HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 2:10 AM

San Antonio Scorpions 2012. New Pro Soccer Team(stadium plans)

2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Jan 11, 2011 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 11:57 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

A lot more impressive than I thought it was going to be. It actually looks like a big arena until you see the people in perspective. lol

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 12:58 PM

Quote from http://www.nasl.com/article/san-anto...ion-team-named

Quote:
Hartman also outlined plans to construct a 5,400-seat facility at STAR Soccer next to Morgan’s Wonderland in Northeast San Antonio that will serve as home of the Scorpions. The facility can easily be expanded to 18,000 seats and accommodate a move up to Major League Soccer (MLS), he noted.
Hartman acknowledged the existence of another group that’s talked of forming their own pro soccer team. “We’re well on our way toward bringing in the highest level of professional soccer currently available to San Antonio, just one step removed from MLS,” he said. “The other group’s announced plans call for a team in a lower, third-tier league. We believe our approach makes much more sense for our community as a whole and certainly for those with special needs in our midst.”
Unless there is an explosion of fan support in the upcoming years (enough to support 2 teams,) the last thing we need are competing ownership groups.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 1:12 PM
Paradise

It looks really nice, but I guess this means that they can't have a stadium downtown?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
NASL is a break off of USL. This is going to be their 1st season. Teams will be located in Atlanta, St. Louis, Baltimore, and Miami to name a few. There will also be teams in Canada and Puerto Rico.

I'm open to the idea. It has potential to bring in some money and much needed sports coverage to San Antonio. I think Hartman is a good guy we need to put some faith into his idea.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 12:46 AM

Is this the same as the faith I had that developers would get dirt moving on new construction in/near DT, and you said it (faith or hope) wouldn't get things built?
If it is, then this might have a shot.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 4:11 PM
Let's Eat!

Nice to have another sport in SA. But, is the fan base gonna really be there? They will have to fight for support on Spurs games, and not to mention, UTSA football on Saturdays.

One question thought. What happend with playing in Alamo Stadium??

Old Posted Jan 12, 2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari82 View Post
Nice to have another sport in SA. But, is the fan base gonna really be there? They will have to fight for support on Spurs games, and not to mention, UTSA football on Saturdays.

One question thought. What happend with playing in Alamo Stadium??
NASL schedule runs from March to October. UTSA, I'm sure, will not be hurt by a minor league soccer team.

This soccer team is owned by Gordon Hartman of Morgan's Wonderland.

Spurs Sports & Entertainment is the one that is pursuing USL and MLS at Alamo Stadium.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Is this the same as the faith I had that developers would get dirt moving on new construction in/near DT, and you said it (faith or hope) wouldn't get things built?
If it is, then this might have a shot.
It's similar. The notable difference would be that Hartman is a millionaire and has funding for his vision.

I'm not requesting that you divulge your finances, but I doubt you personally have any developments in the pipeline. Ed Cross is great, but we are going to need much more money to make your pie-in-the-sky vision a reality.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
It's similar. The notable difference would be that Hartman is a millionaire and has funding for his vision.

I'm not requesting that you divulge your finances, but I doubt you personally have any developments in the pipeline. Ed Cross is great, but we are going to need much more money to make your pie-in-the-sky vision a reality.
So lets see if i've got this right... your faith is free, and mine requires that I be a millionaire?
I know you're trying to prove some kind of point, but the truth is that there is no difference.

In case you haven't been DT in a while or cared to read about it (or maybe your pessimistic attitude makes you blind to the facts,) theres alot more going on construction-wise than 1221 right now. Between the millions that NRP Group, Silver Ventures, Ashkenazy Development Corp. (Rivercenter Mall,) Federal Realty, local hospitals, the local and Federal Governments are spending or planning to spend in the next few years, it easily is going to have more money invested in it than any other part of the city is and will provide much more to the functionality and growth of the city than any minor league team in a suburban stadium can. Besides, Hartman wants public funding, and in case you haven't read the thread for Alamo Stadium/Spurs, the city is not 100% behind him.
And I have faith that the current developments will spur enough momentum to have a few more developments for DT (my pie-in-the-sky.)
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Jan 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:34 PM

I like the scorpions as a team name. Their flourescent nature opens some cool marketing possibilities.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:34 PM

I was listening to the radio the other day and this guy Scully of the San Antonio sports commission or event commission (can't remember) was being interviewed. The main topic was the feasability study that has been commisioned to look into pro sports in San Antonio.

He got into the topic of the competing soccer bids and stated that the City and County are working together and that they want the best possible ownership group for San Antonio. He also stated that two competing groups would not be good for the area and would not be desired.

He made it sound like there would not be any major decisions to move forward by the city or county until the study is complete.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 9:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

Plus, they could get the Scorpions to play "Rock You Like A Hurricane" at their inaugural game.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio