HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7361  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 4:16 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Re: the Orange line . . . is there still a sense that they'll focus on building out the central infrastructure first and then add extensions (like the Lamar Transit Center to Tech Ridge leg) later? Or are they going to build out the whole thing at one pop?
That part wasn't funded by Prop A. The orange line extensions (and Gold Line rail) happening any time soon are probably dependent on getting a higher than expected federal share. Certainly the plan is to hit up the Biden administration for as much as possible, especially if there's any recovery/stimulus infrastructure spending. Clark touched on on that at the end of the CapMetro board meeting, they started reaching out to the Biden transition team pre-inauguration.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7362  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 8:36 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
That part wasn't funded by Prop A. The orange line extensions (and Gold Line rail) happening any time soon are probably dependent on getting a higher than expected federal share. Certainly the plan is to hit up the Biden administration for as much as possible, especially if there's any recovery/stimulus infrastructure spending. Clark touched on on that at the end of the CapMetro board meeting, they started reaching out to the Biden transition team pre-inauguration.
Infrastructure has been talked up by the Ds for so long at this point I would be shocked if they didn't push something through as part of a stimulus bill in the next 6 months.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7363  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 1:30 AM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,200
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel1588 View Post
I know it probably won't happen, but it would be a dream come true if they could extend the underground portion up to UT.
It would be cheaper to just bridge over Guadalupe and run the trains above ground between West Capitol and 45th Street, at which point they could run at grade. It will be more visible above grade than below grade, and it's around 2.5 miles of tunneling expenses to avoid. At 45th Street I would start the transition down heading northbound, and at MLK I would start the transition down heading southbound. 4 lanes of traffic, 2 of which are already bus lanes, does not allow much left over for regular traffic if the trains take the remaining 2 lanes. While buses and trains can share the same lanes, they rarely share the same platforms, and will get in each others ways passing one another in the same lane. Not good at all unless the bus or train has another lane to pull into to get out of the way. But there is no room for that additional lane.
South of MLK the streets are one way pairs, and north of 35th street there are additional lanes available so buses and trains can pass each other at grade.

Of course, tunneling solves the room problem just as well, but at a much higher expense. Tunneling in the highly dense central business districts make far more sense than tunneling in a less dense residential district.

I believe construction costs for the entire route will determine if building above or below grade will be the solution built. If the cash is there, expect a longer subway, if not hope for an elevated guideway. Otherwise, homes and businesses will be lost forever making room so trains and buses can pass each other.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7364  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 6:55 PM
sentinel1588 sentinel1588 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 4
I've been doing some research on above ground systems and I really think this would be the way to go for Austin. If the rail line doesn't have to interact with the cars on the street level it would shorten travel time drastically. You could also build some really cool stations as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7365  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 7:13 PM
Mopacs's Avatar
Mopacs Mopacs is online now
Austinite
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin.TX.USA
Posts: 4,278
Quick question, and apologies if this has been already discussed, but how viable would it be to run the light rail line along one of the streets parallel to Guadalupe through West Campus?
__________________
Austin.Texas.USA
Home of the 2005 National Champion Texas Longhorns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7366  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2021, 9:26 PM
electricron's Avatar
electricron electricron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Granbury, Texas
Posts: 3,200
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Quick question, and apologies if this has been already discussed, but how viable would it be to run the light rail line along one of the streets parallel to Guadalupe through West Campus?
You would obviously wish to use a street that goes all the way through. Forget going through UT and any street east of it. The next street to the west of Guadalupe that goes all the way from MLK to 49th Street is Lamar. If you limit your northward reach to just 29th Street through the West Campus, it is the one way north Rio Grande, one existing through lane, one parking lane, and one two way bike lane, and it is 3 blocks west of Guadalupe. Believe it or not, Guadalupe is the largest street going north to south through the West Campus area - period. So you will most likely have to go over or under it if you do not wish to create a 24 hour traffic jam every day of the week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7367  
Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 9:41 PM
ATX2030 ATX2030 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 100
After delay, construction on new Broadmoor train station in North Austin will begin in spring

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...gin-in-spring/

Also

"Capital Metro further anticipates beginning construction on its McKalla station on the Red Line in early 2022, Maxfield said. The transit agency is in the early stages of developing a full schedule of build-out for that station, which will be located near Q2 Stadium."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7368  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:22 PM
drummer drummer is online now
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 3,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
After delay, construction on new Broadmoor train station in North Austin will begin in spring

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...gin-in-spring/

Also

"Capital Metro further anticipates beginning construction on its McKalla station on the Red Line in early 2022, Maxfield said. The transit agency is in the early stages of developing a full schedule of build-out for that station, which will be located near Q2 Stadium."
Great news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7369  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:47 PM
ATX2030 ATX2030 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 100
More Roads to Lead Austin to the Global Stage

Ari Rastegar is a supporter of the $7 billion Proposition A in Austin, Texas. Here's how he thinks the transit project will transform the metro.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/pos...-global-stage/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7370  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:36 PM
atxsnail atxsnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
More Roads to Lead Austin to the Global Stage

Ari Rastegar is a supporter of the $7 billion Proposition A in Austin, Texas. Here's how he thinks the transit project will transform the metro.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/pos...-global-stage/
I'm disappointed that he sounds reasonable and rational. I wanted to dislike him because of his proximity to Nate Paul.

Unrelated, I thought it was odd how long it's expected to take McKalla station to be completed. I just saw they plan on double tracking from Kramer to 183 as part of the project. I guess that's why it will take so long to plan and construct. The actual physical station work is probably trvial in comparison to the track/signal stuff.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...tion%20Map.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7371  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:44 PM
freerover freerover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
I'm disappointed that he sounds reasonable and rational. I wanted to dislike him because of his proximity to Nate Paul.

Unrelated, I thought it was odd how long it's expected to take McKalla station to be completed. I just saw they plan on double tracking from Kramer to 183 as part of the project. I guess that's why it will take so long to plan and construct. The actual physical station work is probably trvial in comparison to the track/signal stuff.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...tion%20Map.pdf
That was always part of the plan and one of the reasons Austin FC balked at paying for the "station" since it included so much track work outside of the property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7372  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:45 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post

Unrelated, I thought it was odd how long it's expected to take McKalla station to be completed. I just saw they plan on double tracking from Kramer to 183 as part of the project. I guess that's why it will take so long to plan and construct. The actual physical station work is probably trvial in comparison to the track/signal stuff.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...tion%20Map.pdf
Yeah, makes sense that they'd try to do both at once, since they're moving that direction. Possibly being closer to the service yard requires it for operational reasons, though it's only a bit closer.

Interestingly looks like the city is going to get them to do work for the Rundberg extension while they're at it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7373  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:39 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 879
Cross post from Moody Center thread:

Reconnect Austin's vision for the UT area is on page 24 of their briefing book: https://issuu.com/reconnectaustin/do...b7668973670e66

If you are not familiar with their vision, check out their website: https://reconnectaustin.com/

The next round of public consultation starts February 24th. Get involved!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7374  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:44 PM
eskimo33 eskimo33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 9th Rock from the Sun
Posts: 128
An interesting data point from a recent meeting about the proposed CapMetro Blue Line bridge across Lady Bird Lake. There are concerns that the bride (and associated) train will negatively impact the Congress Ave's Bridge Bat's nocturnal emergence. I.E. based on current modeling, the bats would not clear the train's path over the river. The potential disturbance was equated to, bugs smashed on a car windshield.
Possible solutions that were mentioned, another tunnel, another location for the bridge, or restrictions on when trains might cross the lake.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7375  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:11 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
An interesting data point from a recent meeting about the proposed CapMetro Blue Line bridge across Lady Bird Lake. There are concerns that the bride (and associated) train will negatively impact the Congress Ave's Bridge Bat's nocturnal emergence. I.E. based on current modeling, the bats would not clear the train's path over the river. The potential disturbance was equated to, bugs smashed on a car windshield.
Possible solutions that were mentioned, another tunnel, another location for the bridge, or restrictions on when trains might cross the lake.
Wait...are to telling us that bats are dumb enough not to avoid hitting a bridge? What happened to their echo location capabilities? Geez, they do a hell of a job missing trees and shrubs and power lines while foraging at night.

Whoever "modeled" this seems to think bats have trouble flying and require a long runway to take off.

Having said that...I rather liked the tunnel idea vastly more than a new bridge. Unless that bridge is designed by Santiago Calatrava.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7376  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:17 PM
eskimo33 eskimo33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: 9th Rock from the Sun
Posts: 128
I think it was more along the lines of the train running into the bats.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7377  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:26 PM
freerover freerover is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Wait...are to telling us that bats are dumb enough not to avoid hitting a bridge? What happened to their echo location capabilities? Geez, they do a hell of a job missing trees and shrubs and power lines while foraging at night.

Whoever "modeled" this seems to think bats have trouble flying and require a long runway to take off.

Having said that...I rather liked the tunnel idea vastly more than a new bridge. Unless that bridge is designed by Santiago Calatrava.
Really??? A bridge that also supports pedestrians would be a welcome addition.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7378  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:39 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Really??? A bridge that also supports pedestrians would be a welcome addition.
Agree. However, I still like the tunnel idea better. Austin will not build a beautiful, architectural gem of a bridge.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7379  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:41 PM
ILUVSAT's Avatar
ILUVSAT ILUVSAT is offline
May the Schwartz be w/ U!
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: S.A. | Nashville
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimo33 View Post
I think it was more along the lines of the train running into the bats.
Understood. Any way they could alter the timing of trains around dusk?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7380  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:00 PM
atxsnail atxsnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Understood. Any way they could alter the timing of trains around dusk?
The bats are famously unpredictable, and sometimes come out hours later than expected. You could reduce the likelihood of major bat impacts by avoiding a certain window of time, but if this is truly a problem I think we'd still have a bunch of dead bats on random days.

I wonder if they could just put up a bat-friendly shield of some kind to encourage them to go over the danger zone. Maybe we end up with some weird tunnel over part of the bridge
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:19 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.