HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 10:42 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've got a message in to my Page friend. See if he can shed some light on groundbreaking.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 11:43 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Tower View Post
Updated this to celebrate -- let's just pretend the 56 East tower is happening:

That's awesome. Thank you.

One question: isn't "The Travis" proposed to be two towers? One of 695' and the other of 595'?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:05 AM

This one looks really, really nice. Might be my favorite proposed tower right now. I think the balconies really make it stand out.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

One question: isn't "The Travis" proposed to be two towers? One of 695' and the other of 595'?
I was just thinking this, too. Those two will be massive as well.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 2:21 AM

Damn. Rainey is so cool. I should have held onto my condo at Milago. Oh well.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:12 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Is there a thread for One Austin? I vaguely remember it but are there any renderings? You know there's a lot going on when you can't remember all the various projects.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Is there a thread for One Austin? I vaguely remember it but are there any renderings? You know there's a lot going on when you can't remember all the various projects.
Here's the thread on it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211878

We don't have any renderings for it, only some massing models, plus the building elevations from the site plan.

There was a shorter version of the project, too, in which we saw the model for it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 6:49 AM

Late to the party here but:

I really like the blue elements along the top. I suspect that will look very cool at night.

The whole Rainey area could start feeling like THE CITY soon; a dense urban outgrowth/extension of downtown.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 7:27 AM
World Traveler

It seems to me that it will only be the plot that currently holds Lake View Plaza. I only say this based on the rendering - you can see SkyHouse and it's a pretty sharp angle. It seems that something else could be built between this and 48 East, albeit something pretty narrow. Total guess on my part, but that'd be some cool density if so.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

Yeah, this rendering just shows the Phase I tower -- it's a totally arbitrary decision but I guess it felt like putting both towers in would dominate the speculative rendering too much especially when we have no idea of the actual timeline, and plus Genesis has been pretty all over the map regarding the height of that second tower, if I recall. That doesn't explain why the 56 East Avenue tower is in there, though, since we know the chances of that happening are probably even lower...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:21 AM

I guess I’ll be the guy that thinks the design is boring and meh. A great architectural town is one that has diversity of style. Everything in Austin is starting to look the same to me.

But it is extremely tall.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ View Post
I guess I’ll be the guy that thinks the design is boring and meh. A great architectural town is one that has diversity of style. Everything in Austin is starting to look the same to me.

Height matters so that's a major going for it. I like all the balconies. Its not an architectural marvel by any means, but there's probably not too many reasons to create one in Austin anyway. Not for a condo tower. Its always been function over style here. But for the diversity you are waiting for, its coming.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:41 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ View Post

Most residential towers on the planet are "meh" in overall aesthetic. That is by no means giving developers & their architects a pass...it's just pointing out the obvious. Plus, Austin is nowhere near being in the league of cities whose economy's force developers to construct towers of "'world-class' design."

Also, I, personally, would not consider this tower as being "extremely" tall.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:47 AM
Meh

The height is good. This is going to be the highest roof east of Congress. Only the Fairmont spire will be higher.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 1:57 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This is going to be the highest roof east of Congress. Only the Fairmont spire will be higher.
Depends on what actually gets built in the area (based on current proposals). I know, some have little chance of coming to fruition as currently proposed. But, there are four towers, on the books, with rooflines higher than this one's (just in the Rainey District alone). Again, two of those are Waller Park Place...which will more than likely have its approved site plan never realized.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:28 AM
Meh

Those other projects have been really quiet, though. The only ones with higher roofs are the tallest Waller Park Place tower. The middle tower in that project was around 523 feet. The two Travis towers are taller. We don't know what that project will look like, though, as we haven't seen any renderings or building plans. And I wouldn't hold my breath about Waller Park Place. That project always felt like a pipe dream to me.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 7:26 AM
De Lurk Squad

Seems other than the Fairmont all the developments along waller creek above rainey st. district are stuck in the mud. Maybe there is a reason besides financial.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
Seems other than the Fairmont all the developments along waller creek above rainey st. district are stuck in the mud. Maybe there is a reason besides financial.
Well 91 Red River is moving along quickly. But beyond that, half of the property in that area is owned by "developers" (i.e. WCCG and Sutton) who really only buy and sell expensive lots. So until one of them sells, don't expect anything to be built there no matter what the hype is.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:17 PM

Also, the two tower Travis project has been moving through the process in typical fashion and is being developed by a national developer. So that one is not suspect at this point. But One Austin is a whole other story.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 3:13 PM

The site plan was filed this morning.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=805989

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin