HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:10 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aparently it was the winnipeg general hospital now known as hsc is the word im geting atm

Edit a[arently there was a house on power then a building on burrows
http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/czerwinski_cf.shtml

Last edited by 1ajs; Apr 4, 2017 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:07 PM

The historical report for St. Mary's Church is posted on the City web page (Property Committee agenda) since the building is under consideration for historical listing.

The report includes this gem of a picture taken in 1884 from Broadway looking northeast. Huge fenced yards north of Broadway. (That's the original church, it was later rebuilt to appear as it does today).

Other buildings nominated include:

287 Garry - Garrick Hotel
283 Portage - Sterling Bank
90 Annabella - J.R. Watkins Factory/Warehouse
661 Main - Kaplan Building

Well worth reading those reports as there are lots of historical photos included.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 3:16 PM

^ Cool. I'd love to know the story behind why Winnipeg's cathedral is essentially a slightly expanded version of the small town church that St. Mary's was built as. I find it curious that a larger, grander cathedral was never built in the city's boom days when St. Mary's must have been just bursting at the seams.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Cool. I'd love to know the story behind why Winnipeg's cathedral is essentially a slightly expanded version of the small town church that St. Mary's was built as. I find it curious that a larger, grander cathedral was never built in the city's boom days when St. Mary's must have been just bursting at the seams.
Winnipeg of that era did not strike me as being particularly Catholic. To me it seemed more mixed Protestant Catholic and a bit Jewish. St. Boniface on the other hand did, hence the large Cathedral.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:34 PM

I think you are right. The historical report noted that the St. Boniface diocese started the church in Winnipeg almost like a mission outreach to the city - it did eventually become the home of Roman Catholics in the city, but the origins were in St. Boniface first.

Downtown had a lot of very large Presbyterian, Methodist and other Protestant churches at that time as well. There are lots of photos of them in the historical report.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Winnipeg of that era did not strike me as being particularly Catholic. To me it seemed more mixed Protestant Catholic and a bit Jewish. St. Boniface on the other hand did, hence the large Cathedral.
I would have figured that by the 1910s there would have been a sizable Catholic population even if it was small in relation to Protestants, but what you're saying definitely sounds plausible.

Losing the St. Boniface Cathedral was downright tragic... it may have been the best house of worship ever in this city.

source: winnipegarchitecture.ca

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I would have figured that by the 1910s there would have been a sizable Catholic population even if it was small in relation to Protestants, but what you're saying definitely sounds plausible.

Losing the St. Boniface Cathedral was downright tragic... it may have been the best house of worship ever in this city.

source: winnipegarchitecture.ca
It was a grand Cathedral. I wish I could find more photos of the interior. I have seen very few.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 11:59 PM

Here are a few that were downtown at that time.

Here is an old interior from St. Mary's

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Whoa. I knew that they were going to build apartments on that old rail line south of the river. But I never realized until I looked at it on Google Maps just now how it was turned into one LONG WALL of continuous identical buildings.

Whatever happened to the plan to turn the rail bridge into condos?
Sorry I missed seeing this question sooner.

The owner (local architect Alex Katz and not related to the former mayor) could not get provincial environmental approval to build it.

Winnipeg Free Press has an article here from 2009 on what happened.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...-68543262.html

Sort of like what happened to the Bergen Cutoff Bridge in NK. The local residents did not want to see anything use the bridge and block their view of the river.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 2:25 PM

^ Love it!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 2:03 PM

Steamboats in Manitoba

Not sure if this warrants a thread, but before the importance of the railway, and then the vehicle, steamboats were integral in transforming the early history of our province. With the Alexander Docks having been closed for a while now, the era of steamboats and riverboats on Manitoba's waterways seems to officially be over. Sorry if I've made to many threads, I'd been following the forum for three years before I made an account, so I have lots of ideas for threads!

The first steamboat on the Red, the Anson Northup

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/ansonnorthup.shtml

Perhaps Manitoba's most notable shipping disaster, the SS Princess which sank in a violent storm on Lake Winnipeg in 1906, 6 perished.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/features/t...e/db0151.shtml

The SS Keenora, my grandma would take weekend excursions up to Lake Winnipeg on her, with fond memories of standing at the bow with her ice cream. Now the "flagship" of the Marine Museum in Selkirk.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history...verboats.shtml

The Winnitoba, perhaps the largest steamboat to ever sail Manitoba's waterways, just short of 200 feet long.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/features/t...e/db0153.shtml

The Paddlewheel Queen and River Rouge, the most recent riverboats.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/mb_history...verboats.shtml

The Lord Selkirk II, largest ship by tonnage, and probably tallest above the water level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Lord_Selkirk_II

Not a southern steamboat, but a shipwreck, in Manitoba! The MV Ithaca.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/ithaca.shtml

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:35 AM

Hey balletomane, great idea for a thread and I encourage you to create more in the future. But in this case I think we can place the topic for discussion into a historical category here, even though it's title is geared primarily to Winnipeg and these vessels did travel other waterways in Manitoba, and still do in some cases..

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Hey balletomane, great idea for a thread and I encourage you to create more in the future. But in this case I think we can place the topic for discussion into a historical category here, even though it's title is geared primarily to Winnipeg and these vessels did travel other waterways in Manitoba, and still do in some cases..
Thanks Cyro! I kinda regretted making a thread for this topic, after I made it I figured it should've gone in an existing thread like this.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Thanks Cyro! I kinda regretted making a thread for this topic, after I made it I figured it should've gone in an existing thread like this.
Nah, no worries, I've created some threads in the past that could have been covered elsewhere..

Anyway, I do have some fond memories of some of the vessels you've mentioned as well..

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:45 PM

It is truly puzzling and a little sad that we no longer see any cruise ships/river boats travel from Winnipeg or Selkirk to Lake Winnipeg to show off one of the few unique features of Manitoba Guess it's a sign of changing tastes in the younger generations and an economic model that no longer works.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
It is truly puzzling and a little sad that we no longer see any cruise ships/river boats travel from Winnipeg or Selkirk to Lake Winnipeg to show off one of the few unique features of Manitoba Guess it's a sign of changing tastes in the younger generations and an economic model that no longer works.
These days you can fly off somewhere exotic for a comparatively low price... vacations that would have been off limits or maybe once in a lifetime excursions for the middle or working classes are common. It's hard to compete with the exotic charm of the Caribbean or Europe when you're running a boat up Lake Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
These days you can fly off somewhere exotic for a comparatively low price... vacations that would have been off limits or maybe once in a lifetime excursions for the middle or working classes are common. It's hard to compete with the exotic charm of the Caribbean or Europe when you're running a boat up Lake Winnipeg.
Were the day trips of the Lord Selkirk comparable in costs to those trips you mentioned? I don't seem to recall although I suspect it wouldn't have been more than a few hundred dollars.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I wish we still had at least one, but the Alexander Docks (or really any new docks) need to be (re)built if we want one riverboat on our waters. I was lucky that I was able to sail the River Rouge a few times, it wasn't anything extremely special, but it is a unique experience in the middle of the prairie and a cool way to see the city.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:20 PM
BANNED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan