HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You can claim flawed logic on my end all you want, but I wi claim it on your end as well when you use similarly flawed logic by trying to compare this overall development to the Pearl. The Pearl is a completely different beast in that it itself is a sandbox development that is so far confined within a former brewery and has much to play with.

The GrayStreet Partners development is at the other end of the spectrum from the Pearl. They’re apples and oranges and to find failure in GSP not replicating the Pearl is beyond flawed in thinking. Also, as I said before, to base any thing off the Gensler master plan massing renderings is foolish as none of that is final.

Wait until actual projects are announced and final design renderings are released before you pass judgement.
How is it apples and oranges exactly? Its not confined within the old Brewery. The new Credit Human building was not part of the brewery. The new apartment building on Newell is outside the old brewery. The land they own across the river was not part of the old brewery. Also not sure why any of that matters? Grey Star is dealing with a pretty big chunk of land. Not as big as the Pearl, but big enough to where they're basically building a small neighborhood.

I did not demand a replication of the Pearl. To the extent I'm demanding anything, it's the use of the type of architectural language that the new buildings at the Pearl use. Arcades. The light colored brick. Etc. I would have the same criticism of the 1603 Broadway project, but that sort of thing is trickier to pull off in a high rise.

And for the record, it's not completely a blank slate, they're retaining that old one story commercial building next to 1800 Broadway at the corner of Pearl Pwky and the Pearl Pwky extension. Kudos to them for keeping it. It would be nice if they kept the old school on the site as well, but it may be past saving given the way SAISD treats its real estate.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:33 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Yeah. You said

The same renderings about which you said

I'm just asking for a little consistency in your claims, and for you to recognize that the building in the rendering is quite plausibly the Pig Stand.
Yes, based off those renderings. Meaning the massing for the building indicates that is not the pig stand in that spot. That was the point of that statement. I have no clue what will happen with the pig stand building, nor have I made a claim that the pig stand will be bulldozed.

This will now be my last time addressing this topic.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
How is it apples and oranges exactly? Its not confined within the old Brewery. The new Credit Human building was not part of the brewery. The new apartment building on Newell is outside the old brewery. The land they own across the river was not part of the old brewery. Also not sure why any of that matters? Grey Star is dealing with a pretty big chunk of land. Not as big as the Pearl, but big enough to where they're basically building a small neighborhood.

I did not demand a replication of the Pearl. To the extent I'm demanding anything, it's the use of the type of architectural language that the new buildings at the Pearl use. Arcades. The light colored brick. Etc. I would have the same criticism of the 1603 Broadway project, but that sort of thing is trickier to pull off in a high rise.

And for the record, it's not completely a blank slate, they're retaining that old one story commercial building next to 1800 Broadway at the corner of Pearl Pwky and the Pearl Pwky extension. Kudos to them for keeping it. It would be nice if they kept the old school on the site as well, but it may be past saving given the way SAISD treats its real estate.
Silver Ventures had a framework to work with in regards to architectural styles and themes. GrayStreet has much less of a framework to work with not are they simply going to match the Pearl as they are a separate entity and as such want to separate themselves from Silver Ventures.

Their goal is to build a much more modern development within the urban core. You have all the right in the world to dislike the Gensler masterplan, but as I said, you should wait until the final product is revealed instead of finding fault in a theoretical.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 12:50 AM
JACKinBeantown

Wow, I go away for a few hours and you guys pig out on me. On that note, I encourage you to look again.

Google satellite view of the Pig Stand:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...!4d-98.4936282

Rendering:

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they're keeping the school building too, and I think it's visible on the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 12:33 AM

Looks like there's going to be a "there" there soon enough.

Any shots from the Tower lately?
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Silver Ventures had a framework to work with in regards to architectural styles and themes. GrayStreet has much less of a framework to work with not are they simply going to match the Pearl as they are a separate entity and as such want to separate themselves from Silver Ventures.

Their goal is to build a much more modern development within the urban core. You have all the right in the world to dislike the Gensler masterplan, but as I said, you should wait until the final product is revealed instead of finding fault in a theoretical.
Couldn't agree with this more. While I guess it's noble to try to incorporate local design into developments, we have plenty of buildings making those efforts, but few modern buildings to boast. One of the things I love most about SA is that we have retained so much of our historic architecture. It's truly amazing.

But at the same time, I'm pleased that a modern development is being proposed for this site. I think it comes off as kitschy when you try too hard to design historic-ish structures. Yes, you should nod to them and respect them, but the Graystreet development is pretty much a blank slate right now, so there's not a lot to nod to... And nodding to the aesthetics of their competition (The Pearl) seems illogical to me.

While it's not saying anything really revelatory in its design, it's unlike anything we have in San Antonio today, so I think that's something to celebrate.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 8:35 PM

As someone who has experience in working in architecture firms and producing renderings, I would wager that the massing shown in the rendering represents the Pig Stand and surrounding buildings. It is relatively the same width and length. This block doesn't appear to be part of the master plan. Otherwise, I don't see why they wouldn't densify it insetad of planning for two small low density buildings. The Pig Stand *is* without doubt a San ANtonio institution and I think planners, especially if they are local or working with local architects and planners, would be aware of that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
Couldn't agree with this more. While I guess it's noble to try to incorporate local design into developments, we have plenty of buildings making those efforts, but few modern buildings to boast. One of the things I love most about SA is that we have retained so much of our historic architecture. It's truly amazing.

But at the same time, I'm pleased that a modern development is being proposed for this site. I think it comes off as kitschy when you try too hard to design historic-ish structures. Yes, you should nod to them and respect them, but the Graystreet development is pretty much a blank slate right now, so there's not a lot to nod to... And nodding to the aesthetics of their competition (The Pearl) seems illogical to me.

While it's not saying anything really revelatory in its design, it's unlike anything we have in San Antonio today, so I think that's something to celebrate.
They could do what Pearl did and pay homage to the Pig Stand. It would be pretty awesome.

San Antonio could have The Pearl and The Pig.

http://www.sanantoniospigstand.com

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:46 PM

According to BCAD the property where Pig Stand is owned by an individual, not GreyStreet. It doesn't show a deed chain, so I'm guessing it's the operator of the restaurant that owns it. It would be really strange for a developer to create a plan for a property they don't own.... right? Of course the valuation of that property has nearly tripled in 4 years so who knows how long the Pig Stand will be able to operate if the value/taxes keeps rising.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:59 PM
The Space Pope

SAHA planning 200-unit Tampico Lofts

https://saheron.com/saha-planning-20...ear-west-side/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 1:35 AM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Ugh. Looks like an apartment building I lived in in Austin 30 years ago... and it was 20 years old at the time.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Au...!4d-97.7430608

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:07 AM

It’s low income housing by SAHA. The design was never going to be earth shattering.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
It’s low income housing by SAHA. The design was never going to be earth shattering.
It's half market rate, half 80% median income, according to the article.

This development is directly across the highway from the Cevallos project on San Pedro Creek. It's not pretty but I'm happy to see any higher-density housing spreading across the interstate.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 9:27 PM

This is a bit out of left field, but was the church that was thinking to sell land for redevelopment the First Presbyterian Church on McCullough Ave and Ave E? And were they thinking to sell the large surface parking lot that they own across the street? If so, that lot would have huge potential for a quality development that could bring more residential units and hopefully some mixed-use to blur the line between River North and Downtown.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 9:30 PM

This article isn't exactly for UTSA but is very close by, and would add huge revitalization to this blighted area of the Westside. Happy to see Via incorporating transit-oriented development. Hope to see this approach more around the urban core and surrounding neighborhoods, bringing density and transit accessibility together to reduce car usage.

https://saheron.com/via-is-slowly-pr...redevelopment/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
This is a bit out of left field, but was the church that was thinking to sell land for redevelopment the First Presbyterian Church on McCullough Ave and Ave E? And were they thinking to sell the large surface parking lot that they own across the street? If so, that lot would have huge potential for a quality development that could bring more residential units and hopefully some mixed-use to blur the line between River North and Downtown.
No, it was Travis Park Methodist. I was hoping it was St Mark's Episcopal, because they were talking recently about developing their own large parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:43 AM

Merchant's Ice House Redevelopment

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmart281 View Post
Looks great. This area has great potential.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 2:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
This article isn't exactly for UTSA but is very close by, and would add huge revitalization to this blighted area of the Westside. Happy to see Via incorporating transit-oriented development. Hope to see this approach more around the urban core and surrounding neighborhoods, bringing density and transit accessibility together to reduce car usage.

https://saheron.com/via-is-slowly-pr...redevelopment/
That sounds promising. I hope they do it well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio