HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:07 PM

If it's going to take 3 years, I sure hope its gold plated.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:09 PM

Also, here come the election promises.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:13 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If it's going to take 3 years, I sure hope its gold plated.
They have to design it first. RFP for that will go out this year. Design in 1st half of 2020. Tender and build in late 2020. Two years to construct 2 new bridges and demolish old structure.

Seems reasonable to me.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:46 PM

I thought it said start construction late 2020 finishing November 2023. Seems long to me for a bridge. Whatever.

I'm also not sure what they referred to as cost effective. That would lead me to believe they're re-using the existing piers. If they're building new piers, what does that mean?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
I thought it said start construction late 2020 finishing November 2023. Seems long to me for a bridge. Whatever.

I'm also not sure what they referred to as cost effective. That would lead me to believe they're re-using the existing piers. If they're building new piers, what does that mean?
Cost effective are likely just filler words thrown in there to keep the PCs public image of cost-cutters, since everyone would have immediately thought they're frivolously spending money to replace a damaged and end-of-lifespan bridge /s

In all seriousness, I hope the bridges are built at 6 through lanes or able to be easily expanded to 6 lanes, as well as with longer exit and merge lanes from oasis road

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:03 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Great news, hopefully 6 lanes with adequate room for AT.
Not a chance. They pretty state it's just a replacement of what's there with no need to buy anything else (property,housing, etc.)

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:

You called it on the bridge replacement months ago, floodway bridge would seem pretty straightforward considering the gap that it will span is practically water free 11 months of the year!

Don't get you guys knocking the PC's here, the speNDP were in power when the floodway was enlarged, there insistence on union labour ate up costs that could have been used on improved infrastructure relating to the floodway~

It was the speNDP that gave us the ridiculous three lane bridge over the floodway on the east side of the city on 115/15!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Not a chance. They pretty state it's just a replacement of what's there with no need to buy anything else (property,housing, etc.)
On what basis are you so certain? It's not like there isn't enough room in the existing right of way to add 2 lanes if they wanted to. The existing bridge is very narrow for a 4 lane highway.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:14 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Construction would likely start Nov/Dec 2020 - so end of year. Build through 2021 and 2022 - two years, not very long really. 2023 will be finishing work and landscaping.

Quote:
They will build two new bridges, one on either side of the existing structure. It will be the same type of construction as was done at Hwy 1 and the Floodway by Deacons corner.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:35 PM

Now that the most urgent needs around that stretch of 59 have been addressed or are in the process of being addressed (101/59, Floodway bridge), it would be nice to see planning start for the next phase of improvements... i.e., 6 lanes from 101 to Birds Hill Park, interchanges at Birds Hill and Garven Road, and eliminating at-grade access except for the one by the 59er.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:48 PM

Thanks for the info's. I'm not really knocking the PC's. Just timing is all.

I would sure hope they get 6 lanes in there. As the rest of the 59/101 project allows for 6 lanes. Otherwise that'd just be silly to be stuck for the next 75 years.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Now that the most urgent needs around that stretch of 59 have been addressed or are in the process of being addressed (101/59, Floodway bridge), it would be nice to see planning start for the next phase of improvements... i.e., 6 lanes from 101 to Birds Hill Park, interchanges at Birds Hill and Garven Road, and eliminating at-grade access except for the one by the 59er.
They should've built the birds hill rd interchange with the completed project.. seems silly. There's at least a plan for one there. I've seen nothing for garven, but would propose it be a trumpet style interchange like the Birds Hill Park one.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Looks like the PTH59N bridge over the Floodway will be getting replaced.

https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.ht...ted=2019-05-02

Wow, 4 years to build a simple bridge.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I don't see the need for additional traffic lanes on this part of Highway 59? Closing at-grade access as you mentioned would take care of traffic issues (and make the highway a billion times safer). I don't think we have six-lane highways anywhere in Manitoba -- why here?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
Wow, 4 years to build a simple bridge.
That's from design work to final landscaping. The actual construction time will be shorter. There are also built in delays for floodway operation.

These same delays were also in place for the construction / upgrades of the previous bridges (both railway and highway) as part of the floodway upgrade.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:25 PM

The stretch of 59 from Birds Hill to 101 is one of the busiest highway segments in the province.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 10:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
twinning 59 further south of winnipeg i would say befor making it 6 lanes north of winnipeg spent several yrs dirivng for work that way theres allot of traffic

though personaly id like to see them repave the 391 as the paved sections are at end of life and becoming dangerious

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 4:38 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
On what basis are you so certain? It's not like there isn't enough room in the existing right of way to add 2 lanes if they wanted to. The existing bridge is very narrow for a 4 lane highway.
They say rather clearly that they don't need to expand it. And really, what for? There's not enough traffic to justify an expansion to six lanes. They may need to build wider lanes and they may make it easily expandable but there's no need for it and if it were six lanes, they would have undoubtedly touted the improvement as political selling point. I could be wrong, of course but they gave no indication of expansion in the press release.

I just think of Bishop Grandin. That's still at four lanes and there's no sign of it being expanded any time in the near or medium future. 59 isn't nearly as busy as that so...

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
They say rather clearly that they don't need to expand it. And really, what for? There's not enough traffic to justify an expansion to six lanes. They may need to build wider lanes and they may make it easily expandable but there's no need for it and if it were six lanes, they would have undoubtedly touted the improvement as political selling point. I could be wrong, of course but they gave no indication of expansion in the press release.

I just think of Bishop Grandin. That's still at four lanes and there's no sign of it being expanded any time in the near or medium future. 59 isn't nearly as busy as that so...
Most of the time four lanes on 59 is enough, but it’s the lake traffic on the weekends that demands six. It’s honestly necessary. I’d put six lanes to at least garven, to 44 would be nicer. There should be an interchange there and another one at dunning, Or at least lights. It’s dangerous to try to cross the highway there and there are accidents at that intersection quite frequently. I would also like to see the province add passing lanes on the two lane highways. Like 44 and 317. Sucks getting stuck behind a camper or a farmer doing 80 on the way to the lake and not being able to pass.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Most of the time four lanes on 59 is enough, but it’s the lake traffic on the weekends that demands six. It’s honestly necessary. I’d put six lanes to at least garven, to 44 would be nicer. There should be an interchange there and another one at dunning, Or at least lights. It’s dangerous to try to cross the highway there and there are accidents at that intersection quite frequently. I would also like to see the province add passing lanes on the two lane highways. Like 44 and 317. Sucks getting stuck behind a camper or a farmer doing 80 on the way to the lake and not being able to pass.
I am not a transportation engineer, but I feel confident in saying that there is nowhere in Manitoba where six lanes of limited access highway (ie, no turning lanes) is warranted. And I know all about driving out to the lake on a crowded Highway 59. Congestion, such that it exists on the four-lane portion of 59 north, is caused by at-grade intersections... the lights at Garven Road and Birds Hill Road, or people turning onto the highway at the 59er or in East Selkirk. Controlling access would take care of the problem.

There's an endless number of highway improvements needed in this province, and many on 59. Building two extra lanes for just 5-10 Friday and Sunday afternoons a year maybe isn't one of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan