HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 8:05 PM
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
WRONG!. The Islands are 4 meters (that will be more then 13 ft) above the sea level, more then Dubai city on shore and other places around the World housing hundreds of millions of people.
4 Meters? Where did it say that?

Quote:
WRONG AGAIN! Who mentioned anything about building on land? Singapore, Hong Kong, The Netherlands and Japan were mentioned becouse of their MASSIVE land reclamation projects.
OH gee, Was I TALKING about Hong Kong, or Singapore? NO. Besides look at these projects, Aside from "the World", apparently theres much more in store. Another massive palm tree? Why couldnt they do these projects on land?

Who's laughing now [/QUOTE]

Your laughing? You know, its not that serious. Someone really loves their enviromentially disastorous city.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
World Machine

Quote:
It uses processed water from the treatment of the sewages that are not dumped in the sea, lakes and rivers as you do overthere.

Who's laughing now
Your are in-accurate. In the United States we recycle our water through filtration systems and re-utilize it. However they do dump sewage in rivers, lakes, and in the ocean in Canada (primarily Victoria).

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 3:42 AM

^ Actually, I think he meant the majority of US communities don't recycle water, which I believe is true. Take the Midwest for example. I could be wrong though as some of the larger cities (because they have more people) recycle more water.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:38 AM
LEBANON

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
Well, I know some Americans that are considering living there for a while, since its like the new frontier in terms of job opportunities. They are choosing between Dubai and Moscow...I personally would pick Dubai.

Yeah, their policies against gays aren't great, but I think people are just discreet about it.

I don't know if your argument that they're strict on the death penalty is a bad thing? I for one would wish that we'd be more strict in the US...would reduce crime significantly.

It is a personal choice and I'm sure Dubai isn't for everyone, but I would imagine that living in Dubai would be a lot easier than living in a much stricter Arab country, like Saudi Arabia or Iran.
You are right, it is a very pro-Western country and many foreigners are moving there.

But FYI, Iran is not an Arab country, it's Persian.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Cuff View Post
I assume you're attempting to prove a point by using the dunce smiley, though I'm not exactly sure what it is.
My point is that ice shelves are attached to land and do not float on their own, therefore your ice cube theory is retarded.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
My point is that ice shelves are attached to land and do not float on their own, therefore your ice cube theory is retarded.
I never said they float, I said visible portions are above water, which would therefor raise the level of the ocean upon melting. Learn to read.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 5:35 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ haha. yea, i think your attributing that cube thing to the wrong person (not to mention any names, a-"ebur.."-choo.)

as for dubai, the pace of development is indeed amazing. there can be no doubt tho that it has an effect on the environment.

Last edited by northbay; Jul 3, 2007 at 5:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 6:22 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

I'm impressed with all the new roads on the 2006 satellite photos compared to the 1960's image.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 6:33 PM
nuttin

Not many developed countries do a god enough job recycling water ,Australia included. And right now we are paying the price for our previous greed with Sydneys dams as an example being at 30% capacity,hence level 4 and 5 water restrictions are in place, The gov is having a nightmare of a time trying to combat this , one plan included desalination plants as Dubai is constructing atm, but was rejected as the result is huge amounts of sea brine which needs to be dumped

-just another point for Dubai bashers

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
New York and Los Angeles will be under water.
If at all it won't be until I am like 80 and I am 27 right now. I think we would figure something out by then. You may not be able to stop mother nature but you can surely stall her and mess around a little bit.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 1:22 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl1 View Post
If at all it won't be until I am like 80 and I am 27 right now. I think we would figure something out by then. You may not be able to stop mother nature but you can surely stall her and mess around a little bit.
You have been watching the "Day After Tommorrow" too much. NYC and LA are not New Orleans. They will not be "under water"..........

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 4:35 AM
nuttin

all they need to do is dig a big ass hole somewhere and channel the water to it , perhaps Africa would be a good location for it

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 6:30 AM
Babylon falling

^^^ Yeah just fill up the Sahara desert with sea water, fuck it nothing is there anyway. Or the interior of Australia where they filmed Mad Max with Mel Gibson, probably one of the most stark landscapes on the planet.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
nuttin

^^^ While we need the water in Australia our lands are already full of salt and it would upset the natives

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary View Post
I never said they float, I said visible portions are above water, which would therefor raise the level of the ocean upon melting. Learn to read.

Ya my bad, I mixed up what you quoted with what you posted. My comments were not intended for you.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2007, 8:07 PM

UAE's GDP climbed to 188 Billion.

Their economy started off from oil. They are moving away from oil rapidly.
When the oil disappears , their economy will survive.

as for who would want to live there? The world is not just the U.S. UAE is filled with immigrants. If you don't want to live in the Middle East then don't. It is no worse than living in Russia or China. There are hundreds of millions of people who do live in the M.E and lots more in Asia who go to UAE to live.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2007, 5:22 AM
Coping with the Cosmos

I go away two days...

Sheesh.

Oh, and about sea levels rising... the Arctic ice sheets are mostly floating. If they melt, sea levels will not rise. Ice occupies more volume than water.

Greenland' ice sheets largely rest below sea level in the interior of what would be otherwise an archipelago. Not that they are even melting, mind you. The central Greenland ice sheet is actually still thickening. Precipitation is freezing onto it, and for the time being it is going nowhere.

Antarctica? Well that continent happens to have an average elevation of 4,000 metres above sea level. Temperatures never go above zero in the interior, even in summer. Antarctica is so damn cold global temperatures would have to rise 20 C just to make that continent like the Arctic.

There will be loss of ice cover in the Arctic, and on the Antarctic Peninsula, yes.

But this will not result in catastrophic worldwide flooding. There will be no gondolas in NYC this century.

Does this mean we should not restrict pollution? I say no. But I am more concerned about smog and ground-level ozone than global warming. The former have immediate deleterious effects on health, the latter is a more abstract bogeyman.

Anyway, Dubai's change in the last few years is stunning.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 6:02 PM

Last edited by Dr. Taco; Jul 10, 2007 at 6:05 PM. Reason: double post

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 6:03 PM

This whole global warming thing is making me fucking sick. I'm so tired of it! When it comes to rising temperatures, of course its solely due to mankind! We are awesome and amazing and foolish and selfish and have such great power! But, when it comes to defending ourselves against global warming, all we can say is "New York and Los Angeles will be underwater". "Hundreds of Millions of people will drown of be left homeless" and other quotes assume that people won't, I don't know, move to a different location before their 80 year time limit is up. Fuck

This thread is about Dubai's progress, and I'd love it if it stayed that way.

I read this article: http://www.iht.com/bin/print.php?id=6515813

It tells about how Dubai would like to have the busiest air hub in the world, and why they have the advantage to do so.

Also, this quote:

"Oil revenues have been declining as a percentage of Dubai's economy prepares for the day that its reserves dwindle. Today, oil represents only 5 percent of Dubai's economy, which increasingly relies on revenue from superluxurious hotels, a growing financial center and on serving as the regional headquarters for global brands."

5 percent. I used to be under the impression that these guys were just sitting on oil money, and when it ran out, they'd be screwed. However, the ruling family of the UAE realizes that and is preparing for it, no matter how gaudy, grand, childish, or elaborate their plans are. I think its completely wise, and I give Dubai a million props for their ambitions, even though I still think Dubai is the Wisconsin Dells of the world

Also, good job on this little highlights show, nunavuter

Old Posted Jul 10, 2007, 9:08 PM

and yeah, dredging with the current sand/ocean-floor shortage currently facing us will be absolutely catastrophic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture