HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This massive thing on 8th street that should be downtown
Apparently that is being built so that a few floors of residential units can be added on top of the three floors they are building now. Assuming the city's rapid transit plans happen and this ends up being a major transit stop, it could be a cool development (though I wish it where right up to the street, instead of having stripmall parking in front o fit).

Last edited by asdfgh; Dec 7, 2019 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:47 PM

The original design/proposal included about 7 floors of residential rental, but it was my understanding that was scrapped and not just delayed.

It would be great if the developer was still open to add residential to this, as that would make total sense as right on BRT and so close to Uni. But I have my doubts.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
I personally think the state of Saskatchewan's economy is extremely stable right now - it's where it should be for stability, but isn't like the hay day we saw ten years ago now. I think if we opened the immigration gates more and did more promotion of Canada to developing countries we could get back to those levels. I don't think we'll see interprovincial migration back to Saskatchewan like we did a decade ago - at least not for the next half century while our economy adjusts. Our government hasn't been planning for the future economy - specifically what we could leverage best on - value-added agriculture food and bio product processing, and promotion of metals that will be utilized for batteries and renewable energy. All of our growth going forward will be slow and stable as our government has a very "hands off" approach to controlling the economy which is uncompetitive when our neighboring economies both provincially and nationally are subsidizing the heck out of everything with unsustainable fiscal stimulus debt. I support going into debt though - we can't compete if our neighbors east and west and using debt to get ahead of us. If you can't beat them, join them!
Agree with a lot of what you said here but not the initial statement. It is very tough out there right now for anyone involved in the construction industry, starting from designers right through to builders/sub-trades/suppliers.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:25 PM

Building Lighting

Out and about last night:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 11:56 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 4:18 AM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Beautiful photos Oiler and roryn1. These new buildings and renos look awesome!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 2:07 PM

Great photos!! Riverlanding site looks really good at night and day. Once plaza is completed that will also add to the beauty of the site. (of course....as well as the Nutrien Tower.)

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 7:53 PM

Nice shots! I like the looks of the lighting on the river quarry! Hope they find a suitable tennant soon. Ideally one that can grow and occupy a future high-rise there as well.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Looking GOOD!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 4:58 PM

I heard Charlie Clark's year end interview on CBC the other day. When talking of downtown development he said (and I am paraphrasing because I cannot remember his exact words):
"the proposed Baydo development at 25th and 5th will bring the number of downtown residential units close to our target of 10000"
He did say "proposed" but just the way he spoke gave me the impression this thing might be farther along than I thought. I went back and looked at the rendering... lordy I hope there are some improvements if it goes ahead.

Happy New Year (and Decade)!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
I heard Charlie Clark's year end interview on CBC the other day. When talking of downtown development he said (and I am paraphrasing because I cannot remember his exact words):
"the proposed Baydo development at 25th and 5th will bring the number of downtown residential units close to our target of 10000"
He did say "proposed" but just the way he spoke gave me the impression this thing might be farther along than I thought. I went back and looked at the rendering... lordy I hope there are some improvements if it goes ahead.

Happy New Year (and Decade)!
Can you provide link to rendering? I went to website and only saw their Broadway one.
Thanks.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 5:37 PM

Hopefully this works...

Baydo Proposal at 25th and 5th

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 8:02 PM

Thanks...and holy cow that is ugly!!

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 8:16 PM

picture it, Bucharest, 1963.. ..wow that is an ugo...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 10:38 PM

I like to hope that the rendering of that building was just quickly done from a model being used for preliminary massing and in no way conveys the finishing and details. If it does get built I hope they can do something stylistically to make it not look like a communist block beyond just making one lower corner a darker shade of stucco than the rest.

Edit: thinking about the massing of this some more, it's just so terrible, there is no consideration for the site itself, clearly no studies were done to optimize sunlight and shadows (and energy efficiency) instead they are going to brute force this to be the absolute minimum price to build per sq ft. and when there is low demand they will just reduce number of floors to suit since their only design consideration is plopping the footprint symetrically onto the site. No chance they will do anything innovative to maximize efficiency just simply install a lack of glazing and insulate the crap out of it.

Last edited by Arts; Dec 31, 2019 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 7:32 PM

I heard they do everything in-house, from conceptual design to blueprints, including all architectural and engineering disciplines. Unfortunately this is probably the limits of their in-house design crew. Anyone with more talent probably owns or works at a design/engineering firm.

On the bright side I also heard that they have recently engaged an outside designer to spruce it up a bit based on negative feedback they have received... not sure from whom... maybe the city? But who knows, maybe some Baydo staff lurking on here were influenced by our “constructive” feedback.

Look at us shaming one boring developer at a time into building something worthwhile!! Jk, but hopefully there is some truth to some improvements coming. Though, we’d be fooling ourselves if we expect anything like riverlanding or highpoint. That’s not their market.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 8:29 PM

It honestly looks like a building crying to be torn down in the name of urban renewal. And it hasn't even been built yet

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 2:34 PM

"Nutrien has now expanded to nine floors [out of the 14-floor building]," Sinclair said. "[That's] a true sign of their continued confidence in the Saskatchewan economy."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ncil-1.5407897

welp I hope the 14 floor comment is just a typo...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
picture it, Bucharest, 1963.. ..wow that is an ugo...
YouTube video of Baydo's architect in action...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiTg...rr_watch_on_yt

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan