HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 11:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

An article in the T&T states that "all options" are being considered for 100 Cameron Street, including keeping the building as commercial space, but if the conversion to residential goes ahead, the building's future would be as a seniors housing facility. This probably explains the relative dearth of parking on the site plan.

If the conversion goes ahead, construction will begin next year. A decision will be made by the end of this year.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:33 PM

Latest iteration of the Harper Building presented at city council last night (images from T&T):

Residents on Harper's Lane have objections to the project, mostly against the parking structure.

The proposal is still for an 8-to-14-storey hotel with ground-floor retail, a rooftop sushi bar and restaurant.

Hard to get excited for this project. As the article states:

Quote:
The hotel proposal is far from the first iteration of Robichaud's plans for the space on Main Street.

The land for the hotel was sold by the city to Robichaud in 2008. The developer said then he expected to spend about $10 million to develop the land into a combination of office space and condos - and promised a "gateway"-style commercial-residential project for the eastern entry into the downtown.

In 2012, after Robichaud lost out on a bid to lease office space in the building to the federal government, the developer again said he'd rework his plans as a 10-storey, L-shaped, 80-unit condo building.

Then in 2016, Robichaud told the Times & Transcript about his plans, which were for a $10-million, 10-storey combination of commercial space with either apartments or condominiums or both.
Source: https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...rper-building-

This is from the developer who abandoned the second building at 25 Dominion and who was recently rationing toilet paper at one of his seniors' homes...

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 12:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
This is from the developer who abandoned the second building at 25 Dominion and who was recently rationing toilet paper at one of his seniors' homes...

I hadn't cognitively connected him to the TP scandal.

I too have little confidence in this proposal, but Valmond was the victim of circumstance with his previous proposals (losing out on federal office space, flat condo market). The same may happen this time too. There is a lot of new hotel space coming on line in the city over the next several years. He may have missed out on this bubble too. His timing is terrible........

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 1:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Residents on Harper's Lane have objections to the project, mostly against the parking structure.
I don't have much sympathy for the neighbours. I think a nicely designed parking structure, especially if there is a landscaped buffer of some kind would be far preferable to a vacant lot. Valmond has my support on this issue........

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't have much sympathy for the neighbours. I think a nicely designed parking structure, especially if there is a landscaped buffer of some kind would be far preferable to a vacant lot. Valmond has my support on this issue........
What do they want? No development at all in the area? Sounds like a case of NIMBY but unfortunately for them, they are downtown, not in the burbs.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 2:16 PM

This is the what, 3rd or 4th rendering for this site, wonder how much its costing him in design fees, maybe he should keep his money and buy more TP for his residents lol.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:

I hadn't cognitively connected him to the TP scandal.

I too have little confidence in this proposal, but Valmond was the victim of circumstance with his previous proposals (losing out on federal office space, flat condo market). The same may happen this time too. There is a lot of new hotel space coming on line in the city over the next several years. He may have missed out on this bubble too. His timing is terrible........
Of course nothing is written in stone but from what I'm hearing (more than rumours) is that this project could be closer to realization than many expect and that the time frame depends on how fast permits etc. come about.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:34 PM

I'm going to say The residence will probably complain about anything that would be planned for that lot. They complained when they got approved to demolish the properties that where there previously.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:34 PM

Despite my skepticism like many of you have, I too am hearing that the proponents are looking to get this underway asap.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well that's encouraging. It's too bad they tabled things at the city council meeting last night then. Hopefully Valmond and the enraged NIMBYs can come to some form of accommodation then.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:00 PM

I noticed at lunch today that there was a cement truck on "The Junction" development on Vaughn Harvey pouring concrete. I did not get close enough to to see what exactly the concrete was for.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I noticed at lunch today that there was a cement truck on "The Junction" development on Vaughn Harvey pouring concrete. I did not get close enough to to see what exactly the concrete was for.
It looks to be the hotel pad from what we could see when we turned from Main to Vaughn Harvey. Speaking of I hope the the plan for the Harper hotel does go threw because I was looking at who complained most don't own they just rent in the area, or don't even live near that area its just the same people every time a new project arises, and there NIMBY attitude is based on fear of rent increase it seems. Legitimate but there claims.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
It looks to be the hotel pad from what we could see when we turned from Main to Vaughn Harvey. Speaking of I hope the the plan for the Harper hotel does go threw because I was looking at who complained most don't own they just rent in the area, or don't even live near that area its just the same people every time a new project arises, and there NIMBY attitude is based on fear of rent increase it seems. Legitimate but there claims.
I for one hope it goes through as well ( though the chances are slim/ trust has been eroded due to the other failed attempts) I have been living on PEI for awhile now and trying to return and find a place to stay especially in the summer is very difficult. I had a funeral to attend not long ago and actually had to stay at a campsite because there were no availabilities.. a couple more hotels would be beneficial to the city!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I drove by this evening (bad idea, the traffic was atrocious), and I saw no evidence of any work underway on the Hilton hotel site.

The wait is getting frustrating. If there is no movement by September, I wager we'll have to wait until next spring.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
I drove by this evening (bad idea, the traffic was atrocious), and I saw no evidence of any work underway on the Hilton hotel site.

The wait is getting frustrating. If there is no movement by September, I wager we'll have to wait until next spring.
Yeah, I'm not sure what happened, as I was emailing Cushman-Wakfeild and one of the main people leasing it spaces for this project mentioned how it would be announced in a week a few weeks ago

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:17 AM

I like the massing and height, but for a downtown development, it doesn't meet Main St very well. Lots of grass and very little improvement to the sidewalk / streetscape.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I like the massing and height, but for a downtown development, it doesn't meet Main St very well. Lots of grass and very little improvement to the sidewalk / streetscape.
I agree. I really wish the city made them change it. Isn't there a requirement for street setback distance downtown? I also thought that new developments were not allowed front parking, or a least that it was discouraged.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 12:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I agree. I really wish the city made them change it. Isn't there a requirement for street setback distance downtown? I also thought that new developments were not allowed front parking, or a least that it was discouraged.
I think the issue is whether or not this property is truly downtown or not. It's right on the very edge of the core. This might allow Valmond to get away with the current proposal.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 1:48 AM

The proposed hotel is in the CBD, which is subject to the downtown zone requirements. The downtown zone prohibits parking in the front yard. Of course, the city can approve a variance, but I'd prefer the bylaw be enforced. Simply moving the building and parking structure forward would make the development feel more urban, and it might also appease the residents on Harper's Lane.

Map: https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Reside...Zoning+Map.pdf

Bylaw: https://www.moncton.ca/Assets/Reside...ing+By-Law.pdf (section 122)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:16 AM

Aerial view of Goodlife Fitness at the Junction Urban Village.

I find it interesting that the entrance is currently designed only for GoodLife and any other new development on this side of the main entrance.

As you can see in the second photo, curb side, sidewalk, lamp posts are all blocking any other entrance to retail space, restaurants, high-end apartments, and the leading brand hotel within than corner lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces