HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 2:26 PM

https://b-m.facebook.com/MorleyHoppn...pe=3&source=48

Construction is slated for March 2022. Morley Hoppner has been selected as the construction partner.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:58 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamgirkhan View Post
https://b-m.facebook.com/MorleyHoppn...pe=3&source=48

Construction is slated for March 2022. Morley Hoppner has been selected as the construction partner.
That's great news. I've been excited for this one for a while now. Good overall height, varied heights on the towers, mixed use, down the street from LRT and I like the look.

Crazy they are building the taller one first though. They never do that.

The east 417 corridor is changing. With Frontier and the Gloucester center happening this will be the next thing you see coming in from the east. It should be quite prominent. I think the next big thing you will see are the 4 buildings at Robinson.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 1:31 PM

So the Mandarin Ogilvie Restaurant and the Win Tai Market (corner of Cummings & Ogilvie) would be gone?

Last edited by eltodesukane; May 26, 2022 at 10:58 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
So the Mandarin Ogilvie Restaurant and the Win Tai Market (corner of Cummings & Ogilvie) would be gone?
No, it will be diagonal across the intersection. South-West corner where the chip stands are.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
No. Proposal is across the street, where the high-tension wires and French fry stand(s?) are.

Speaking of the plaza, anyone else remember when it was "Mugs" that took up the space on the left?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:06 PM

^ Wasn't that the location of the old east-end Grace O'Malley's?

(Edit: never mind- that's another (vacant) building on the same site.)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitZilla View Post
^ Wasn't that the location of the old east-end Grace O'Malley's?
That is the building to the immediate right, you can see a glimpse of it on the far right in the picture

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:20 PM

Speaking of that plaza, it’s up for sale.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...oad-ottawa-ici

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 11:58 PM

RIP Gracies

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCitizen View Post
No, it will be diagonal across the intersection. South-West corner where the chip stands are.
Thank you. Makes more sense. My mistake.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 5:31 PM

As a frequenter of long-term stay hotels in other cities, I don't understand why members of this community think patrons of such places don't use transit.

We do.

So, looking at this location as if I was coming in to consult for the Blair Rd government sites, it would be a great choice (depending on price.)

If we came in by car, we'd park it at the hotel for most of the stay.

It is a couple of stops from the train station if we arrived by rail.

We'd take a taxi or Uber from the airport to save time but transit is an option.

It is a 2KM walk to work so not unmanageable. Agreed, it isn't the most pleasant but there are options to go through parkland once across the Aviation Parkway that add under 1km but also add greenery.

It is a 12 minute bus ride, one bus door to door.

Groceries are just a 6 minute walk away at Food Basics. (Or go to Blair for Walmart/Loblaws plus BulkBarn for recipe amounts of ingredients.)

The LRT to Blair also offers restaurants, shopping, cinema. (Convenient for dinner after work, then LRT or bus back to the hotel.)

Walk 7 minutes to St. Laurent for restaurants, shopping, cinema.

LRT to downtown for touristy stuff.

Quick access to the highway for visiting other places around the city. If I didn't bring my own car, Enterprise car rental is down the street and will pick me up when I want to rent a car, Hertz is within walking distance.

If I was doing contract work downtown, the hotel would still be attractive because of the short walk to the LRT. But price would be an additional factor in that case since it is competing with the downtown all-suite hotels. On the other hand, I expect parking to be more limited at downtown hotels, so this hotel may offer better value if I'm driving to Ottawa.

In DC (suburban Virginia) the long term stay hotel we used had a local shuttle that will take us anywhere within 5 miles so that's what was used to get to the government offices each day and for going out to eat in the evenings. The same was true when working in Long Beach, CA. Whether this hotel will offer that to encourage more CSE CSIS contractors is to be seen (this is more a US thing but since we work in Canada much, I can't say if hotels here offer it.)

Old Posted Nov 15, 2021, 7:03 PM

I'm excited for this development to get off the ground! This is going to be a huge change for the area.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
As a frequenter of long-term stay hotels in other cities, I don't understand why members of this community think patrons of such places don't use transit.

We do.

So, looking at this location as if I was coming in to consult for the Blair Rd government sites, it would be a great choice (depending on price.)

If we came in by car, we'd park it at the hotel for most of the stay.

It is a couple of stops from the train station if we arrived by rail.

We'd take a taxi or Uber from the airport to save time but transit is an option.

It is a 2KM walk to work so not unmanageable. Agreed, it isn't the most pleasant but there are options to go through parkland once across the Aviation Parkway that add under 1km but also add greenery.

It is a 12 minute bus ride, one bus door to door.

Groceries are just a 6 minute walk away at Food Basics. (Or go to Blair for Walmart/Loblaws plus BulkBarn for recipe amounts of ingredients.)

The LRT to Blair also offers restaurants, shopping, cinema. (Convenient for dinner after work, then LRT or bus back to the hotel.)

Walk 7 minutes to St. Laurent for restaurants, shopping, cinema.

LRT to downtown for touristy stuff.

Quick access to the highway for visiting other places around the city. If I didn't bring my own car, Enterprise car rental is down the street and will pick me up when I want to rent a car, Hertz is within walking distance.

If I was doing contract work downtown, the hotel would still be attractive because of the short walk to the LRT. But price would be an additional factor in that case since it is competing with the downtown all-suite hotels. On the other hand, I expect parking to be more limited at downtown hotels, so this hotel may offer better value if I'm driving to Ottawa.

In DC (suburban Virginia) the long term stay hotel we used had a local shuttle that will take us anywhere within 5 miles so that's what was used to get to the government offices each day and for going out to eat in the evenings. The same was true when working in Long Beach, CA. Whether this hotel will offer that to encourage more CSE CSIS contractors is to be seen (this is more a US thing but since we work in Canada much, I can't say if hotels here offer it.)
Agreed. When looking for a hotel in a city with rail transit, we do consider parking, but want to be near transit. We get their, park the car and use transit for the rest of the trip (unless visiting something in the boonies). The hotel proposed here on Cyrville would be a good candidate based on what we usually look for, as long as it's cheaper than a downtown hotel.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 3:55 PM

Can anybody confirm that construction has started.
Saw bulldozers on the site

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemay View Post
Can anybody confirm that construction has started.
Saw bulldozers on the site
Site prep is definitely underway. The trees are gone and the ground has been leveled out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:59 AM

Awesome! This looks like it will become our third tallest building for a short while if it's starting now!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 6:37 PM

Won't be particularly walkable, but looking forward to seeing these tower clusters around many O-Train Stations, reminiscent of Vancouver.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:55 PM

Plenty of activity on site last week, I saw three dump trucks get loaded and leave while I waited for my Poutine. It's nice to see some work still being done in this city!

Old Posted May 26, 2022, 6:38 PM

Look like the proposed elevations have been updated. A bit of colour and detail lost.

https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...0-0188/details

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa