HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Never even heard of Tavola. Where was that located?
On Water Street, where the Pepper Mill used to be. I believe Tavola is just closed for renovations. They expect to be back open later this month ( http://www.tavolaonwater.ca/ ).

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
On Water Street, where the Pepper Mill used to be. I believe Tavola is just closed for renovations. They expect to be back open later this month ( http://www.tavolaonwater.ca/ ).
I was thinking maybe renovations, but then I thought they have only been open for less than a year, so why would they need to renovate.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 3:50 PM

Newfoundland Chocolate Company Opens Cafe on Signal Hill

This is cool...I have to try it!

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...54721&latest=1

Quote:
The Newfoundland Chocolate Company has opened a brand new kind of cafe in the capital city - a chocolate cafe. Owner and operator Brent Smith says the new cafe, at Signal Hill, offers offers some unconventional fare.

They have paninis filled with specialties such as cocoa pulled pork and chocolate glazed ham. Other menu items include gelato and spicy chicken mole tacos.

Old Posted May 15, 2015, 4:39 PM

Yum!

Old Posted May 16, 2015, 10:43 AM

It's a great little café. Dropped by yesterday afternoon to share a chocolate glazed ham panini and a cup of Mexican chocolate and white chocolate gelato. It must have the best outdoor seating in town. Much easier to jog up Signal Hill if you know there's a tub of gelato waiting for you.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 1:03 PM

Was downtown yesterday for the first time in ages.
Noticed that there is finally something going into the vacated Velma's space.
Looks like its gonna become an "Eat Clean Healthy Grill and Juice Bar".
Has anyone tried them out yet. I think they are also on Elizabeth Ave. I haven't heard for them before.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 1:42 PM

I've never eaten there. They shared an unfortunate pseudo-science page on their facebook a while back about adjusting your blood pH with your diet. I won't support them based on that, but I'm sure their food is actually good. They've taken up space in one of the few last good restaurant spaces left downtown (the old Lower Path and 351's restaurant space may be all that's left)

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 12:01 AM

There's a restaurant opening in Bianca's old spot; but for the life of me I can't remember the name

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
There's a restaurant opening in Bianca's old spot; but for the life of me I can't remember the name
Is it the Social House Kitchen & Bar? Google returns a few hits for Boar & Barrel at Bianca's old address. Boar & Barrel Inc. was incorporated October 2014, but changed its name to The Social House Kitchen & Bar Inc. March 2015.

If so, the chef is likely Evan Bursey, a St. John's native who was previously at Richmond Station in Toronto and recently executive chef at Bally Haly (bio: http://www.search4ppl.com/p/ZVJkZWV1...an-Bursey.html , twitter: https://twitter.com/chefevanbursey ).

I also noticed the name David Primmer listed as a co-director (along with Bursey) on the restaurant's listing at the Registry of Companies. Could just be a coincidence, but a David Primmer was one of the eight winers of the $30 million lottery last June. If it's the same person, looks like he's investing some of his winnings into the local restaurant business, which is great.

The Social House is hiring , so the grand opening shouldn't be too far away ( http://www.jobsinnl.ca/nfld/employers.html/19843 ).

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 5:07 PM

That's it, thanks! Awesome backstory, too. Nice to see investment in lottery winnings

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
That's it, thanks! Awesome backstory, too. Nice to see investment in lottery winnings
Great to see a new restaurant move in there so quickly. I was amazed how long Velma's sat vacant at such a prime location on Water.

Adding to the backstory: Bursey mentions in his biography that as a boy he worked at his father's restaurant in St. John's. That's probably the old Flake House restaurant in Quidi Vidi, which was owned by Ray Bursey and son and head chef Byron Bursey.

Any news on what's happening with that structure? I heard rumours that Mallard Cottage was interested in buying it (perhaps for a cafe and event space?), but the Telegram reported that the city might purchase it ( http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Flake-House/1 ). The Quidi Vidi Development Plan suggests the property could provide 25 public parking spaces, and the building could be rebuilt as a two storey structure with a 25% larger footprint ( http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...ent%20Plan.pdf ).

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 10:58 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'll try to get more information, but a little coffee spot called "The Network Cafe" opened yesterday in Pleasantville. It's located just behind Bennett House, in the Affordable Housing building. I don't have their brochure in front of me, but I believe that there is some sort of partnership with Housing NL. The owner lives in Pleasantville, and perhaps most exciting, it seems to be the first retail space occupied in Pleasantville since the changes started coming.

They have $0.49 coffees this week to celebrate their opening, and their baked goods are pretty fantastic. If anyone is out around Pleasantville, swing by.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 3:45 PM

Thanks for that! A friend lives right around the corner; we'll check it out.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I'll try to get more information, but a little coffee spot called "The Network Cafe" opened yesterday in Pleasantville. It's located just behind Bennett House, in the Affordable Housing building. I don't have their brochure in front of me, but I believe that there is some sort of partnership with Housing NL. The owner lives in Pleasantville, and perhaps most exciting, it seems to be the first retail space occupied in Pleasantville since the changes started coming.

They have $0.49 coffees this week to celebrate their opening, and their baked goods are pretty fantastic. If anyone is out around Pleasantville, swing by.
That building is owned by the Homeless Network (or whatever their name is). I believe the coffee shop is set up as a social enterprise and they use the money to help finance their organization while also employing residents of the buildings and others who need job experience and whatnot to get back on their feet.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
That building is owned by the Homeless Network (or whatever their name is). I believe the coffee shop is set up as a social enterprise and they use the money to help finance their organization while also employing residents of the buildings and others who need job experience and whatnot to get back on their feet.
Sounds like a great enterprise, I hope it does well.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 2:58 PM

I see from this week's council agenda that there has been a change of occupancy / renovations permit issued for 36 George St. which I believe is the former "The Works" location. Has anyone heard anything about what might be going there?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I see from this week's council agenda that there has been a change of occupancy / renovations permit issued for 36 George St. which I believe is the former "The Works" location. Has anyone heard anything about what might be going there?
I'm not sure, but given that location's track record it better be an eye-opener.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Sushi Nami Royale Restaurant.
With locations in Downtown Halifax, Clayton Park, Dartmouth Crossing and Xicheng District in China.

http://sushinami.ca/st-johns-nl/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
Sushi Nami Royale Restaurant.
With locations in Downtown Halifax, Clayton Park, Dartmouth Crossing and Xicheng District in China.

http://sushinami.ca/st-johns-nl/
The web site says "opening Summer 2015"...I predict the closing will be "Fall 2015".

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
The web site says "opening Summer 2015"...I predict the closing will be "Fall 2015".
This will be the like 5th or 6th sushi place in the city. For a city of this size (and the near homogeneity of our cuisine likes/dislikes) it seems the sushi market is rather over-saturated. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the restaurant do well.... I'm just not hopeful it will.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's