HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 3:42 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The Pig Stand is going to be reopened as a Burger & Shake place.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was in San Antonio this weekend. I took a bunch of pictures of course.

What are those two cranes at Brook Army Medical Center for? That construction site looked massive!

I had a great time in San Antonio. Even though it was hot as can be. I really like the way Vistana turned out.
Response moved to Ft. Sam Thread.....
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 13, 2009 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:45 AM

Did anyone else watch KSAT 12 when the talked about Audreys closing downtown? They showed some sort of rendering but I wasn't sure if it was of the proposed buildings taking its place to house med. offices or just some random thing they showed. Anyone have any info on this?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 5:55 AM
James

^^^ HDRC approved, *GASP* demolition of the old building for a new, small, medical complex. From the look of the renderings, it should greatly improve the area, and I'm glad Audrey's is going. I heard he is opening somewhere else, as he is getting a good settlement for selling.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 7:13 AM
Meh

Here's the article on it.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...of_Audrys.html

Quote:
HDRC allows demolition of Audry's

By Scott Huddleston - Express-News

In a stunning reversal, a city panel has supported plans to raze a landmark restaurant and two other century-old structures downtown.

Audry's Mexican Restaurant could close in the next two months, owner Tony Cantu said after the Historic and Design Review Commission made its ruling late Wednesday. He told the commission it was a “tough, tough decision” to try to close the restaurant to make room for a medical building.

“Like so many San Antonio business owners, I've been caught in the downward spiral of the economy,” he told the panel.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 6:09 AM

I was taking early summer classes at Fox Tech Downtown campus so on my last day took some pictures from their balcony downtown i really liked

THE COURTHOUSE CRANE
FIRST PICS I'VE SEEN OF IT HERE !!!

OUR DOWNTOWN PRODUCTION

p.s AUSTIN'S FORUM KICKS S.A'S FORUM A## ON A DAILY BASIS. . .
SO FINALLY SOME PICS RIGHT

Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 6:18 AM
Meh

^Thanks for the pics.

This is sort of a different view. What street is that? I like the look of the Robert E. Lee Hotel. That huge water tank on the roof and the big old sign. It's easy to imagine what the area must have been like back in the 30s and 40s.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3431/...b01dfb8e_b.jpg

And oh man, this is cool!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2632/...337f5830_b.jpg

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 3:06 AM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks for posting the pics. What's the crane on the right in the last one?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:14 AM
Meh

If I'm not mistaken, it's some kind of work on the courthouse.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 8:01 AM

yeah, that's the 10 story Justice Center expansion.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 4:07 PM

Talking Embassy Suites RW Photos

Embassy Suites:
May

July 1st

taken yesterday by me

Northwest View
May

July 1st

July 19th

From Frost Tower
May

July

I have alot of angles, just to see how the skyline/streetscape changes with this one.
Justice Center
A little bit more than halfway there on height.

Durango Phase - Victoria Commons.... i'll get better pics of this one later, trying to figure out the best angle.

Townplace Suites/Neisner Bldg.

cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 11:28 PM

Very nice work, miaht!

I think despite its modest height, the Embassy Suites is going to add a lot to the streetscape.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 7:46 AM

All of these projects are adding wonderful density to downtown! The Neisner Building remodel/restoration is turning out to be quite nice.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
pg?v=0[/IMG]
July 19th
This one is my favorite

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 3:33 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

the surface parking lot in the foreground would be one of the great residential tracts, in my opinion. on houston (if you consider that Travis cuts the overall lot in two), but a skip removed from the uber-dense section. I imagine a building that stretches/arches over travis, creating a mini-tunnel while bridging the two lots to allow for a larger footprint.

there is enough room there to do something significant...

i wonder whether a combo rent/own building would be possible? like the vistana but with 10 more stories to accomodate more parking/storage and 7 floors of ownership condos.

the rental portion/income would help to defray some of the spec fear/costs in building it and the ownership portion would help pay down the note, creating a greater profit mechanism in the overall building.

surely, someone has thought of this and will tell my why it wouldn't work. no one would buy in a building with renters? not even in an upmarket building with rents even a bit higher than Vistana? not with seperate entrances or elevators for renters and owners (floors 1-13, 14-23)..>?

sorry...hadn't dreamt about such things in a while. thanks for humoring me.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 6:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Thanks miaht82. I posted your photos as a quote in the General Development thread for this building.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
the surface parking lot in the foreground would be one of the great residential tracts, in my opinion. on houston (if you consider that Travis cuts the overall lot in two), but a skip removed from the uber-dense section. I imagine a building that stretches/arches over travis, creating a mini-tunnel while bridging the two lots to allow for a larger footprint.

there is enough room there to do something significant...

i wonder whether a combo rent/own building would be possible? like the vistana but with 10 more stories to accomodate more parking/storage and 7 floors of ownership condos.

the rental portion/income would help to defray some of the spec fear/costs in building it and the ownership portion would help pay down the note, creating a greater profit mechanism in the overall building.

surely, someone has thought of this and will tell my why it wouldn't work. no one would buy in a building with renters? not even in an upmarket building with rents even a bit higher than Vistana? not with seperate entrances or elevators for renters and owners (floors 1-13, 14-23)..>?

sorry...hadn't dreamt about such things in a while. thanks for humoring me.
Could work... Perhaps have a couple tower ends for penthouses in each end, and have seperate entrances.
I think the only problem with this right now is that urban entertainment is still sketchy to many. Hopefully the redevelopment of Rivercenter, UTSA playing at the Dome, and upgraded performing arts centers will solve this problem somewhat. Slow addition of rental/for sale units within walking or even a 5 minute drive to DT will add a few more "feet on the street," which will allow more retail and more local serving bars and clubs to increase traffic DT.
I can see that site working as a complete rental of 400+ units within the next 3-5 years or so but no so much as for sale units. I see a conversion of the Rand Building or another older office building before 100 or so units are for sale in the CBD.

Edit:
Actually, maybe 3-4 floors or 30-40 units for sale might work quickly that close to the river. I could be wrong altogether but the River (even though its a block away) sells. La Cascada always has low availability, Riverview Condos on Convent are the same, and even the Exchange building across from the Weston is also a tough one to get even as a re-used reno. I still see both markets needing a few months to absorb into Vistana, St. B's and Vidorra, but I think with a couple of smaller projects around DT first, that a large scale project like this might not be too far behind.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 23, 2009 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 5:26 PM

What is the new crane that is at the Pearl Brewery.
Its really tall, I can't imagine the city allowing a high rise to be built next to the Pearl.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
What is the new crane that is at the Pearl Brewery.
Its really tall, I can't imagine the city allowing a high rise to be built next to the Pearl.
CIA/Stack Building

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 4:05 AM

Riverwalk Plaza Hotel saved from foreclosure

Interesting article related to hospitality industry.

The market in San Antonio had been surprisingly strong, but I have noticed in the last 6 months that prices have really dropped. The big problem with hotels in downtown San Antonio is that the hotel tax is over 16% and they charge about $20 a night for parking; so for every $100 you spend you could pay an extra $37

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...reclosure.html

A lawsuit filed by a San Antonio hotel offered a window this week into the financial problems facing the hospitality industry here and across the country.

State District Judge Barbara Nellermoe ruled that La Villita Motor Inns, owner of the downtown Riverwalk Plaza Hotel, has 18 months to refinance a $6 million balloon payment the company defaulted on last year, saving the hotel from foreclosure.

In her ruling, Nellermoe said fees assessed by an asset management company that had sought the hotel's foreclosure were “unfair.”

Nellermoe acknowledged that by no fault of their own, business owners are foundering as a result of the ongoing recession.

“This has been the case from hell,” she said, from a courtroom overlooking the Riverwalk Plaza Hotel. “There's been hell to pay, that's for sure. But that will continue in this market.”

The case has been closely watched by hotel owners in San Antonio. Hundreds of millions of dollars in loans taken out by hotels across the United States will come due in the next three years, according to one.

If hotel owners can't refinance or get extensions, those hotels could face foreclosure as well, said Sherry Chaudhry, an owner of the Comfort Suites Alamo Riverwalk hotel. With business slow as a result of the recession, it will be hard for indebted hotel owners to pay off their loans, she said. Chaudhry was in the courtroom Friday when Nellermoe made her ruling, and said, “We're all waiting to find out if, when our loans come due, will the banks try to take our hotels.”

The future of these hotels will remain unclear until appellate courts make rulings in this and similar cases, Murphy said.

The case revolved around an $8.4 million loan taken out in September 2008 by Liaquat Pirani, president of the two companies that form the La Villita limited partnership. Pirani put the Riverwalk Plaza Hotel up as collateral.

The hotel is worth $16.7 million, according to court filings. The Bexar Appraisal District lists its appraisal value at $8.25 million.

Pirani made every payment until September of last year, when he defaulted on a $6 million balloon payment, and could not find another lender to help him make the payment, he and his attorneys said in court. Pirani said he continued to make payments, but when he sought the original lender to ask for an extension, he learned his debt had been sold and packaged as a mortgage-backed security.

Orix Capital Markets, a real estate, finance and asset management company representing the security's interest, in March demanded full payment of the loan from Pirani, according to court documents. When that didn't happen, Orix sought foreclosure.

Pirani and La Villita sued Orix and other parties with an interest in the debt, seeking relief from foreclosure and indemnity from other parties that might demand payment on the debt.

In closing arguments Friday, Pirani's attorney Mark Murphy said when his client tried to ask for an extension from his lender and make an offer to settle the debt, Pirani was stymied by Orix, which tacked on hundreds of dollars in default fees and late fees and sought foreclosure rather than settle the loan.

Orix's attorneys countered that Pirani had violated the terms of the loan and the company was in its rights to seek foreclosure.

Nellermoe granted La Villita indemnity and awarded them attorneys fees as well as granting them relief from foreclosure and wiping the default fees and late fees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio