HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I know many people that get 25 or 30 year amortizations but do one or both of the following.

- Increase the monthly payment. Adds cash directly to principle but allows for flexibility should financial situations change.

- Make lump sum payments. I put my income tax return into my mortgage every year. Doing that alone drops my mortgage from 25 years to 16 years. However some would rather spend it on a new TV or a week in Mexico. To each their own.
Obviously I am aware of why people do this, I am just having a bit of fun with Riverman who likes to talk in absolutes, when obviously absolutes in this case do not apply.

Well that, and he had the gall to question the math skills of an Engineer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
It doesn't work that way if...

- Your wife is a stay-at-home mom
- You make charitable donations
- You contribute to an RRSP
- You take advantage of any other tax deductions (transit passes, fitness/music classes for kids)
Fair enough. Some deductions you can fill out a CRA form and send into your employer to get your deductions changed. However, last I checked it didn't apply to charitable donations (that's the one that effects me).

Edit: Here's the forms if anyone is interested. Might help out with 'stay at home mom': http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/td1/README.html
This form lets you reduce your taxes further - this appears to work for the things listed above: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1213/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:42 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Obviously I am aware of why people do this, I am just having a bit of fun with Riverman who likes to talk in absolutes, when obviously absolutes in this case do not apply.

Well that, and he had the gall to question the math skills of an Engineer.
I may question an engineer's intelligence, but I would never question their math skills

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:50 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Nice theory. However my house cost me $250k in 2010 while the house across the street (with the exact same floor plan and finishings) was renting at $1350/month. It is now renting at $1500/month.
While I don't disagree with your numbers, I can show you markets where it is much different; the reality in Winnipeg might be different.

What I was trying to point out is that real estate ownership is a lifestyle choice, not an investment. Renters can end up with just as much equity (with lower risk and more flexability) if they are intelligent with their choices, just like a home owner can end up with a lot of equity.

The key concept is "smart with their choices". If I am living pay cheque to pay cheque I am not making smart choices, so perhaps home ownership is the better idea because it's forced savings. But if you're not smart with your money it's hard to get the down payment saved up.

EDIT: Here is a link to my general views on home ownership vs. rental. I really am not a wordsmith, so they make a much better case than I.

Last edited by steveosnyder; Dec 2, 2013 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Added Link

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 4:55 PM

Would you be better off financially renting or buying a home?
The Globe and Mail

Every year, Frank Tristani assigns his McMaster University finance students the task of showing whether renting or buying a home makes you wealthier.

As Mr. Tristani scores the results, owning never wins. “Over six years, no one has been able to substantiate buying as creating more wealth over the long term,” he told me in an e-mail.

There will never be a definitive answer to the question of how owning a home compares to lifelong renting, but we can at least dismiss the old “renting is financial idiocy” view as Flat Earth thinking. An analysis supplied by Mr. Tristani suggests a renter with steely savings discipline could actually end up wealthier than a homeowner.

Backgound on Mr. Tristani
The 60-year-old spent more than 34 years in the banking sector, managing branches and working in the wealth management and commercial credit areas.

He teaches courses at McMaster on corporate finance for business and accounting students. This is a man who knows his way around a balance sheet and, yes, he owns a home himself.

Good read: His Analysis: Continued: >>
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle11952313/

Renting /Buyin personal Simple Choice:
Buy a Duplex if you can or 3 suites, rent it. Who cares where you live, in one of the suites or not. Let the renters pay your way. Invest the rest. Bank your job earnings invest them.Buy 2nd property/reno or 2nd multi unit rental property...(repeat)

Seems simple but it is, (work involved). Thiers not one person in a close circle of friends using this methology that is not well of today or debt free. It's just a sample of what's possible. Renting buying, your choice, making money your choice as well.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:32 PM
the first stamp is free

^ stop with these well thoughtout and researched responses!

Don't you know that renting is throwing your money away and everyone tops up their principal payments! I know cuz my dad said so!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:52 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Tristani suggests a renter with steely savings discipline could actually end up wealthier than a homeowner.
I think this is the key to the argument. If you are not a good saver then buying a home could be a better choice because it is a forced savings plan. If you are a good saver it is possible to be better off renting.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 5:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I think this is the key to the argument. If you are not a good saver then buying a home could be a better choice because it is a forced savings plan. If you are a good saver it is possible to be better off renting.
To be a successful renter, you almost have to go one step further and calculate the costs of homeowner every year and then implement a fixed monthly savings plan.

I would bet that only a tiny percentage (less than 1%) of renters save the difference and do better than homeowners in the long run. Like with many things, it might be better on paper but hard to execute.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 6:54 PM

Smiley Post Response:

Drew -

Steveo -

H0twired - 1% of renters would be a hard number to determine. Anyway that's why I have my accountant, financial adviser and broker, (adviser 2nd) on speed dial. You do need determination, expert advice and sound financial planning to accumulate wealth. whether you decide to rent or own, while striving to accumulate wealth,(if that's your goal)

Unrelated: I like the BMW M5 and Audi S8

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Don't you know that renting is throwing your money away and everyone tops up their principal payments! I know cuz my dad said so!
Hey it worked for me. I haven't made a mortgage payment in almost 7 years. And my first term was at 13.75%.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:14 PM

On a similarly unrelated topic, Cyro: aren't you the poster formerly known as Cyrodill? I always wondered if you'd derived that name from Cyrodiil (the Imperial Province in the Elder Scrolls games).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Hey it worked for me. I haven't made a mortgage payment in almost 7 years. And my first term was at 13.75%.
This is the thing that I strive for. Being mortgage free in my 40s.

What happens to all of the renters that live to well into their 90s and stop contributing income to their savings after 65?

I would rather have a place to live debt free than a bigger portfolio that is tossed around by shaky financial markets.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:42 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Exactly. It worked for YOU. I will take that as admitting you misrepresented facts when stating you know how everyone pays off their mortgage.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 7:59 PM

I don't have a mortgage. As a matter of fact, I'm still living in my parents' home (and paying them rent). But I'm saving lots of money and investing it elsewhere.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Cyro

mmorpg.com

shadowlocked.com

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Exactly. It worked for YOU. I will take that as admitting you misrepresented facts when stating you know how everyone pays off their mortgage.
I'll make a correction then: everyone from my era, that works.

You have to admit, stretching a mortgage out to 25 years as your income is steadily increasing...fill in the rest.

Given a similar house, renting provides the landlord with a profit that the homeowner gets to pocket. Renting is only good for short term accommodation IMO. But, if I was a landlord, I'd want everybody to rent!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 8:45 PM

Quote:
I'll make a correction then: everyone from my era, that works.

You have to admit, stretching a mortgage out to 25 years as your income is steadily increasing...fill in the rest.

Given a similar house, renting provides the landlord with a profit that the homeowner gets to pocket. Renting is only good for short term accommodation IMO. But, if I was a landlord, I'd want everybody to rent!
I think it all comes down to that (profit to the landlord) vs. not having to lock in a down payment. Which one wins out is likely different on a case by case basis.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I missed this post, not on much this last week, if this is the case well done.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 8:30 PM

I have two properties:

One is a SFR that I purchased 15 years ago for $40K and has been rented for an average of $8000 a year, taxes are $1200 a year average, insurance $400 average, repairs $500 yearly average. Over 15 years I collected $120K for rent and spent $31500 for expenses. Today's value is $220K.

The other is a commercial property that I bought 30 years ago for $40K and I receive no rent, taxes are $1600 a year average, Insurance is $1000 average, repairs are $0. Expenses are $78000. Today's value is $280K.

If I was to sell both properties today I would pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on 50% of the CG at the rate of 37% less expenses which would be Approx. $100K. Gross profit would be $400K.

The question is this:

If you were me, would you tear both properties down, write off 50% of the building face value and spend $750K on re-construction of two new commercial units leasing out for $62K yearly plus an owners apartment above receiving 0 rent.

Or, would you pocket the $400K and head South?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
I have two properties:

One is a SFR that I purchased 15 years ago for $40K and has been rented for an average of $8000 a year, taxes are $1200 a year average, insurance $400 average, repairs $500 yearly average. Over 15 years I collected $120K for rent and spent $31500 for expenses. Today's value is $220K.

The other is a commercial property that I bought 30 years ago for $40K and I receive no rent, taxes are $1600 a year average, Insurance is $1000 average, repairs are $0. Expenses are $78000. Today's value is $280K.

If I was to sell both properties today I would pay Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on 50% of the CG at the rate of 37% less expenses which would be Approx. $100K. Gross profit would be $400K.

The question is this:

If you were me, would you tear both properties down, write off 50% of the building face value and spend $750K on re-construction of two new commercial units leasing out for $62K yearly plus an owners apartment above receiving 0 rent.

Or, would you pocket the $400K and head South?
Head south!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan