HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
It's almost like roads are a never-ending set of projects that require constant upgrading and replacement.
All the more reason to expect competence in planning and execution.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 3:04 PM

No doubt they handle construction better in places like Toronto and big US cities, but they also have milder climates and can do road work year-round (even in Toronto it's possible; the winters aren't all that cold most of the time, and the cold snaps tend not to last all that long nor be much colder than average cold here in midwinter).

Or you could just do what Winnipeg does, and not fix the roads at all. (I know I'm exaggerating, but it seems the roads there are in really terrible condition in an awful lot of the city. I notice it acutely every time I go there.)

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
The city put up "construction signs, use alternate route" signs after 13th ave...
I've been wondering lately if the city is actually in charge of putting up the signage in these zones. Its usually contractors working and it would make sense they may be less meticulous about putting signs up. I noticed some bypass signage was poor as the interchanges were going up east of the city [Pilot Butte, etc].

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:18 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
The complete and systemic mismanagement of traffic flow during construction as well as planning of construction work times is absolutely not tolerated in every city the size of Regina or larger. Here, we ask people to be patient.

I mean, the city puts up 'road closed ahead' signs past the last possible exit. They closed off lanes for weeks on Arcola at the Ring Road overpass for a bus right of way that has never been used... even once. They closed off the access to the service road north of Vic, only to build a temporary access, only to close it off again with barriers blocking the temporary access.
Well, it does explain why, as my mom told me, Regina drivers, and by extension Saskatchewan drivers, are one of the angriest and road rage drivers in the country. lmao

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Well, it does explain why, as my mom told me, Regina drivers, and by extension Saskatchewan drivers, are one of the angriest and road rage drivers in the country. lmao
I have a different theory. Drivers in Regina tend towards the rude side because we have enough traffic that driving can be annoying here, but not so much that people always have to cooperate to get anywhere. Drive on the freeways in Toronto and you realize quickly that you cooperate or you die in your car in gridlock.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 3:36 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

^^ i think in every city we think we have the worst drivers

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I doubt if Lynn Lake has any traffic issues...

I agree that every city seems to think that their drivers are the worst.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Probably fair that most cities think their [drivers; urban planners; constructions projects; etc] are the worst... but I'll take driving in Ottawa or Toronto any day over driving in Regina.

Regina drivers are terrible. Basic concepts evade a disproportionate portion of our population - these people, in turn, screw things up for other drivers.

(the classic example is the acceleration lane from south Albert onto the Ring Road east. Yes, the loop could be bigger; and yes, the road surface under the bridge doesn't drain properly, so puddles form; and yes, the acceleration lane could be longer; and yes, there are a million other excuses... look at the Queensway in Ottawa or any of the sections of the 400 series in urban centres... accelerations/deceleration lanes are often short, with tough turns in them, start/end in residential neighbourhoods, and the flow of traffic is routinely going 120-125kmh (140 in the centre lanes). Drivers manage to get onto the freeway, and merge into traffic without - for example - stopping in the acceleration lane/ driving on the shoulder (there usually isn't one)/ cutting others off/ etc. It's not rocket science.)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 10:39 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 2:57 PM

I agree that drivers in Toronto are, on average, better (though there are a few extremely terrible ones) but I would not trade my Regina commute for a Toronto commute for anything less than a seven-figure sum.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I agree that drivers in Toronto are, on average, better (though there are a few extremely terrible ones) but I would not trade my Regina commute for a Toronto commute for anything less than a seven-figure sum.
completely agree - I'll take a slooooow commute (e.g. Ring Road train; or construction delays/detours) in Regina over a Toronto or Ottawa commute any day.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Probably fair that most cities think their [drivers; urban planners; constructions projects; etc] are the worst... but I'll take driving in Ottawa or Toronto any day over driving in Regina.

Regina drivers are terrible. Basic concepts evade a disproportionate portion of our population - these people, in turn, screw things up for other drivers.

(the classic example is the acceleration lane from south Albert onto the Ring Road east. Yes, the loop could be bigger; and yes, the road surface under the bridge doesn't drain properly, so puddles form; and yes, the acceleration lane could be longer; and yes, there are a million other excuses... look at the Queensway in Ottawa or any of the sections of the 400 series in urban centres... accelerations/deceleration lanes are often short, with tough turns in them, start/end in residential neighbourhoods, and the flow of traffic is routinely going 120-125kmh (140 in the centre lanes). Drivers manage to get onto the freeway, and merge into traffic without - for example - stopping in the acceleration lane/ driving on the shoulder (there usually isn't one)/ cutting others off/ etc. It's not rocket science.)
I have now been driving in Ottawa for 2 years now. The level of idiocy is in direct relation to the number of drivers on the road. Last two days I've seen driver decisions that make me keep my head on a swivel. The best one was the dude who thought he was going to miss his offramp so he hammered on his brakes and swept across two lanes to get in the offramp ahead of me. Problem was I don't think he noticed the semi with the load of paving stones right on his ass, so thank god he took the radical turn to the right because that semi wasn't going to stop at all. But he also missed the guy in the lane beside him by just millimetres. Thankfully for me I had lots of room to hit the brakes and not have someone rear end me or if everything had gone south for this guy, his flipping and carrenning car would not impact me.
Crap like this happens every day on the 417 and its amazing (or maybe the experience of the drivers?) that there aren't more accidents!

This is all to say that no place has the corner on bad/good drivers. There's jackasses everywhere. For me, I'm getting a monthly bus pass starting next month so I don't have to worry (much) about getting into accidents!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:20 AM

The head of PCL or one of their depts. was I our restaurant last week. Knew his parents as customers for
years so got to know there son well enough to ask him what they were doing in the Cornwall Centre. He said he thought one store was relocating from the mall and also a high-end Vancouver style bar/ restaurant was one of the other new occupants! I said hopefully we’ll see a lot of glass happening, he just chuckled and said yes!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:48 PM
Pride is our downfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo Regina Lover View Post
The head of PCL or one of their depts. was I our restaurant last week. Knew his parents as customers for
years so got to know there son well enough to ask him what they were doing in the Cornwall Centre. He said he thought one store was relocating from the mall and also a high-end Vancouver style bar/ restaurant was one of the other new occupants! I said hopefully we’ll see a lot of glass happening, he just chuckled and said yes!
The store is Shoppers and the restaurant sure is sounding like Cactus Club, as someone already mentioned.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:55 PM

I'll put my hat in the box of also hearing Cactus Club from industry. Not sure where exactly they'll put it though.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I'll put my hat in the box of also hearing Cactus Club from industry. Not sure where exactly they'll put it though.
I would not bet on Cornwall.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Could it be the second floor 6,600 sqft remaining space overlooking Hamilton Street?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 6:37 PM
Pride is our downfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Could it be the second floor 6,600 sqft remaining space overlooking Hamilton Street?
They would probably want a patio like most of their locations have. It would be covered by the parking garage but they could open up the NE wall to have the illusion of a patio. They also probably want easy parking and perhaps the Sears parkade would provide that on evenings and weekends. Overall, it doesn't make sense for Cactus Club to be going in Sears but who knows.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
They would probably want a patio like most of their locations have. It would be covered by the parking garage but they could open up the NE wall to have the illusion of a patio. They also probably want easy parking and perhaps the Sears parkade would provide that on evenings and weekends. Overall, it doesn't make sense for Cactus Club to be going in Sears but who knows.
Patio space overlooking Hamilton or Sask Drive would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 9:21 PM
arf

Based on the timeliness of cleaning bird poop off the hotel on the corner of Sask/Hamilton it would not be my pick for patios to want to be at.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan