HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:04 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

re signage

well the city did concider them clutter and brought in taxs to clean them up and now as times gone its become a cash grab... its kinda stupid can be 1000's for a sigh on ur building even ones in windows can get taxed... its outa hand and needs to be rectified

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 10:06 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's nice that the Avenue and Hample Buildings were saved and renovated, but I think when the Kensington was built in the 70s, it was expected that they'd be demolished with a new building rising between it and the Paris Building. Who knows, it could still happen some day although probably not for at least a few decades.

Anyway, the point is this... for all the crap that the Kensington Building takes it's far from the only building of its kind with a blank wall designed to accommodate neighbours. This is proper urban design IMO. The issue is not the blank wall, it's really a matter of the anticipated adjacent building not having been built yet.

Besides, no one ever seems to mind all the other buildings that are built the same way...

used to be a window well in the midle of that tower that was filled in with a stair case. when it was converted to apartments

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 3:47 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
The signage is incredible. All of it.

Are there any historians out there that can tell me why and when businesses stopped investing in their signage?

I have a few theories swirling around in my head, some of which I might have read along the way, others which I might have completely made up.

1. Modern city planning (1960s) frowned upon this kind of signage, which was seen as unnecessary visual clutter.

2. Home computers and desktop publishing "empowered" business owners to "design" their own signage (or hire their 12-year old nephews). I guess this would have been early- to mid-eighties.

3. The internet redirected where business owners spent their money. Pre-internet promotional dollars were spent on signage, whereas nowadays they're spent on websites.

Does any of this add up? All I know for sure is that modern-day signage pales in comparison to the signage of yesterday. We've lost so much—not just the pure-eye candy, but the way this signage engages pedestrians and enriches the walkability of commercial blocks.
Probably all of those. I can think of a few others:

4. Faster traffic speeds meant that motorists couldn't read signs unless they were large and plain. That led to the plastering over of entire facades as backgrounds for huge signs that squarely faced the street. I remember those on Main Street with Wilson's and Ashdown's, and others I'm sure.

5. Rising energy bills probably encouraged the replacement of a lot of illuminated signs with simpler versions.

6. As business migrated to the malls, less profitable businesses moving into the stores couldn't afford elaborate signs.

7. I would imagine there were fewer skilled sign makers as all of this occurred.

8. Association of neon signs with sleaziness (which would have happened as businesses catering to the middle-class abandoned their high-street locations for malls). The Bell Hotel is my most deeply engrained memory of a neon sign in Winnipeg - or the Shanghai maybe.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Probably all of those. I can think of a few others:

6. As business migrated to the malls, less profitable businesses moving into the stores couldn't afford elaborate signs.

7. I would imagine there were fewer skilled sign makers as all of this occurred.

8. Association of neon signs with sleaziness (which would have happened as businesses catering to the middle-class abandoned their high-street locations for malls). The Bell Hotel is my most deeply engrained memory of a neon sign in Winnipeg - or the Shanghai maybe.
Yes, yes. These three seem especially likely.

Hey while on the subject of signage, has anyone noticed that the Northern Hotel has taken down their perpendicular sign? It wasn't the best sign around, but it did contribute nicely to the texture of the North Main strip.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.90836...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Also gone is Canadian Motorcycle, taking its cheesy but eye-catching frontage with it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.91228...2!8i6656?hl=en

Two blows for Main Street, if you ask me.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:52 PM

^ The Northern's sign is gone? Too bad.

Even after North Main developed its skid row reputation, there was still a lot of awesome signage along it. I'm pretty sure I can remember the Starland Theatre's impressive sign lit up sometime in the 80s, and there was a lot of unique neon and light like the Bell sign that Andy6 mentioned. These days there are really only a few traces of that left, and what little is still there is disappearing quickly.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 1:16 AM

Aren't the Wolchock brothers @ the Neon Factory the last ones in Winnipeg that fix neon signs?
And for some reason when I was going to work this week I looked at their Main St building and I think that they finally sold it so they may be out of the neon repair business now.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Did all of those buildings sell?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:04 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
That guy's Flickr account is gold... just so many pictures from the 20th century that you never see anywhere else online. I salute the ever-toiling local hero jerryco99 for his efforts.

Look at this beauty... that's the Pantages Playhouse and the then-impressive Market Avenue streetscape on the right edge.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9513047@N05/34991937416/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:34 PM
BANNED

I forgot to post that one LOL. I keep saying it, but if only these buildings were still standing, and redeveloped. Yeah Esquire, that Market Ave streetscape was amazing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:56 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I would forgo the TD Tower 10 times of 10 to get back to what that corner used to be.

It's just a wind swept wasteland now.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 4:58 PM
BANNED

Agreed Drew. It was totally shortsighted demolishing those incredible buildings in the name of making the city "modern". If the 1950s TD Bank building was the lone sacrifice for a shiny new tower, that would be acceptable, but the whole freakin corner? Dumb.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:24 PM

a response to comment #3488 in Winnipeg Construction: Fortune and Macdonald Buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The scaffolding was only needed for the masonry repointing and repairs. The rest (windows, etc.) can be done from inside and with a lift.
. The Macdonald has experienced serious settling of floors and interior support structures. Christian Cassidy has reported the 1884 construction costs for the Macdonald and Fortune as $16,000 and $32,000, respectively. This major difference in cost may well account for the much worse condition of the Macdonald interior. It may also account for the differing schedule regarding windows.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:51 PM

Add to that the condition it was in as a result of it being used as a rooming house. I was in there and I've never seen a building in such deplorable condition in my life. Cockroaches out in the open there were so many. Mice, doors kicked in and broken. It was a mess. How those people could live there...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 8:59 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I have that photo framed and hanging in my living room. I've also had it on Flickr since 2007. It's perfectly possible that this version is from his own source -- the upper floors of the Childs Building are cropped out in this version, unlike mine, and I don't see anything else similar to my stuff on his page -- but in general this type of concern is why I don't put anything online anymore, except in private/friends mode.

The worst is seeing my historic images for sale on eBay by people who have downloaded them off Flickr. One particularly brazen eBay seller even had his own "copyright" watermark on MY image!

But anyway, all fulminating aside, that is a great photo. I wish I knew who took it and for what purpose.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 11:55 PM
BANNED

OMG some people eh? No shame!

Oh how I wish those buildings were still around.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:52 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Aren't the Wolchock brothers @ the Neon Factory the last ones in Winnipeg that fix neon signs?
And for some reason when I was going to work this week I looked at their Main St building and I think that they finally sold it so they may be out of the neon repair business now.
What happened to neon? What, not as popular as it was in the 1980s and before that the 1940s-50s-60s, which the 80s were trying to emulate, because your parents grew up in those years?

I know...the same people who "hate" neon are the very same ones who "hate" the "brown" on 360 Main. They just hate anything about the 1980s and want to see it "abolished", erased from our culture.

Last edited by LilZebra; Jun 11, 2017 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 6:33 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
OMG some people eh? No shame!

Oh how I wish those buildings were still around.
Yes. By the end they were pretty forlorn looking -- the Nanton and the Childs, at least -- but if they had survived they could well have been gems by now. It was one of the two major losses to occur after the heritage conservation era began, the other being Eaton's.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 3:31 PM
BANNED

So sad. Were you ever inside those buildings?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 4:38 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
So sad. Were you ever inside those buildings?
No. They didn't really look too inviting in my time. If you were a kid and went downtown you were rarely if ever way down at that end of Portage. Almost everything of interest was in the stretch between Eaton's and the Bay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan