HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 4:50 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Manitoba is a "prairie" province because that's where the vast majority of people live and spend time within it. Much like Saskatchewan, and southern Alberta. Besides, most of the good lake country in Manitoba is actually Ontario

That video is awesome - hands down my favourite drive in the country, with a close second being the drive from Winnipeg to Dryden (or even T. Bay). It's very cool to see such a radical change of scenery in just an hour or two of driving.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 5:38 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

I would say that of the cities, Winnipeg probably has the most accessible and affordable (pretentious mountains need not apply...) wilds within easy driving distance. Its a great place for people who like wilderness canoeing, camping, etc.
Actually, Calgary has the same access and affordablitly to wilderness type areas. Fish Creek park is right in the city and camping and canoeing in Bragg Creek is only half an hour from the city. Those places are provincial parks and are free. Ghost lake is less than an hour away. Dinosoaur provincial park is about an hour and a half.
Calgary has access to more diverse geographies and outdoor areas. We're also closer to BC lakes which are by far the best in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 5:40 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendecido View Post
I can't believe that you would catagorize Lake Louise, Banff and Kananaskis as things that Edmonton has in their back yard. Even Jasper for that matter.
They aren't necessarliy near Edmonton, but are far closer to Edmonton than Sask and Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 5:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Manitoba is a "prairie" province because that's where the vast majority of people live and spend time within it. Much like Saskatchewan, and southern Alberta. Besides, most of the good lake country in Manitoba is actually Ontario
lmfao...............

drive up highway 6 dude...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:57 AM

IMO the best outdoors place on the prairies is Calgary. Mainly because it offers top-notch year-round recreation.
The Rockies are a year round recreational area, with some of the best skiing in the world during the winter, and great hiking, canoing, camping, cycling, golfing...you name it etc.. in the summer.

To the north you've got your standard lakes, to the east and southeast, the badlands, to the west past, Banff and Lake Louise, you've got Fairmont, Invermere etc... These places aren't on the prairies but they're only 2 1/2 hours from Calgary. The Shuswap lake system, which is imo, the nicest lake system in Canada is 5-6 hours west of Calgary.
Bragg Creek and Kananaskis country are half hour to an hour away depending on where you're going.

Two of the places I've mentioned (Rocky Mountains, and the Badlands) are places that people from around the world come to visit.

Here are some pictures of Bragg Creek. The reason I've posted these is because Bragg Creek is half an hour from Calgary. 15 minutes if you live on the west side of the city.

Elbow Falls is about a half hour from the city limits.

Last edited by Habanero; Jan 1, 2007 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 7:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

been down that highway.
also been to elbow falls

you can get simlar shots here in manitoba like the one from brag creek...

reminds me of the Thompson area

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 7:54 AM
A long time gone

HAPPY NEW YEAR PEOPLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

this is WAY so false... have you ever been to Manitoba? Manitoba has everything Ontario has, and then some. Manitoba is said to be the most diverse province of Canada, having ecosystems from desert to artic.

Also, Manitoba IS NOT a prairie province... the prairie ecosystem is so small percentage, not much more then 10%... most cropland is Aspen forest ecosystem. Manitoba is also home to the most significative native archaelogical sites and culture in Canada. People, educate yourself

Why "southern" Alberta? Alberta is a true prairie province, actually, and it's got the higher percentage of cropland.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

not a vs forum thread

alberta in the south is basicaly desert......

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:55 AM
Round Head

All three provinces that have prairies have some outstanding natural scenery and recreation areas. There was a great thread about Saskatchewan with photos of some of the more beautiful places in the province a little while ago.

I think all of the cities in Canada are blessed with some pretty spectacular natural areas nearby.

I don't understand why people get so obsessed about saying their province isn't just a prairie province. I think the prairies are beautiful too.

Being from Calgary, with having the rockies so close it has become such an integral part of my life. I never really fully appreciated until I lived in southern ontario. Now I could hardly live without them. I'm writing this from our family's cabin on lake windermere. It is an amazing place. I think everyone begins to treasure the places that surround their home, because they become engrained in your lifestyle.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i prefer my cabin on my privit lake with my privit stash of fish

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
Why "southern" Alberta? Alberta is a true prairie province, actually, and it's got the higher percentage of cropland.

Though I understand why you are trying to dismiss MB as "not a prairie province" because of its diverse landscapes (and coastline up north), it is considered such because it still has a good chunk of land as part of the Great Plains landform. Sask and AB do have more land as part of this, but the Great Plains stretch quite far, south to Texas (which actually has the largest percentage of the Great Plains)..."Prairie" is far more than just "cropland" however. The diversity within what is defined as the Great Plains is also often overlooked.

For Southern AB, Google "Writing-on-stone", you'll see the landscapes down in southern AB. This is quite arid for Canada (near-desert in the traditional definition of desert being less than 300mm of rain/year...or as close as it gets in southern Canada), and very difficult to farm...though, still part of the larger Great Plains ecology. Yet, not typically associated to "Prairies", you'll find rattlesnakes, northern scorpions, western black widows, and the larger variation of Opuntia (Prickly Pear Cactus).

On another note, Two other favourite areas around Winnipeg (to me) would be Oak Hammock and Hecla.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 7:59 PM
Build'em high!

I quite like the prairie/desert parts of Alberta. One of my favorite day trips is to the badlands. The Rockies are obvious for an outstanding outdoors area, and I do truly enjoy them, but areas like the badlands and writing-on-stone often get overlooked.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:00 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR PEOPLE!

Manitoba has everything Ontario has, and then some. Manitoba is said to be the most diverse province of Canada, having ecosystems from desert to artic.
So in other words the same as the other prairie provinces.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:08 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I'm a new resident of the Prairies...and yes I consider Manitoba to be prairie.
It is a Prairie province, and I have never heard a soul think otherwise. It is absolutely, postitively a Prairie province. Within the city limits of Winnipeg, there is actually a piece of original prairie left.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller Better View Post
It is a Prairie province, and I have never heard a soul think otherwise. It is absolutely, postitively a Prairie province. Within the city limits of Winnipeg, there is actually a piece of original prairie left.

ya at th end of my street.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:24 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller Better View Post
It is a Prairie province, and I have never heard a soul think otherwise.
Well obviously now you have.

I really don't care if most people are ignorant enough to believe Manitoba is a flat featureless pastureland. It just means I will be able to enjoy the fantastic wilds of this province in more peace.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

I really don't care if most people are ignorant enough to believe Manitoba is a flat featureless pastureland. It just means I will be able to enjoy the fantastic wilds of this province in more peace.
sweetnes privt lakes for all

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:44 PM

Last edited by ReginaGuy; Jan 1, 2007 at 10:56 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:46 PM

Quote:

Since when did being flat and featureless have anything to do with being a prairie province? Do you think Alberta and Saskatchewan are flat and featureless?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 10:11 PM
Architecture enthusiast

Quote:

I lived there for 28 years, you fool.
It is not a judgement on the beauty of the province, it is a fact.
Believe what you wish, drew.

[QUOTE=ReginaGuy;2540874]Since when did being flat and featureless have anything to do with being a prairie province? Do you think Alberta and Saskatchewan are flat and featureless?[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, ReginaGuy. Since when did Prairie become a perjorative term? How bizarre....

Last edited by Taller Better; Jan 1, 2007 at 10:39 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan