HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
There's actually a proposal called "Harbour Landing"?

Did Regina recently get a harbour?
lol lol we do have wascana park that has a marina that kind of like a harbour it has some canoes and what not lol . The reason they call it harbour landings is because the subdivision is right by the Regina International Airport so aircraft landings, airport kind of like a harbour I guess. They have bunch of box stores out there like lowes wal-mart super centers etc etc etc and now they want to build a office park there to.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 4:40 PM

Fun fact: before there were airports, there were air harbours.

Regina's aviation history is actually kind of interesting...

Quote:
http://esask.uregina.ca/entry/aviation.html
Groome’s business partner, Robert McCombie, received aero engineer’s licence No. 1; their airfield (in Regina’s Lakeview district) became Canada’s first licensed “air harbour”; and their Canadian-built JN-4 (Can) Canuck was registered G-CAAA—the first licenced aircraft in Canada. An airport in Saskatoon received licence No. 2.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
There's actually a proposal called "Harbour Landing"?

Did Regina recently get a harbour?
Back in the 'olden' days airports were called air harbours.

Regina was actually home to the country's first federally licensed Air Harbour. Located in what is now the Lakeview neighborhood.

Since Harbour Landing is located just south of the current airport and just to the west of the first Air Harbour in the country I would say the name is fitting.

**EDIT** Sorry I didn't see your post Branny. You beat me.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 6:07 PM
Hmm....

Hmm, I wasn't aware of that myself. Very interesting. Thanks Branny and Golks!

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 1:23 AM

New Regina tower to be Sask.'s largest

Office building fills need for space

By Joe Couture, The Leader-Post May 20, 2011

A massive new tower proposed for downtown Regina will be the largest office building in Saskatchewan, says the City of Regina's planning department.

"The overall floor area is 440,000 square feet, which would make it the largest office building in the province with respect to the floor area," said Fred Searle, manager of the city's development review branch.

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...#ixzz1N2WzeVQa this is why this thread was created

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 2:54 AM

In reference to previous post how cute it is to think a developers cares for nothing more then making money. A office park does little for the GTH when you could build office space on that site for way less. A logistical centre like the GTH won't need this much office space, it is simply about a cheap build here. This developers sees cheap land and a need for office space in the City its not that hard to see.

Regina rolled over to crap when it. was a afterthought. They have leverage at City Hall no and should not give in to this.

Yes I'm all for a sustainable and walkable Regina. I randomly google'd the walking distances I do evrey day here in Toronto. 6.5km each way in 30-35 min, I compared it to Regina and it was about the distance from Cornwall Centre to my old area at around Arcola and University. It was interesting because I would never walk that in Regina unless forced too, but here its a nice and pleasant walk through different communities and time flies by. I hope the same can be for Regina in it's future.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan