HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Museum Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Louisville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 6:45 AM

This project looks very cool. Louisville is an underrated city and deserves something like this. Louisville has too much class to have a sex toy as a building, thank god.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 6:46 AM

^its not a sex toy, but it isnt classy IMO...it basically just screams attention at me...and not in a good way...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 8:44 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
tell me more about "Thunder Over Louisville"...
Its the largest fireworks show in North America, yes larger than Macy's 4th of July in NYC. I believe it is second or third largest in the world, only behind a couple in Asia celebrating Chinese new year. Last year, they estimated 800,000 people attended. To give you an idea of the significance of this, the metro population of Louisville is only 1.3 million. The show lasts 30 minutes and costs 1 million to put on. As someone mentioned, however, it has a 31 million economic impact. So, you spend a dollar, you get 30 back. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The show is free to the public and may be viewed from KY or IN, or a downtown skyscraper if you are connected or have loot. The show will be broadcast in all HDTV this year. It will be seen worldwide on the USA troop network, and will be simulcast on several cable stations. I think CNN may do a delayed broadcast. www.thunderoverlouisville.org

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
^its not a sex toy, but it isnt classy IMO...it basically just screams attention at me...and not in a good way...
I think the 'sex toy' comment was referring to a project in Chicago..

And as for the attenion part, I think that's the one of the strengths of the project. Most skylines in the US (even some of the more impressive ones) have very little that identify them from the others. Not to belittle anything here but how many average people could tell the difference between the skylines of Tampa and San Diego?

With this project, Louisville will have a defining landmark building from which it can create a unique image around.

Do I think it will become as iconic as projects such as the arch in St. Louis? No

However, unlike projects such as that (or even the Space Needle), I think this tower opens the door for future projects in the city to follow the lead set by this building. From an architect's standpoint, Louisville is seen as a city that is open and accepting to new ideas and change.

And that is PRECISELY the image the developers were trying to convey in the first place.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realm0854 View Post
Prince-Ramus recently split off from OMA and is taking the project on under his new firm, REX NY. For anyone who's wondering, Prince-Ramus was also responsible for the Seattle Library and the new campus center at Illinois Institute of Technology. Both buildings are proof that Museum Plaza is going to be highly inventive with materials and spaces.
The Seattle Library and IIT are gorgeous. This proposal is a monstrosity.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppassafi View Post
Its the largest fireworks show in North America, yes larger than Macy's 4th of July in NYC. I believe it is second or third largest in the world, only behind a couple in Asia celebrating Chinese new year. Last year, they estimated 800,000 people attended. To give you an idea of the significance of this, the metro population of Louisville is only 1.3 million. The show lasts 30 minutes and costs 1 million to put on. As someone mentioned, however, it has a 31 million economic impact. So, you spend a dollar, you get 30 back. Not a bad deal if you ask me. The show is free to the public and may be viewed from KY or IN, or a downtown skyscraper if you are connected or have loot. The show will be broadcast in all HDTV this year. It will be seen worldwide on the USA troop network, and will be simulcast on several cable stations. I think CNN may do a delayed broadcast. www.thunderoverlouisville.org
Gee. And people in Cincinnati make a big deal over the Riverfest fireworks, which is puny in comparison. But then again, this is Cincinnati. People make a big deal about the littlest things here, making it sound like it is the best you can find anywhere.

<sigh> If only Cincinnati could see its full potential and do something big. This place depresses me. There really isn't anything around here to be proud of. Everytime we try to do a "grand" project, or even THINK about doing one, some other city in the region beats us to it and does something even better.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 12:32 AM

Pretty interesting....hope it gets built. It never hurts to get something unique and iconic (and a guarenteed conversation starter) to associate with your city. It's so far out there I don't think I could possibly make a 'judgement' until its built and I see it in person.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 2:48 AM

Quote:
If only Cincinnati could see its full potential and do something big. This place depresses me. There really isn't anything around here to be proud of. Everytime we try to do a "grand" project, or even THINK about doing one, some other city in the region beats us to it and does something even better.
Golly..don't post that at Urban Ohio or people will eat you for lunch!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 3:07 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondson View Post
Gee. And people in Cincinnati make a big deal over the Riverfest fireworks, which is puny in comparison. But then again, this is Cincinnati. People make a big deal about the littlest things here, making it sound like it is the best you can find anywhere.

<sigh> If only Cincinnati could see its full potential and do something big. This place depresses me. There really isn't anything around here to be proud of. Everytime we try to do a "grand" project, or even THINK about doing one, some other city in the region beats us to it and does something even better.
what a sobering sentiment

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:20 PM

Fletcher signs bill allowing improvements for Museum Plaza area
Fox41 News
Wednesday, April 4, 2007

With a stroke of a pen Wednesday, Governor Ernie Fletcher did the state's part to make Louisville's $460 million Museum Plaza a reality. Governor Fletcher signed a bill that will allow public land around the huge project to be improved so the skyscraper can be built.

Museum Plaza developers offered a deal that sounded too good to be true. They would build the $330 million multi-use project if the city would spend $130 millon for a floodwall, street improvements, and other infrastructure. But for a time it looked like state lawmakers would not accept the offer.

Steve Wilson, Museum Plaza Developer, said Wednesday, "This is a moment that my wife and I and our partners have dreamed of for almost two years now." That moment -- the signing of a bill giving tax breaks to help Museum Plaza get built -- almost didn't happen.

Developer Craig Greenburg explains, "We've invested approximately $14 million on this project, so far, and this legislation was critical to make this project reality."

Developers proposed using part of the room tax from a Museum Plaza hotel to help pay for public improvements around the development. Since room tax money is used to promote tourism, state tourism officials objected and a big fight broke out during the legislative session.

Governor Fletcher acknoledges, "This was one of the pieces of legislation that made it through kind of a controversial session." He and others credit a united front and hard work by local leaders and legislators for the approval of the tax breaks on the last day of the session.

Now attention can turn to actual construction. As Mayor Jerry Abramson puts it, "I just think they are just all concerned about how and which lanes we are going on close on which streets for all of this construction."

Museum Plaza's "front door" on Main Street has been preserved. Next up -- work by fall to move an LG&E tower and dig a foundation for the world class project which will bring offices and shops, condos, great art, and great interest to Louisville.

State Senator Julie Denton, a Louisville Republican, says, "I see this as changing the whole culture of Louisville. Putting a whole new face on our city. This changes things economically, culturally, educationally, as well as a tourist attraction and recreationally."

With Museum Plaza, a new arena, and a new retail complex all scheduled to open in 2010, Governor Fletcher is offering a new nickname for Main Street. He says Chicago has its Million Dollar Mile and New York has 5th Avenue and Louisville will soon have it's "Billion Dollar Block."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I like the name "Billion Dollar Block."

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:52 PM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Just give it time, give it time. The difference between an architect like Prince-Ramus and most conventional architects is that his firm will continuously modify and add to the design as time goes on. These guys thrive on the process of invention, which is exactly what makes Seattle and IIT two very exciting buildings. The renderings you are seeing now of Museum Plaza don't elaborate on materials very clearly. Everything is still being sketched out and refined. These architects have proven their ability to follow through so I think it's highly premature to write the building off.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:13 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
monstrosity might be a little strong my friend. I think what he meant by that was that seeing as the seattle library and IIT were designed by the same architect, this project is not a joke like most think, there's actually some thought behind it.

and it's pretty damn cool to boot.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:20 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
He says Chicago has its Million Dollar Mile and New York has 5th Avenue and Louisville will soon have it's "Billion Dollar Block."
It's Magnificent Mile, loser

lol jk.......oh and 5th avenue? what about Broadway? doy

ok ill stop now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:31 PM

Since that news story wasn't written by me, I'm gonna assume that "loser" isn't being directed towards me either...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:41 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
Since that news story wasn't written by me, I'm gonna assume that "loser" isn't being directed towards me either...
of course not

i love all my fellow forumers.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:30 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn's article View Post
With Museum Plaza, a new arena, and a new retail complex all scheduled to open in 2010, Governor Fletcher is offering a new nickname for Main Street. He says Chicago has its Million Dollar Mile and New York has 5th Avenue and Louisville will soon have it's "Billion Dollar Block."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahh yes, i'm sure it will be just like 5th Avenue. lol

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:41 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Ahh yes, i'm sure it will be just like 5th Avenue. lol
awww come on, he's the governor of Kentucky. Let the man dream.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:43 PM

poor governor ernie fletcher. he's had his share of moments i'm sure he'd like to forget. like flying over the no-fly zone and evacuating half of DC...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 8:49 PM

Is he trying to infer that Main Street is going to be worth a thousand Magnificant Miles, since a billion is a thousand millions? Sounds like a funny guy.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 9:06 PM

Oh my God people, let him dream in peace.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects