HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 1:20 AM

SA Skyscraper Height Estimations using Live Local

Using pen, paper, a ruler, a calculator, and Windows Live Local Bird's Eye View, I have calculated the heights of DTSA.

Before I get in depth, I'll go ahead and say that based on this the Marriott Rivercenter is much shorter than thought.

Ok, here we go:

I've been able to calculate the heights of these buildings because Live Local takes pictures of everything from the same height. Ground level pictures just don't work, as I found out all afternoon yesterday. However, depending which angle you view a building, the scale is either 40, 50, or 60 yards. But as long as each angle I measured from was on the same scale (50), it should be close enough to estimate. So, we've got the vantage point height and scale the same for every building.

I did this is by using proportions and basing all buildings off of the Bank of America Plaza. I chose BOAP because we haven't really felt that its height is necessarily incorrect.

Based on this what we've been recently thinking about the heights are true. The Grand Hyatt is higher than the roof of the Marriott - by 22'.
The Weston Centre is higher than the roof of the Marriott - by 55'.

Results:
Bank of America Plaza - 387' Roof
Weston Centre - 418' Roof - 457' Frame
Marriott Rivercenter - 402' Roof - 472' Pyramid - 511' Spire
Tower Life - 387' Roof - 410' Base of Antenna - 588' Antenna
Tower of the Americas - 619' Main Roof - 635' Base of Antenna - Antenna height not calculated because it wouldn't fit in the same frame.

Tallest:
1. Tower of the Americas - 635' (Visual)
2. Marriott Rivercenter - 472' (Visual) 511' (Technical)
3. Weston Centre - 457' (Visual)
4. Grand Hyatt San Antonio - 424' (Visual)
5. Tower Life - 410' (Visual)
6. Bank of America Plaza - 387' (Visual)

You guys are free to check my calculations. Here are pictures of my work, and I apologize that it's kinda' hard to see. Just ask if you've got any questions about how I did it.

Last edited by ydoc14; Oct 28, 2007 at 9:09 PM. Reason: Needed to change things so it wouldn't sound like I'm labeling my numbers as being the official building heights.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio