HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1101  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 6:24 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 6,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Delta has always flown between here and MSP. The economy/job situation sucks here right now.
I know, and that was my point. There was more at play than just losing flights. The flights were lost because of lower volumes (the same reason that Winnipeg and Edmonton lost United flights - though Winnipeg still had healthy growth overall).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1102  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 9:10 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I know, and that was my point. There was more at play than just losing flights. The flights were lost because of lower volumes (the same reason that Winnipeg and Edmonton lost United flights - though Winnipeg still had healthy growth overall).
The REAL raison d' être as to why United dropped Regina and Saskatoon is due to aircraft utilization/frequency. The load factors were high; however, QR's and XE's flight legs were among United's longest. United wanted to use their aircraft for shorter legs for more $$$/day. Even though the seat-mile costs are higher on short legs, there was still less revenue/fewer legs per aircraft per day when United was flying here. That equalled fewer dollars. So, good-bye Regina and Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1103  
Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 9:35 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,322
I don't know if anyone wants to, or can, but it would be nice if the Regina International Airport Wikipedia page could be updated with some new photos and maybe some extended history. Saskatoon's has a much more expanded history and references to expansion etc. and it would be nice to add some more info and photos (some of the vintage ones recently posted) to Regina's page.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Feb 15, 2016 at 9:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1104  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 8:34 AM
kalin_10 kalin_10 is offline
ConstructionPete
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 310
YXE Passenger Count Decreased in 2015

According to Saskatoon International Airport, passenger numbers decreased in 2015. Unofficial figures show that 1,443,446 people travelled through the airport in 2015; a decrease of approximately 41,169 passengers or 2.78%. Not an overly positive figure; however, considering the loss of United Service and decrease in the provincial economy, it may just be a hiccup in future growth. See the stats here.
__________________
I heard that Saskatoon's new downtown highrise correctional facility will be opening in the near future... only one peculiar thing about it; it's signage says 'Holiday Inn and Suites'.

Last edited by kalin_10; Feb 17, 2016 at 9:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1105  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:14 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
According to Saskatoon International Airport, passenger numbers decreased in 2015. Unofficial figures show that 1,443,446 people travelled through the airport in 2015; a decrease of approximately 41,169 passengers or 2.78%. Not an overly positive figure; however, considering the loss of United Service and decrease in the provincial economy, it may just be a hiccup in future growth. See the stats here.
Holy crap!!! That is bad. ( . . . and yet, 19 of YXE's pax movements were from your's truly; I gave YQR 4 movements for 2015.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1106  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 2:02 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Holy crap!!! That is bad. ( . . . and yet, 19 of YXE's pax movements were from your's truly; I gave YQR 4 movements for 2015.)
You must eat lots of fiber 😜 Tee hee hee.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1107  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:08 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
That doesn't really follow, as they could have switched to Delta to Minneapolis, or Air Canada to Winnipeg.
There were often connecting passengers on those flights. All of that is lost. Plus flyers just stop going because it becomes too inconvenient to get places, especially DEN and ORD. This is especially true if you were travelling for one meeting or a quick weekend of sports, concerts or shopping. This is my personal experience anyway. I just don't go now.

I believe it was 3 arrivals and 3 departures per day lost on 50 seat RJ's. That is 300 pax per day capacity or over 100k per year. I would bet close to half that is permanently lost.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1108  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 6:33 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There were often connecting passengers on those flights. All of that is lost. Plus flyers just stop going because it becomes too inconvenient to get places, especially DEN and ORD. This is especially true if you were travelling for one meeting or a quick weekend of sports, concerts or shopping. This is my personal experience anyway. I just don't go now.

I believe it was 3 arrivals and 3 departures per day lost on 50 seat RJ's. That is 300 pax per day capacity or over 100k per year. I would bet close to half that is permanently lost.
The flights to ORD utilised 700-Series RJs. (Typically 20-25 more pax/per a/c than 200-Series a/c.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1109  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:14 AM
TechnicalRecession TechnicalRecession is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
According to Saskatoon International Airport, passenger numbers decreased in 2015. Unofficial figures show that 1,443,446 people travelled through the airport in 2015; a decrease of approximately 41,169 passengers or 2.78%. Not an overly positive figure; however, considering the loss of United Service and decrease in the provincial economy, it may just be a hiccup in future growth. See the stats here.
According to this article YQR's numbers also decreased, by .5%, likely due to similar reasons.

http://leaderpost.com/news/local-new...c-holds-steady

credit LP

Other interesting info from the article:
• Facing “big take-up on sun destinations”, the airport has added additional flights to Cuba and Freeport in the Bahamas to its list of winter destinations;

• Airport authority management has not taken to its board of directors a plan for an expansion of the Regina airport terminal building, saying 2016 “will be a year of study” that will help it understand the options available and how they could be financed;

• The “groundside” multi-tenant facility being built at the airport near the Shell Aerocentre has opened and is “mostly operational.” The nearby “airside” facility, which will be used by firms whose business takes them onto the ramp to service aircraft, is nearing completion. Tenant improvement work begins in the spring and this building is expected to open in the autumn;
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1110  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 12:07 PM
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
There were often connecting passengers on those flights. All of that is lost. Plus flyers just stop going because it becomes too inconvenient to get places, especially DEN and ORD. This is especially true if you were travelling for one meeting or a quick weekend of sports, concerts or shopping. This is my personal experience anyway. I just don't go now.

I believe it was 3 arrivals and 3 departures per day lost on 50 seat RJ's. That is 300 pax per day capacity or over 100k per year. I would bet close to half that is permanently lost.
When I use to live in Saskatoon I regularly used the Denver flight. The number of passengers for which DEN was a final destination had to be small. I found it convenient heading to California. MSP added quite a bit of extra flying.

I could see the ORD having more people heading to Chicago on business (bigger city) and YXE has several major corporate entities with strong ties in Chicago.

I don't think the united flights is the main driver for the change in numbers. There was a good number of passengers on flights into Edmonton or Calgary that were connecting on to FortMac or other parts of Alberta. I would expect that to have been a major contributor. There were charter flight but quite a few people on regular commercial flights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1111  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 2:09 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
When I use to live in Saskatoon I regularly used the Denver flight. The number of passengers for which DEN was a final destination had to be small. I found it convenient heading to California. MSP added quite a bit of extra flying.

I could see the ORD having more people heading to Chicago on business (bigger city) and YXE has several major corporate entities with strong ties in Chicago.

I don't think the united flights is the main driver for the change in numbers. There was a good number of passengers on flights into Edmonton or Calgary that were connecting on to FortMac or other parts of Alberta. I would expect that to have been a major contributor. There were charter flight but quite a few people on regular commercial flights.
I would agree about Ft. Mac. There are (OR WERE) lots of commuters to that place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1112  
Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:49 PM
kalin_10 kalin_10 is offline
ConstructionPete
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
According to Saskatoon International Airport, passenger numbers decreased in 2015. Unofficial figures show that 1,443,446 people travelled through the airport in 2015; a decrease of approximately 41,169 passengers or 2.78%. Not an overly positive figure; however, considering the loss of United Service and decrease in the provincial economy, it may just be a hiccup in future growth. See the stats here.
Speaking to an SAA rep, traffic loss was mainly focused on transborder and in province travel, again confirming loss of United service has negatively affected operations at Saskatoon International Airport.
__________________
I heard that Saskatoon's new downtown highrise correctional facility will be opening in the near future... only one peculiar thing about it; it's signage says 'Holiday Inn and Suites'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1113  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 5:17 AM
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Speaking to an SAA rep, traffic loss was mainly focused on transborder and in province travel, again confirming loss of United service has negatively affected operations at Saskatoon International Airport.
Kalin, Was that based on final destination or first stop. I know if I was heading to San Francisco when united operated the flight I would do YXE-DEN-SFO. Without the Denver flight I would be more likely to do YXE-YYC-SFO or YXE-YVR-SFO. I could see a lot of the passangers on the Denver flight shifting to connecting in YYC, YVR, or YWG.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1114  
Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:27 PM
kalin_10 kalin_10 is offline
ConstructionPete
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 310
YXE Best in North America

Saskatoon International Airport (YXE) is pleased to announce that it been awarded the Airport Council International (ACI)’s award for the Most Improved Airport in North America in 2015.


The ASQ program is used to benchmark passenger satisfaction at airports worldwide. “Saskatoon International Airport is committed to be the most valued airport experience in Canada,” says Stephen Maybury, President and CEO of Saskatoon Airport Authority. “Together with our airport partners, we have made significant strides in improving service quality to be acknowledged as the Most Improved Airport in North America”. YXE plans to continue to build on these scores to improve key areas such as parking and other value-adding terminal services.

Read more.
__________________
I heard that Saskatoon's new downtown highrise correctional facility will be opening in the near future... only one peculiar thing about it; it's signage says 'Holiday Inn and Suites'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1115  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 2:31 AM
casper casper is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
Saskatoon International Airport (YXE) is pleased to announce that it been awarded the Airport Council International (ACI)’s award for the Most Improved Airport in North America in 2015.


The ASQ program is used to benchmark passenger satisfaction at airports worldwide. “Saskatoon International Airport is committed to be the most valued airport experience in Canada,” says Stephen Maybury, President and CEO of Saskatoon Airport Authority. “Together with our airport partners, we have made significant strides in improving service quality to be acknowledged as the Most Improved Airport in North America”. YXE plans to continue to build on these scores to improve key areas such as parking and other value-adding terminal services.

Read more.
I have to agree. I passed through YXE about three months ago. Given the relative size and traffic of the airport the airport layout is impressive. Definite improvement over the previous expansion. I remember when it was still under Transport Canada control before the airport expansion. That was tight.

One complaint I have. Long ago I learned to avoid Hertz car rental in Saskatoon, since their "Airport" counter was actually a taxi ride away in an industrial strip mall.

Well on my last trip I used Thrifty car rental. Very disappointed. For what ever reason Hertz is now in the terminal building and the Thrifty "airport location" is actually in the Saskatoon Inn lobby. One calls for the Saskatoon Inn shuttle to take you out to the hotel, when you can then fill out the paper work and pickup your rental card.

Saskatoon needs one more rental car counter spot. Having one of the major brands relegated to being offsite is silly and a real pain.

The rest of the airport experience is excellent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1116  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 4:42 PM
Brutopian Brutopian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 831
Saskatoon airport posts nation's top on-time departure stats

Saskatoon StarPhoenix

February 29, 2016


Leaving Saskatoon on a jet plane has never been easier. The John G. Diefenbaker International Airport reported the best on-time performance record of any airport in the country last year.

“Our guests have a stated departure time on their boarding pass. We work collaboratively with all of our partners to facilitate efficient operations and contribute to a positive experience at our airport,” Saskatoon Airport Authority president and CEO Stephen Maybury said in a statement.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...eparture-stats
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1117  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:32 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,283
The SAA made a dumb-ass move by severing Wayne Hicks Drive though; that pissed-off a lot of people within the airport community there. Hmmmm.

The terminal is well-planned and MOST functional. (Although it could use some interior visual appeal due to its utilitarian appearance. Time will tell.)

Kudos to YXE!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1118  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:57 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
The SAA made a dumb-ass move by severing Wayne Hicks Drive though; that pissed-off a lot of people within the airport community there. Hmmmm.

The terminal is well-planned and MOST functional. (Although it could use some interior visual appeal due to its utilitarian appearance. Time will tell.)

Kudos to YXE!
Congrats to Saskatoon! Though I am still soooooo eager to see what Regina will do with the terminal!!!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1119  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 9:18 PM
SkydivePilot SkydivePilot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: REGINA
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Congrats to Saskatoon! Though I am still soooooo eager to see what Regina will do with the terminal!!!!!
Oh yeah, the layout of the YQR's expanded terminal will be interesting to say the least. I'm betting that the expansion plans will be unveiled by mid-2017. This will then be the 4th expansion of YQR's terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1120  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 11:10 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Oh yeah, the layout of the YQR's expanded terminal will be interesting to say the least. I'm betting that the expansion plans will be unveiled by mid-2017. This will then be the 4th expansion of YQR's terminal.
You keep saying 2017 but for some reason I keep thinking you are gonna say the plans will be released mid-March 2016 hehe 😉
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.