HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

LUX [1178 Cummings Ave & 1098 Ogilvie Rd] | 27/79/85/110m | 8/25/27/35f | U/C

An 85 townhome residential development is being proposed on lands located in the southwest quadrant of the Ogilvie/Cummings intersection. The municipal address is known as 1098 Ogilvie Road and 1178 Cummings Avenue. These lands are currently vacant with an unpaved parking lot located immediate adjacent to the intersection. Access to the proposed development is proposed via a single full-movement driveway connection to Cummings Avenue.

Development Docs:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__8569VJ

Siteplan:

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:16 AM
National Capital Region

the plan has been revised since then. here's the latest landscape plan.
http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ape%20Plan.PDF

Looks like the towns have an entrance right onto the Cummings sidewalk.. nice The connection to oglivie has been widened to 3m. Not sure if that means a vehicle access will be provided.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:14 AM

Given its proximity to Cyrville station (about 650m according to Google), shouldn't a higher density development be more appropriate for this site?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:28 AM

I thought the city 'heightened' the zoning around the east end stations. While townhomes are better than empty fields and parking lots, I would hope that Cyrville Rd sees loftier proposals in the near future (but not overpriced stuff that languishes on the planning table as sales stagnate.

Dare I say it, but Brigil might want to look at the area. The LRT needs users and property taxes, after all.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Given its proximity to Cyrville station (about 650m according to Google), shouldn't a higher density development be more appropriate for this site?
higher density, and not such a stupid suburban layout.

But this is Ottawa, and we loves us suburbs.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
higher density, and not such a stupid suburban layout.

But this is Ottawa, and we loves us suburbs.
At least the revision has doors on Cummings avenue, but come on, how did YOU miss the worst part, the tiny stupid new park that will be used exclusively for dog defecation.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:06 PM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Almost 7 years later, the answer to your question is YES!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 5:20 AM
National Capital Region

This application was submitted before the upzoning and this property wasn't rezoned as part of the Cyrville TOD plan. Townhomes will sell fast, and the zoning will be ready to go with only a few variances to make the project work. The city can't force any high densities at this point.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 11:54 AM

Isn't there a hydro tower on that corner?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:29 PM

Are these freehold townhomes or condos?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 1:08 PM
National Capital Region

https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BMQ4JR
The City of Ottawa has received Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment applications to permit the development of a 1.54-ha. site consisting of three apartment towers of 25, 27 and 36 storeys including a 6-storey podium base, containing approximately 850 dwelling units, and an 8-storey, 150-room hotel.

docs not posted yet

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:18 PM

That's some serious height that I didn't expect to see here but I'm glad for it. This kind of density could justify the expense of the currently underused Cyrville light rail station.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That's some serious height that I didn't expect to see here but I'm glad for it. This kind of density could justify the expense of the currently underused Cyrville light rail station.
One hopes we'll see more of the same in due course down at Cummings and Cyrville. The whole area cries out for higher density redevelopment.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:24 PM

Holy crap I suddenly feel old.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:45 PM
Busy Beaver

I wonder if Richcraft is kicking itself for having scaled back the density of Place des Gouverneurs just for a quick buck ten years ago. I notice they no longer have that development in their website so it must be going through a big rethink.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I wonder if Richcraft is kicking itself for having scaled back the density of Place des Gouverneurs just for a quick buck ten years ago. I notice they no longer have that development in their website so it must be going through a big rethink.
They still have a bunch of vacant land within that development. I'm sure something is coming.

IIRC Richcraft also has some land east of the Aviation Pkwy that I'm a bit surprised they haven't proceeded with: https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__AZRIJD

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:34 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
They still have a bunch of vacant land within that development. I'm sure something is coming.

IIRC Richcraft also has some land east of the Aviation Pkwy that I'm a bit surprised they haven't proceeded with: https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__AZRIJD
That central lot between Villeneuve and Beauparc is crying out for several high-rises with a neighbourhood retail podium. All that surface parking 100 metres from an LRT station (and right against green space!) is such a crime.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:44 PM

Quote:
That central lot between Villeneuve and Beauparc is crying out for several high-rises with a neighbourhood retail podium. All that surface parking 100 metres from an LRT station (and right against green space!) is such a crime.
That, and there is vacant land right at Cyrville on either side of Beauparc.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I've long wondered whether the lot at Beauparc next to the station belongs to Richcraft. Seems a likely spot for an apartment tower, no?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
I don't get this point of view. The original vision for PDG was fantastic. Almost European. Lots of 6-8 storey walkup buildings in a pretty moderately dense neighborhood. It's when they flipped to the centre plot being 20-storey condos that they drew opposition and couldn't really close the deal. That's when they built the Brownstones which sold decently. One set is rentals and they seem to do well too.

Quote:
The original three buildings have underground parking. The Brownstones are the only ones with surface parking. And it's done well with a laneway at the back. That is what kept these places affordable. And ensured their saleability during the half decade where there was no Transitway or LRT service. Whatever they build in the plots that are left are bound to have underground parking.

I hope they do some 10-storey buildings with stores at the bottom. I'd like to see an actually livable urban neighborhood here. Not just a condo farm. This was the original plan:

Their site plan with that high rise was horrendous.

Quote:
Per my understanding those were originally supposed to be commercial buildings or mixed use. I wonder if that has changed.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Jul 27, 2020 at 6:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa