HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The main campus has overhead walkways and I can't imagine being without them. Underground would mean sump pits, constantly running pumps and enourmous bills when it started to leak. Overhead is ideal.

Going outside is fine too, but tell that to the guys that push the carts of printer paper around.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I don't think the walkway is that bad but I can't support it simply because it seems so unnecessary. It's a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. Like just walk across the damn street. What is it about Winnipeg that we can't fathom the idea that people would just walk across a street at ground level?
The cold is absolutely a problem that exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Exactly. Aside from the original campus, U of W has buildings scattered all over the West End that aren't connected (and much further apart than these two) and you don't hear people complaining about it there. How hard is it to put your jacket on – most people would have it with them anyway.
I think you guys are missing the point... this is how Wpg used to think apartments... don't do the unnecessary. One of the mindsets that's holding us back.

Students, residents, tenants, end users have evolved. The story is now "what have you done for me lately?" Connectivity is one of the foremost amenities desired by end users of real estate. It's a key component of "location, location, location".

You don't get people into your building, you don't curate great atmosphere by telling the customers and surrounding area that they don't need something, unless it's too cost-prohibitive.

We also need to use foresight here... it's vital to create urban environments that non-Winnipeggers, whether new immigrants or new companies can enjoy. Little things like these walkways go a long way towards not attracting, but securing interest.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 10:39 PM

Notre Dame Campus is vast, sparse, and more spread out and extremely windy (like U of M), much more than Exchange District Campus. U of W is fairly spread out and almost nothing is connected – it's a vibrant campus area. This is literally crossing essentially a residential street. If anything, city should raise the road between these two buildings like at the airport, or what's happening at TNS. Make it a more inviting area, shared-use road and safe crossing.

Also Wolf, there's a big difference between doing the bare minimum or eliminating extra wants, and not doing things that are fully unnecessary, out of character for environment, and don't benefit most people. If there was an existing skywalk network in the Exchange, it'd make sense, but this is just not worth the side effects.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:32 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Notre Dame Campus is vast, sparse, and more spread out and extremely windy (like U of M), much more than Exchange District Campus. U of W is fairly spread out and almost nothing is connected – it's a vibrant campus area. This is literally crossing essentially a residential street. If anything, city should raise the road between these two buildings like at the airport, or what's happening at TNS. Make it a more inviting area, shared-use road and safe crossing.

Also Wolf, there's a big difference between doing the bare minimum or eliminating extra wants, and not doing things that are fully unnecessary, out of character for environment, and don't benefit most people. If there was an existing skywalk network in the Exchange, it'd make sense, but this is just not worth the side effects.
The plan is to close the street to cars between the two buildings.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The plan is to close the street to cars between the two buildings.
Love it. Even more reason against the sidewalk, won't have to wait to safely cross.

That is where the accessible loading is now though – only other real options would be to move the bus stop on William and use that as loading, or either move the bus stop on Princess and/or reconfigure Princess. Right now there's no stopping for 80% of the block on the right lane of Princess, essentially making one long right turn lane to William. No reason that block needs 3 "through" lanes and a left parking lane.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
The cold is absolutely a problem that exists.

I think you guys are missing the point... this is how Wpg used to think apartments... don't do the unnecessary. One of the mindsets that's holding us back.

Students, residents, tenants, end users have evolved. The story is now "what have you done for me lately?" Connectivity is one of the foremost amenities desired by end users of real estate. It's a key component of "location, location, location".

You don't get people into your building, you don't curate great atmosphere by telling the customers and surrounding area that they don't need something, unless it's too cost-prohibitive.

We also need to use foresight here... it's vital to create urban environments that non-Winnipeggers, whether new immigrants or new companies can enjoy. Little things like these walkways go a long way towards not attracting, but securing interest.
So students are going to say "you know I would enroll at RRC but I might end up having class at that building without the walkway and then I could have to go outside for like 20 seconds. Maybe I'll just go to SAIT instead"?? There's no attached parkade or bus shelter so how are these people getting to and from the building if they're too delicate to be outside for 20 seconds? The fact that they're closing the street and building the walkway makes it extra ridiculous.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:23 AM

Good News

Quote:
Red River College to start construction on $95-M innovation centre
By: Larry Kusch | Posted: 07/17/2018 7:00 PM

After receiving federal assurances that its funding is now secure, Red River College will begin construction this week on its $95 million Innovation Centre.

RRC president and CEO Paul Vogt said Tuesday the college has received word from the prime minister's office, Manitoba cabinet minister Jim Carr and the Western Diversification Office that $40.6 million in federal funding is firmly in place.

The college placed the project on hold in March, saying it could not meet a Nov. 30 construction deadline imposed by Ottawa. That had threatened Ottawa's total contribution, some $12 million of which had already been advanced.

After months of negotiations — and worry over the project's future — the federal cash will now flow albeit from a different — and as yet undisclosed — program.

"We’re obviously very excited about the project," said a relieved Vogt on Tuesday.

"It allows us to continue with some very innovative programming that I think is really going to reshape the future of the college."

While the funding issue held up construction, the summer building season is far from a total loss, Vogt said.

"The main issue was being able to pour the piles and the foundation because of the issues around curing cement. Given that the season for doing that runs into mid-October that will allow both the foundation and the framing work to be done in this construction season," he said.

During the delay, the project's design was completed and some construction tenders were let, Vogt said.

The Innovation Centre is expected to attract more than 1,200 students and staff to RRC’s downtown campus. Despite the delay caused by the funding uncertainty, the college still hopes to have the building completed by late summer 2020.

The project has strong support from the local business community and is seen as a key pillar underpinning a growing downtown hub of tech and start-up enterprises.

Chuck Davidson, president and chief executive officer of the Manitoba Chambers of Commerce, welcomed the apparent end to the funding stalemate.

"This (project) will be a welcome addition to Red River College, the Exchange District and will be a critical piece for the Manitoba business community as we develop our focus on being a leader in innovation and the workforce needs of the future," he said in an email.

The federal contribution of $40.6 million is the project’s sole source of direct government funding. The province’s contribution was to guarantee a loan of up to $54.8 million while the college initiates a fundraising campaign.

Funding for the project had originally been approved to come from post-secondary institutions strategic investment fund, launched in April 2016. However, RRC didn’t reach a formal funding agreement with Ottawa until late June of last year. That left only 17 months to finish the building.

Ottawa had been loath to extend the Nov. 30 deadline – already an extension from the original deadline of this past April 30 – because it would have received pressure for the same courtesy from other projects across Canada.

Natural Resources Minister Jim Carr could not be reached for comment on Tuesday.

larry.kusch@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...488447321.html

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jul 18, 2018 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:49 AM

This should be contingent on dropping the skywalk

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Get ready to change to under construction.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:07 AM

It's going to be a monumental change for that area between RRC and all the new apartments on Ross. Plus someone mentioned one of the warehouses on Ross has a conversion planned soon as well.

Then Marketlands should start...

The area is going to be fantastic, and attention will soon shift toward Chinatown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 3:29 AM

^ Great news... that will be quite an increase to RRC's footprint in the Exchange District.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Looking at the pics above, I love the scale of all of those buildings. If I were a developer, I would definitely jump into the fray and invest in the area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Looking at the pics above, I love the scale of all of those buildings. If I were a developer, I would definitely jump into the fray and invest in the area.
Yup, do it now while the land value is quite low, and it's gonna rise a lot in the next 5–10 years.

It's funny how lots of people (on here) are have been pushing for and touting the northeast Exchange as prime locations for these small apartments/brownstones... but it's organically happening in the NW Exchange. Good to see.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 11:29 AM

Lightbulb

Winnipeg is benefitting right now from some very strong leadership in key development positions. Paul Vogt is doing a terrific job, Jordan at the Forks, Rempel at the airport authority. Chipman, and others as well. There really isn't any substitute for strategic vision. it is a great time to be living in the Peg imo.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 1:23 PM
BANNED

Plenty of derelict houses in the area are ripe for demolition, replaced by townhomes, etc.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Yup, do it now while the land value is quite low, and it's gonna rise a lot in the next 5–10 years.

It's funny how lots of people (on here) are have been pushing for and touting the northeast Exchange as prime locations for these small apartments/brownstones... but it's organically happening in the NW Exchange. Good to see.
What will be interesting to me is whether RRC's growth has any appreciable impact on the Centennial neighbourhood immediately to the west.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Plenty of derelict houses in the area are ripe for demolition, replaced by townhomes, etc.
Yup, it's already been happening on and around William for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What will be interesting to me is whether RRC's growth has any appreciable impact on the Centennial neighbourhood immediately to the west.
It definitely will. Many immigrants are moving in which often helps. RRC and Exchange growing. Plus, all the new active transportation infrastructure, it's only going to continue to make it a more and more attractive area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
RED RIVER COLLEGE’S NEW 100,000 SQ. FT. INNOVATION CENTRE BREAKS GROUND
Published: Wednesday, 18 July 2018 10:30
Shovels hit the ground Wednesday July 18 at Red River College’s Exchange District Campus, on the site of what will become the new Innovation Centre @ RRC. In front of a distinguished audience of dignitaries and project stakeholders, RRC executive director of Indigenous strategy Rebecca Chartrand blessed the site on behalf of campus elders.

The new Innovation Centre is designed to foster collaboration between students, faculty, industry and the community, leading to new ideas and partnerships that support the college’s goal of preparing students for the job market and moving local industry ahead of the curve. Designed by Number TEN Architectural Group and Diamond Schmitt Architects inc. in joint venture, the facility’s striking design features will capture the imagination of both building users and passersby.

“During the design process, we proposed that wonder, Imagination, empathy, mystery, being startled, and engaging in passionate search are the key experiences underpinning innovation,” said Number TEN partner-in-charge Doug Hanna in his address to the audience. “In our search for additional layers of meaning that complemented the project charter, it was our intention that the Innovation Centre @ Red River College inspire these qualities in students and faculty.”

The Innovation Centre’s project charter – a set of established and agreed upon project objectives – includes the following goals:
• Community connectivity, inclusion and collaboration
• Socially responsible programs and initiatives
• Agility and adaptability to enhance innovation
• Unique architectural design relevant to innovative learning and teaching
• Heritage adaptive re-use sensitive to the exchange district
• Leading edge sustainability

Among the project’s most ambitious goals is its net zero emissions energy target – a first for a project of this scale in Manitoba. A net zero building is one where the total energy consumed annually is approximately equal to the amount of renewable energy created on the site and returned to the grid.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Jul 18, 2018 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 9:46 PM

Everything about it is absolutely stunning (except the skywalk).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 11:11 AM

I just graduated from this campus and think the skywalk is a fantastic idea.

If I have a class on two, it's absurd to think that my choice is either to do a mad dash across the street mid winter in my shirt sleeves - all sorts of safety concerns from freezing, traffic, or slipping hazards - or go get my shit from a third or fourth floor locker, and go all the way down to the first floor, instead of using a nice heated skywalk, all because of some urbanist pinhead and their misdirected principles.

The fact is, there's already enough foot traffic on the main level because of Tim horton's, the merc, the gym, the eating area, the parking lot, student services, buhler, bus stops, etc., and that will only increase regardless of a skywalk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan