

Tax increases are good, and I am one hundred percent behind them. Phil Sheegl resigned! Best news for Winnipeg since the Jets returned.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 9:21 PM

I need to get a Free Press account so I can comment on these stories. Anyways..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...228607411.html

So the fire hall report came out today. No criminal action was found they say.

Seems to me splitting up the overall contract of $15M into 4 contracts so they wouldn't be over the $10M is pretty shady. Collusion anybody? That's a crime. This is public money people! If you're a private business, do what you will. But this is public politics with public money!

I seen almost the exact thing happen a couple years ago in private industry. Guy had $50k signing authority. Project came over his table was almost $200k. So what happened? Split it into 4 contracts less than the $50k signing authority so he could give it to his buddies company. Guy got fired and arrested. Lost his pension plan, etc. etc. Company got charged by the RCMP. Still before the courts.

This is exactly what should happen to at least Sheegl and Shindico. I don't think this story is over just yet.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I need to get a Free Press account so I can comment on these stories. Anyways..

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...228607411.html

So the fire hall report came out today. No criminal action was found they say.

Seems to me splitting up the overall contract of $15M into 4 contracts so they wouldn't be over the $10M is pretty shady. Collusion anybody? That's a crime. This is public money people! If you're a private business, do what you will. But this is public politics with public money!

I seen almost the exact thing happen a couple years ago in private industry. Guy had $50k signing authority. Project came over his table was almost $200k. So what happened? Split it into 4 contracts less than the $50k signing authority so he could give it to his buddies company. Guy got fired and arrested. Lost his pension plan, etc. etc. Company got charged by the RCMP. Still before the courts.

This is exactly what should happen to at least Sheegl and Shindico. I don't think this story is over just yet.
On top of the contract splitting, the bureaucrats handed the job to Shindico without following the proper process. If nothing else, the fact that this happened with Sheegl's knowledge is cause for termination, the city should fight his golden parachute severance.

There needs to be an investigation into Sheegl and Katz's dealings with Shindico to identify if contracts and $$$ from the City of Winnipeg somehow flowed back into further dealings with Sheegl and Katz or into their pockets.

The $10 million threshold for a deal to come to the council floor is also far too high.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 1:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wait he gets a severance for quiting wtf? hows that even work.........

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 2:04 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
We don't know, it's called "in camera"...

I hate council some times.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 3:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Pretty well every government job gives severance for quitting or retiring.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Pretty well every government job gives severance for quitting or retiring.
That's correct if by "pretty well every" you mean "pretty well none." Otherwise, you're making stuff up.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 4:56 PM
North End Troublemaker

Paula Havixbeck moves to put David Wardrop (director of Transit) as acting CAO instead of Deepak Joshi... I've never had run-ins with Mr. Wardrop, but you would think the director of transit would put transit as a priority?

Source -- http://twitter.com/bkives/status/392661389279383552

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan