HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:40 AM

Block 36

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 5:42 AM

Block 36 made very good use of a CVC encumbered site.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:09 AM

Is there a thread for the Bull Creek development? I took a wrong turn earlier today coming from Jefferson and 38th st. I've been through there a thousand times but didn't recognize all the development. It was pretty impressive. I guess I totally slept on this neighborhood. It looks totally different!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
Is there a thread for the Bull Creek development? I took a wrong turn earlier today coming from Jefferson and 38th st. I've been through there a thousand times but didn't recognize all the development. It was pretty impressive. I guess I totally slept on this neighborhood. It looks totally different!
It's called the 'Grove'. The thread has slipped to page two:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=216463

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:35 PM

I posted some photo updates of the the Grove. I was near the central market area but I think I just have video of that area that built up.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 12:06 AM

I updated the Tallest Projects List in the sticky Development Links thread.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:49 AM

Austin's new $1B mixed-use project breaks ground near Samsung factory

Quote:
By John Egan
Jan 28, 2021

Reger Holdings, a real estate investment and development company based in West Seneca, New York, has started work on EastVillage, a 425-acre project near Samsung’s manufacturing complex that will feature:

2,000 apartments
466 single-family homes built by KB Home
Active-adult communities
810,000 square feet of office space
223,000 square feet of retail space
96,000 square feet of restaurant space
Three hotels with a total of 390 rooms
Grocery store
Movie theater
150-acre wooded nature preserve

Work already is underway on a 14-acre, 312-unit apartment complex, with completion scheduled for the spring of 2022. Following that, construction will start on a 15-acre component with 422 apartments and nearly 143,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space. Meanwhile, KB Home plans to begin construction in February on the single-family homes.

Reger Holdings anticipates EastVillage will be completed in 2028.
https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...acturing-site/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:32 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

Interesting quote from this article at the end:
Quote:
Samsung currently employs roughly 3,300 people at its Northeast Austin manufacturing complex. Its first local factory opened in 1997 and its second in 2007. The company recently bought 258 acres next to its two Austin plants, suggesting that the land could be the future home of a third factory. However, the Wall Street Journal article raises the possibility that the new plant may be built in the Austin suburb of Taylor, and not along East Parmer.
This is the first I've heard of this possibility. Doesn't make much sense from where I sit to buy all that land and not use it, so I wonder where WSJ got this info from.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Interesting quote from this article at the end:

"Samsung currently employs roughly 3,300 people at its Northeast Austin manufacturing complex. Its first local factory opened in 1997 and its second in 2007. The company recently bought 258 acres next to its two Austin plants, suggesting that the land could be the future home of a third factory. However, the Wall Street Journal article raises the possibility that the new plant may be built in the Austin suburb of Taylor, and not along East Parmer."

This is the first I've heard of this possibility. Doesn't make much sense from where I sit to buy all that land and not use it, so I wonder where WSJ got this info from.
That is interesting, but color me skeptical. So many arrows are pointing to that next door parcel, I'd actually be shocked if it were placed anywhere else.

Re: this development . . . I'm fascinated by how completely this style has taken over the standard suburban building patterns. Instead of just unending acres and acres of single family homes, we're now adding a village center with retail and a park/amenity, higher density housing around it, and then single family homes in a ring outside of THAT. Every development of any scale that's being built in the burbs has this structure to it. Not sure if it's something we can attribute to Millenial buying preferences (skewing heavily urban), but it sure seems like it has something to do with it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:46 PM
World Traveler

I agree re: Samsung. Doesn't make sense to build anywhere other than next door.

And re: this development and others, yes I have seen that pattern as well. Mueller is even an example of this.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 3:27 PM

It's called New Urbanism. Here is the website for the local chapter of the Congress of the New Urbanism (CNU): https://www.centraltexascnu.org/ Get Involved!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post

that is the most hideous thing i have ever seen

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:51 PM
クラブトクヨ

Reminds me of Mueller in some ways.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 12:52 AM

Austin: Parks & Rec Set to Procure CMAR for Mexic-Arte Museum Renovation

Quote:
Austin (Travis County) — The long-awaited renovations for the city’s Mexic-Arte Museum could finally be coming to fruition as two major City of Austin capital construction projects are set to be advertised in March.

One of those projects involves the museum as the city’s Parks and Recreation Department is set to issue a procurement for a Construction Manager at Risk (CMAR) for the improvements to the museum.

In 2018, the City Council approved an additional $15 million for the rehabilitation of the Mexic-Arte Museum from 2018 voter-approved bonds, bringing the total of available funding to $20 million.

Under the arrangement between the city and Mexic-Arte, the museum is required to raise $3.5 million in addition to the bond funding. The estimated project cost of the renovation is $12 million.

The resolution noted that the estimated budget for the entire project was $20 million and anticipated construction would commence in April of 2023, with the solicitation and evaluation process taking up to 12 months.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 2:49 PM

That's so great! I'm so curious if the exterior will have a dramatic change? It would be awesome to have something similar in looks to Ruby City in SA

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
That's so great! I'm so curious if the exterior will have a dramatic change? It would be awesome to have something similar in looks to Ruby City in SA
No. The building is deemed historic. They at least need to retain the facade, even if the building behind it is completely new.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That is interesting, but color me skeptical. So many arrows are pointing to that next door parcel, I'd actually be shocked if it were placed anywhere else.

Re: this development . . . I'm fascinated by how completely this style has taken over the standard suburban building patterns. Instead of just unending acres and acres of single family homes, we're now adding a village center with retail and a park/amenity, higher density housing around it, and then single family homes in a ring outside of THAT. Every development of any scale that's being built in the burbs has this structure to it. Not sure if it's something we can attribute to Millenial buying preferences (skewing heavily urban), but it sure seems like it has something to do with it.
I think it's a result of tradeoffs that Millenials have in terms of hating traditional suburbs/wanting to be in an urban area, yet still desiring good schools, a yard, and a sense of neighborhood/place.
The wife-and-2-kids thing doesn't really work that well in a downtown setting for a variety of reasons.

Definitely a much better design than aimless tract-home sprawl, IMO.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
"Kairoi Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" - Google finds all.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...partments.html
Developer buys West Sixth Street site for apartment tower
CEO: 'Austin has been tough to bet against. ... It’s a pretty magical place.'

By Erin Edgemon – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 14, 2020, 3:27pm EDT

San Antonio-based multifamily developer Kairoi Residential on March 9 purchased a quarter-block along West Sixth and Rio Grande streets, CEO Michael Lynd said.

It’s unclear how tall Kairoi’s new tower might be. The current zoning of the property allows for a tower with a 15:1 floor-to-area ratio. For a nearly 19,300-square-foot site, the tower could be about 292,000 square feet or about half the size of the Frost Bank Tower.

Kairoi also had that posted in a PDF on their site.

http://www.kairoi.com/wp-content/upl...se-5-14-20.pdf

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 3:59 AM

New Parkland at the Former Holly Street Power Plant Takes One Small Step

https://austin.towers.net/new-parkla...ne-small-step/

We’ve followed the civic saga of East Austin’s so-called Holly Shores region for years now, but the master plan for this enormous tract of parkland on the shores of Lady Bird Lake actually dates back all the way to 2009, when City Council first tasked the Parks and Recreation Department with forming a vision

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:51 PM

Shaping the Future of Austin’s Greatest Park With the Zilker Vision Plan

https://austin.towers.net/shaping-th...r-vision-plan/

More than a century after Andrew Jackson Zilker donated more than 350 acres of land to the City of Austin to create what would eventually become the city’s favorite metropolitan park, we find ourselves in an

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin