HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:32 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Wow, this shocking coming from you. All of the businesses on each corner are in favour of it so I assume they have done the numbers.
And yet, it hasn't happened after years and years of debate. Why? Because there are many people against it. If this was a cut and dry debate, the intersection should have be opened long ago. You can't use this forum as an indicator for how people feel about this. This is a well-educated forum of people in the industry and is hardly representative of the general population of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:33 PM

The agreement expired only last year or something like that.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:47 PM
BANNED

CTV Winnipeg Web Poll - June 6, 2018
Do you think Portage and Main should be opened to pedestrians?
Yes

411 (15 %)
No

2356 (85 %)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The agreement expired only last year or something like that.
2019 actually. The 4 property owners are all in favour of it ending now though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
CTV Winnipeg Web Poll - June 6, 2018
Do you think Portage and Main should be opened to pedestrians?
Yes

411 (15 %)
No

2356 (85 %)
Using local news polls as evidence is like like using comment sections as a sound gauge for consensus.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Another thing I don’t understand is why people are so hot over the issue of opening up the intersection. It’s like Assiniboine park having a population explosion of squirrels and the whole city going nuts over the news.
I really like your people going "nuts" about squirrels analogy. Don't know if that is intentional or not. Regarding your question, there are still a lot of people in Winnipeg who don't like change of any kind. They fear it and it upsets them. In terms of this forum, as you can see there are several who are just opposed to everything new or positive, their motives are inexplicable except to themselves. It's the same reason we have a transit system that is decades behind the times and that of other cities. A lack of vision. That said, I think attitudes are changing for the better and we will continue to see slow progress. Until the dinosaurs go extinct.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Another thing I don’t understand is why people are so hot over the issue of opening up the intersection. It’s like Assiniboine park having a population explosion of squirrels and the whole city going nuts over the news.
That's because they would want to be able to drive through the park without having to wait for squirrels crossing in front of them and slowing them down.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:33 PM

CTV is the most depressing news channel around. They were touting Trump's ground breaking trip to North Korea FFS. Does anyone still watch it? I follow them on the Twitter, but it's mostly pointless.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 9:47 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
CTV is the most depressing news channel around. They were touting Trump's ground breaking trip to North Korea FFS. Does anyone still watch it? I follow them on the Twitter, but it's mostly pointless.
I fail to see how optimism makes CTV depressing

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 10:41 PM

The city obviously knew about this Hyatt Place news for a while, and must have some light on Richardson's plaza plans – which must be why they're pushing for at least the east crossing to open by next year. IMO, Hyatt Place & Richardson's IC give all the more reason to open it up and prove that people are willing and wanting to use the long-forgotten land in that area.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:32 PM

the only way this thing works is if they create walkway over pass

any other idea is dumb as f and needs to stop.. noone is going to wait at those intersections.. create walking overpass itll look nice plus itll be practicle.. i think all this noonsense bout opening this intersection is unsafe and foolish.. noone is going to use it ppl will jay walk and itll create even more congestion.. build a over pass bridge done.. move on next discussion.

they should already be talking about a design for the walk way.. ya construction might create issues with lane closures but ohwell.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post

any other idea is dumb as f and needs to stop.. noone is going to wait at those intersections.. create walking overpass itll look nice plus itll be practicle.. i think all this noonsense bout opening this intersection is unsafe and foolish.. noone is going to use it ppl will jay walk and itll create even more congestion.. build a over pass bridge done.. move on next discussion.

they should already be talking about a design for the walk way.. ya construction might create issues with lane closures but ohwell.
Yes, i’m guessing Godzilla will be battling Mothra around the same time all this is happening.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Speaking of which...

Larry Kudrow, Trumps Economic Advisor, nearly dropped dead of a heart attack, less than 48 hous after announcing the Trump Administration was going to impose those ridiculous tariffs on Canadian made products (steel,etc). He also called Justin Trudeau "Pierre," and proceeded to say there is a "special place in hell" for him.

The almighty God must have been listening. Or maybe it's because during his appearance on CNN, the ex-drug addict looked like he fell off the wagon. I would not be the least surprised if Trump's Administration consisted of a bunch of sexual perverts and drug addicts. History tends to repeat itself, and there are far too many parallels with the Trump Administration and the Third Reich- both being the greatest threat to Western Democracy in their respective centuries.

Anyway, if the heart attack is not karma, I don't know what is.

God bless Canada.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:04 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Speaking of which...

Larry Kudrow, Trumps Economic Advisor, nearly dropped dead of a heart attack, less than 48 hous after announcing the Trump Administration was going to impose those ridiculous tariffs on Canadian made products (steel,etc). He also called Justin Trudeau "Pierre," and proceeded to say there is a "special place in hell" for him.

The almighty God must have been listening. Or maybe it's because during his appearance on CNN, the ex-drug addict looked like he fell off the wagon. I would not be the least surprised if Trump's Administration consisted of a bunch of sexual perverts and drug addicts. History tends to repeat itself, and there are far too many parallels with the Trump Administration and the Third Reich- both being the greatest threat to Western Democracy in their respective centuries.

God bless Canada.
Because we've had our differences recently I just wanted to say - very well said!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:05 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post

I once had to wait 40 seconds at an intersection... I had to call the suicide hotline........ They told me to do it

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
Because we've had our differences recently I just wanted to say - very well said!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 2:42 AM

Why do people think that pedestrians will act differently at this intersection than they do everywhere else?. If this is some sort of magical issue, the city could just instruct WPS to start actually enforcing jaywalking.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
2019 actually. The 4 property owners are all in favour of it ending now though.

Using local news polls as evidence is like like using comment sections as a sound gauge for consensus.
And if there was a city wide referendum at election time asking whether the P&M should remain closed and 70% said YES keep it closed the P&M "open it" proponents would say the referendum means nothing because only 64% of Winnipeg residents voted. Sound about right?!?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Speaking of which...

God bless Canada.
Ain't Karma a bitch!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
And if there was a city wide referendum at election time asking whether the P&M should remain closed and 70% said YES keep it closed the P&M "open it" proponents would say the referendum means nothing because only 64% of Winnipeg residents voted. Sound about right?!?
64%? There won’t even be 50% turnout for the next election

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 3:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Why do people think that pedestrians will act differently at this intersection than they do everywhere else?. If this is some sort of magical issue, the city could just instruct WPS to start actually enforcing jaywalking.
The city and WPS don't even have the balls to ticket those panhandling at intersections when the law clearly states that it unlawful to for pedestrians to approach stopped vehicles at any controlled intersection.

Two panhandlers we're out on Henderson at Chief Peguis tonight harassing motorists!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan