HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:18 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
Someone who understands, please explain. Why are they building the garage before pouring the concrete for the ground floor? Is it because they're driving the heavy construction equipment over the area? Would that damage the concrete, so they wait and do it last?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 2:46 PM
texboy texboy is offline
constructor extrodinaire!
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Someone who understands, please explain. Why are they building the garage before pouring the concrete for the ground floor? Is it because they're driving the heavy construction equipment over the area? Would that damage the concrete, so they wait and do it last?
For the most part yes. More than likely the foundation for the garage is piers/grade beams. Therefore there is no need to pour the garage floor until the very end as it is not apart of the structure per se... which saves it from damage from heavy construction equipment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:41 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,231
From my faux calculations, the tower is about halfway up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 10:36 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
For the most part yes. More than likely the foundation for the garage is piers/grade beams. Therefore there is no need to pour the garage floor until the very end as it is not apart of the structure per se... which saves it from damage from heavy construction equipment.
Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
From my faux calculations, the tower is about halfway up.
I agree. Plus the crown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 5:54 AM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Well, it has been a week now - I am guessing they are done using cam #2.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:28 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
If so, that's a shame. I enjoy looking at both sides. You get to see different parts of the process. Hope it comes back up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 10:16 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
Can someone in SA please get a photo of the garage? Specifically the bracings that hold up the large horizontal floorplates. They look like tiny little nubbins on the webcam. Hoping they look bigger in real life.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:06 AM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 12:52 PM
micahinsa micahinsa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post

Okay. Apparently one of my posts was deemed inflammatory, so I’ll try again: the Frost is going to be a wonderful addition to downtown, but I just wish that as a city we would (literally) set our sights higher than writing articles about how excited people are over a 23 floor building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:54 PM
PDD's Avatar
PDD PDD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Can someone in SA please get a photo of the garage? Specifically the bracings that hold up the large horizontal floorplates. They look like tiny little nubbins on the webcam. Hoping they look bigger in real life.
Is this what you were referring to?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 10:11 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
Yes, thanks. They still look tiny to me. Is there something I'm missing (from 2,000 miles away)?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:14 PM
chancla chancla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Okay. Apparently one of my posts was deemed inflammatory, so I’ll try again: the Frost is going to be a wonderful addition to downtown, but I just wish that as a city we would (literally) set our sights higher than writing articles about how excited people are over a 23 floor building.
I lived in Austin when their Frost bank building was built. At the time, it was extremely exciting because it was going to be the city's new tallest. That building was a real catalyst for downtown Austin's growth, because it got people thinking about downtown in a different way than they had before.

This Frost won't be our tallest, but hopefully the excitement this one is bringing will have a similar effect with our downtown. We gotta start somewhere. This is a good start.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 5:38 AM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
I lived in Austin when their Frost bank building was built. At the time, it was extremely exciting because it was going to be the city's new tallest. That building was a real catalyst for downtown Austin's growth, because it got people thinking about downtown in a different way than they had before.

This Frost won't be our tallest, but hopefully the excitement this one is bringing will have a similar effect with our downtown. We gotta start somewhere. This is a good start.
That's something I've thought of. I remember it being built and what has obviously happened since. Thanks for saying it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:42 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago
Posts: 3,879
Everybody still wishes Austin's Frost were taller, just like in 30 years when this building is - from most vantages - blocked from the viewers' sight everyone will wish as well that this would have been built taller.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:17 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
I lived in Austin when their Frost bank building was built. At the time, it was extremely exciting because it was going to be the city's new tallest. That building was a real catalyst for downtown Austin's growth, because it got people thinking about downtown in a different way than they had before.

This Frost won't be our tallest, but hopefully the excitement this one is bringing will have a similar effect with our downtown. We gotta start somewhere. This is a good start.
Correlation is not causation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv
Everybody
Don't overgeneralize.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 2:45 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
^^ I have no problem with either statement. They were both said with good intention for the furtherance of the conversation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 7:51 PM
JACKinBeantown's Avatar
JACKinBeantown JACKinBeantown is offline
JACKinBeantown
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 7,454
I contacted OxBlue to let them know Camera #2 has been down since January 30. You can too. It takes about 20 seconds.

https://oxblue.com/contact/ask-us-a-question.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 8:43 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
^^ I have no problem with either statement. They were both said with good intention for the furtherance of the conversation.
Note to self: no posting until after I've had my coffee
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 6:04 AM
Fryguy Fryguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 636
I do wish it was taller, but I also believe we need more 300-400 footers. If San Antonio did multiple highrises with a tall, 600 ft+ highrise at the center, things might be different. Right now, however, we are at least 4-6 years away from, if this really is a building boom for San Antonio, from anything taller than 400 ft. I don't really care for one tall building in the middle of nowhere. I like variety and density. San Antonio has always been in a unique position to have beautiful historic buildings, with the potential for modern – I can only think of two other cities Chicago, for one, and slightly that of San Francisco, comparative populations, of course; New York is something else.

San Antonio also has a unique downtown that is accessible to all three important attributes of community – living, entertainment, and work. Downtown isn't just a pretty sculpture of city of achievement. Downtown San Antonio has overall importance, especially its walkable downtown through its use of River passage. I love Chicago for its variety. I love walking through Chicago's mix use of buildings and being able to stop and eat around spectacular architecture and towering structures. This is something San Antonio can accomplish. A downtown is not meant to be comprised of short structures, it's where you go to be enveloped by unique architecture and beautiful high-rises that tower above your line of sight. One comment that has always bothered me by others is – "San Antonio is better than any other city (okay) and does not have to compete with other downtown highrises (wrong)." If that is the case then don't use the Tower of Americas or the Tower of Life to showcase San Antonio. We use our downtown's to show achievement and accomplishment through our architectural structures, no different than much of Europe. And, in a similar vein of comparison, London and Paris seemed to be doing an exceptional job by bringing a mix of old and modern to their city centers. The steps taken by these cities allow for appreciation of all types of architecture. Seeing the same types of structures over and over, copying one another is bland and boring. It is no different than the highrises seen through most coastal cities – nothing but white and balcony covered residential structures.

Just today I was downtown, not for work, taking in the sights. I NEVER, sadly, noticed two building on the River - the building where Saltgrass is (i never really saw this building outside of the Riverfront. It is a well taken care of building) and The Vault (I have seen this before, but the parking garage has always pissed me off, so I never really gave this building a true look, again, I work downtown. I have no idea how that parking structure passed design review. Gross). We need more of these type of buildings but taller. I also believe nothing less than 300 ft should be built on the River, but nothing more than 500 ft. Any property on the River should be treated as greatly unique and considered decades lasting and should therefore be considered as such, wherein shortsighted structures, similar to that of an eight-story hotel currently under construction, for instance, should be disallowed.

That's just my take on a few things.

Last edited by Fryguy; Feb 12, 2018 at 6:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 1:26 PM
Restless 1 Restless 1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I also believe nothing less than 300 ft should be built on the River, but nothing more than 500 ft. Any property on the River should be treated as greatly unique and considered decades lasting and should therefore be considered as such, wherein shortsighted structures, similar to that of an eight-story hotel currently under construction, for instance, should be disallowed.

That's just my take on a few things.
I can agree with this to a point. DT proper, sure, but the Northern reaches of the rive could contend with height over 500'.

Just try walking the river South from The Pearl, and not imagine tall, well built structures lining that part to say SAMA. Maybe even further towards DT than that.

We were there at night not long ago, and using the media antennae in the area as a guage, it wasn't hard to imagine at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.