HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 1:59 AM

Looked like the bottom section of the spine was lit up too - at least the bars in between the floors - but then there was a gap between that and the lantern. I'm curious to see how it all blends in once that gap is lit. At least as of 8PM, it looked like it'd blend quite nicely, though based on those pics, the lantern may have gotten brighter since then.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:33 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower View Post
nice pics. got a shot from around the same time with spire all lit up, except for for top panel
Incredible!
At first glance, I honestly thought I was looking at Manhattan.
What a clean shot!

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:30 AM

South Philly checking in on that Spire Watch

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 6:17 AM

The spine is really bright. I love it. This building is beautiful. I can’t believe some people thought it would be ugly when the renderings first came out. This is Norman Foster we’re talking about.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:17 AM
Mr. Technology

What I like about the Comcast Technology Center is that in Philadelphia, it anchors the skyline as the center of "Center City"; especially important now that the skyline has officially stretched across the Schuylkill River.

With the next generation of skyscrapers being planned & Amazon possibly moving in, this important tower provides a visual focus to Downtown, or shall I say; Midtown Philadelphia.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 11:42 AM

I hope the brightness of the lantern inspires the owners of the other buildings to step up their games and make the lights brighter - and white, except for legitimately special events.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 12:31 PM

^Wow, that is bright.

Looks like the spine is all filled in now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bif5XnBh...=phillyunknown

From 2 days ago, before the entire lantern was lit.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bia9ZZFh...=seizethelight

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:24 PM

Wow, this is beautiful, this building is really setting the bar high. This the lantern being this bright at night time one should be able to see downtown Philly from many miles away; possibly past Wilmington or Trenton. Wow.

This is a very beautiful building; I'm glad Philly finally is stepping up.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 2:39 PM
Mr. Technology

This is just the beginning, now that we have the fmc anchoring the Schuylkill along with the Comcast towers, Philadelphia is winning again!

Come on Amazon!

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:03 PM

Am I seriously the only who dislikes this building? Maybe behind all this love, there's a little homer bias? I know that the design was dictated by Comcast's desire for large open floors, but still, couldn't God, I mean Lord Foster, have come up with a better design to meet Comcast's requirements?

This is a fat, awkward looking brute of a building. It would have benefited from limiting the protrusions on the north and south sides to just one side (with the other side being flat). Or by an additional setback to give it a more graceful and gradual peak. Even at its base, it's just so abnormally wide.

If this tower was going up in Chicago, you all would love it like you do and be super jealous, "why isn't this beauty going up in Philly?" (For comparison sake, this office building was recently proposed in Chicago.)

Sorry, I don't share everyone else's enthusiasm.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Am I seriously the only who dislikes this building? Maybe behind all this love, there's a little homer bias? I know that the design was dictated by Comcast's desire for large open floors, but still, couldn't God, I mean Lord Foster, have come up with a better design to meet Comcast's requirements?

This is a fat, awkward looking brute of a building. It would have benefited from limiting the protrusions on the north and south sides to just one side (with the other side being flat). Or by an additional setback to give it a more graceful and gradual peak. Even at its base, it's just so abnormally wide.

If this tower was going up in Chicago, you all would love it like you do and be super jealous, "why isn't this beauty going up in Philly?" (For comparison sake, this office building was recently proposed in Chicago.)

No you’re hardly alone, there have been many many people that have stated their dislike of this tower for the same reasons you’ve given, just go back & read the thread. I’m a little confused by your point though, you suspect there’s a little ‘homer bias’ on the part of those of us that like it then go on to say if it were going up elsewhere (Chicago) we’d all love it & be super jealous??? Makes no sense

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:

You can debate the width and how it detracts from the aesthetics of the building from certain angles. From the west in particular though, this building is spectacular, I think it will be considered iconic in due time.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
No you’re hardly alone, there have been many many people that have stated their dislike of this tower for the same reasons you’ve given, just go back & read the thread. I’m a little confused by your point though, you suspect there’s a little ‘homer bias’ on the part of those of us that like it then go on to say if it were going up elsewhere (Chicago) we’d all love it & be super jealous??? Makes no sense
Yes, if you had a homer bias, you wouldn't be as enthusiastic about the building if it was built in another city. If you can honestly say you'd love this building just the same if it was in another city, then you do not have a homer bias. But b/c it's here, some might feel compelled to like it or downplay unattractive qualities of the building. I don't expect anyone to admit to this however and I'm not accusing anyone in particular.

Like it or not, this building is here to stay so may as well convince yourself to like it. I'm trying to but just can't. Now that it's complete, I'll lay my cards on the table. I don't like it. Now I don't think it's the worst thing that's ever been built or anything like that. I just don't think it's this iconic amazing building that everyone else seems to think it is.

But to end on a positive note, at least with this building wrapping up, we can begin to speculate about Comcast 3. And fortunately for me, Comcast seems to like working with different architects/styles on their buildings, so love it or hate it, the next building will be completely different.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:01 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:

The thing is, what you linked to is not an office building (per your link: "200-room hotel, 439 rental apartments and 125 condominiums in its upper reaches"). No office buildings are being built with that sort of floor plan as that is not what businesses want (namely, small floorplates that break-up teams unnecessarily over multiple floors). While you don't have to like the look of the building, making comparisons to residential/hotel towers isn't really a fair deal.

And for the record, what you linked to is indeed a gorgeous tower. I just happen to think the beastliness of CTC is a huge factor for what makes it awesome; sometimes hulking can be a good thing.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:

I think the mixed reviews, including those that deem the building to be somewhat ugly is to its credit in my view. It's not graceful but I wouldn’t call it awkward. It's not slender but I wouldn't call it bulky. It's very geometric but I wouldn’t cal it boxy. The thing I can say is that it's a very non-typical design and I might even say that it's a bit weird. But where else have you seen a very similar design? You could say that it looks to be influenced by his previous work, like the Messeturm. The cross bracing is definitely his trademark but I have to say the total work is unique.

For the Tribune Tower that you mentioned, isn’t it just a rehash of 1180 Peach Tree?

(Credit: matthewsalazar)

You could say the same thing for a much "sexier" tower like Sales Force. Is that really more than just another derivative of so many other obelisk type towers?

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post

For the Tribune Tower that you mentioned, isn’t it just a rehash of 1180 Peach Tree?

You could say the same thing for a much "sexier" tower like Sales Force. Is that really more than just another derivative of so many other obelisk type towers?

Ahh yes , the 1422' Chicago Tribune tower affectionately referred to as the " Bat man tower " .

I freaking love it , hope it gets built and am a cross between jealous and pissed off because nothing this big will probably
ever be built in Philly .

And on a more personal note , I don't like the Sales Force tower in S.F. and am glad it isn't in Philly .

....... But then I am not fond of WTC 1 either .....

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 7:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think the mixed reviews, including those that deem the building to be somewhat ugly is to its credit in my view. It's not graceful but I wouldn’t call it awkward. It's not slender but I wouldn't call it bulky. It's very geometric but I wouldn’t cal it boxy. The thing I can say is that it's a very non-typical design and I might even say that it's a bit weird. But where else have you seen a very similar design? You could say that it looks to be influenced by his previous work, like the Messeturm. The cross bracing is definitely his trademark but I have to say the total work is unique.

Sorry, but not sorry. There's nothing special looking about this bldg. I'll take CITC hands down. Again, you have to see all the details in person to really appreciate CITC. The bldg looks different throughout the day depending on how the light hits it, whether its sunny or not, from different angles, the exterior features and textures coexisting with the glass, and so on and so on. Most pictures of CITC don't do it real justice. A few that I saw that were like zoom shots show incredible details.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 10:13 PM

The spire is awesome indeed! It looks especially striking in the early morning and evening hours...

Up, up. and up Philly!

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 10:20 PM
Mr. Technology

Just wait until the restaurants open up!
That’s the perfect venue for any important social gathering.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 12:40 AM

No one has linked the Tribune addition. People have pictured the building some say the Tribune addition is derivative of. Here is the addition: https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/4/17...yscraper-hotel It's fine, but I don't think it's that special. I like how CTC turned out just fine. Agree that it's hard to make a great commercial building today. The desires for a modern workplace from a functional perspective tend to lead to hulking and beastly. Beautiful and graceful they may struggle with, but I think they are impressive in their own right when executed well, and I would put CTC in that bucket.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture