HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

606W57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 8:36 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Much better cladding, but I'm still not a fan of the massing, and never will be.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 12:48 PM
New Yorker for life

I think the "pyramid" will be more of a focal point...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 9:33 PM
BANNED

What ever happened here? I thought the Bloomberg Admin. approved this building sometime in December (late 2013).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
What ever happened here? I thought the Bloomberg Admin. approved this building sometime in December (late 2013).
Yeah, it's approved. Buildings don't just appear in a few months.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 3:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, it's approved. Buildings don't just appear in a few months.
Gotcha - thanks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:29 PM

I love the stacked-blocks look. Not too big of a fan of the light-colored strips running vertical AND horizontal (another example of this is the new Riverside).

A positive addition overall, especially considering the location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Mar 18, 2014, 1:23 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

I'm noticing a pattern

Crain's New York:

Huge West 57th St. apt. building wins approval
City Planning Commission gives thumbs up to 1,189-unit project near the Hudson River on West 57th Street. Unanimous vote follows pattern set earlier this month with the green lighting of the huge Domino Sugar-site redevelopment in Williamsburg.

BY JOE ANUTA
MARCH 17, 2014 3:18 P.M.

Quote:
The City Planning Commission gave the go-ahead Monday afternoon for developer TF Cornerstone’s massive residential project at 606 West 57th St. The commission did so by unanimously approving a rezoning of the site to allow a larger building to be contructed. In doing so the commission followed the precedent it set earlier this month with its approval of the Domino Sugar refinery project on the Williamsburg, Brooklyn, waterfront. In both cases the yes vote was tied to the developer’s commitment to maximize affordable housing.

“This rezoning, if enacted, substantially increases the value of this development site, and as I have said before, we want to ensure that the public can share in the increased value through the provision of affordable housing,” Planning Commission Chair Carl Weisbrod said before voting in favor of the development, which now moves to the City Council.

The 1.9-acre complex is slated to contain 1,189 units, of which 237 would be permanently affordable. The project will also include 42,000 square feet of commercial or community facility space. To allow the project to go forward TF Cornerstone is seeking city approval on a number of zoning changes on the four parcels that make up the plot.

During the public review process, former Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer, now city comptroller, lauded the project’s contribution to the revitalization of the West Side. But he took issue with TF Cornerstone’s request to exempt some commercial or community-facility square footage that might be built from the total, a move that would lessen the number of affordable units required.

Similar applications have been granted in the past, but Monday’s decision—along with a similar conclusion reached with Two Trees Management Co.’s application for its 2.9 million Domino Sugar Project earlier this month—signals a wider shift in policy, where such exemptions for commercial space will no longer be allowed for large residential projects.

“Where the predominant portion of the development is housing, for the most part, we are going to be looking at the entire development,” Mr. Weisbrod told Crain’s following the approval of the Domino Sugar refinery project. On the other hand ground-floor, non-residential space is always exempted from calculations of how much inclusionary housing is required in city programs that grant the right to build bigger projects in return for their including more affordable units.

The proposal now heads to the City Council. City Councilwoman Helen Rosenthal, D-Manhattan, is the local representative who will likely lead any further negotiations with TF Cornerstone.

“Following today’s vote, we look forward to working with the members of the City Council to build market rate and affordable housing units—along with commercial space—in one of the most up-and-coming areas of Manhattan,” a spokesperson for the developer said.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 1:25 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...st-57th-street

Neighbors Oppose 1,200-Unit Building on West 57th Street

By Mathew Katz
April 14, 2014

Quote:
Fed up with what they see as the overdevelopment of their neighborhood, a group of West Side residents has banded together in a last-ditch effort to oppose developer TF Cornerstone's new residential building at 606 W. 57th St.

Some neighbors say that the area's schools, hospitals and public transportation can't handle the influx of new residents the massive building would bring. The project, which requires City Council approval for rezoning, would bring 1,189 units to the neighborhood, 237 of which would be permanently affordable.

"Fifty-Seventh Street is under siege," said Jessica Bondy, who lives nearby and has been lobbying City Council members to fight or shrink the development. "All of us are concerned about the unsustainability of projects this size. It's a giant, giant project."

Bondy joined with neighbors to create a coalition called Citizens for Responsible Organized West Side Development With Environmental Deference — or CROWDED for short. Roughly 150 people participated in a community-organized forum on overdevelopment and the TF Cornerstone project last week, with participation by City Councilman Corey Johnson and City Councilwoman Helen Rosenthal, organizers said.

The proposed 999,636-square-foot building is made up of four distinct elements, including two 28-story towers on the eastern half, connected by a glass bridge, and a 14-story cube on top. On the western portion of the site, a tower will rise to 17 stories.

The building would have as many as 106,900 square feet of public parking and 42,000 square feet of retail space or community facilities.

West 57th Street is currently awash in new development, including the Durst Organization's 709-unit building across the street from the proposed TF Cornerstone building.

The opposition to the building comes relatively late in the rezoning process — TF Cornerstone's application has already been given the thumbs-up by Community Board 4, the Manhattan Borough President's Office and the City Planning Commission. It will go before the City Council on April 23.

"TF Cornerstone has worked for close to two years with City Planning, Department of Environmental Protection, the Department of Transportation and other City agencies to analyze every possible impact this development or any other development on the site might have on the community," a spokesman for the developer said in a statement.

"Every level of the public review process has supported the project thus far, with the participants finding that the development will invigorate a new up and coming neighborhood without any major unmitigated impacts to the current environment. TF Cornerstone is particularly proud to be making such a significant contribution toward the Mayor's goal for more affordable housing."

A spokeswoman for Rosenthal, the city councilwoman whose district the building falls into, said she had not yet decided how she will vote on the matter, but is considering a "variety of options."

When it overwhelmingly recommended approval for the project in December, CB4 praised the building's permanently affordable housing but noted that schools in the neighborhood are already over capacity and the area would need to adequately prepare for an influx of new residents.

"I'd love to see affordable housing being built. I'm not against affordable housing, but I think quality of life is what we're concerned about," said Susan Lahn, a longtime resident of West 58th Street, who hopes the city can provide shuttle buses for the masses of people who will need to get to the subway at Columbus Circle if the development moves forward.

"I don't think we're going to stop TF Cornerstone, but maybe we can get a reduction in size," Lahn said.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 3:09 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Need more school capacity? Work out a deal with one of the developers to build another school in exchange for more airrights, just like the Beekman tower or the upcoming 250e57. Its not a good excuse.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:00 PM
BANNED

I bet most of them don't even have children of their own (the resident anyway). They're "worried" about something they don't need.

And transportation? The M11/57 Bus has enough seats/standing room during the evening rush hour. (Who takes buses in the city anyway?) And the subways in 8th/7th can handle those new people.

Also, I'm 100% certain that this building will provide a shuttle bus service to the subway stations, just like the other buildings on the 42nd Street and the building across the street.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:10 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Speaking of the subway, it would have helped immensely if the 10th ave infill stop on the 7 hadn't been indefinitely delayed.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Speaking of the subway, it would have helped immensely if the 10th ave infill stop on the 7 hadn't been indefinitely delayed.
A new subway station is always welcome, but that station wouldn't have helped matters here. Other, existing stations are closer.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:07 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Oops, what made me think this was around 42nd, when 57th is in the thread title. Oh well.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:16 PM
BANNED

It makes sense for buildings between 11-12 Ave.

The Silver Towers/Atelier on the far west side and the Helena (next door) provide shuttle bus services. This building will also do the same. (guessing)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:46 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Now approved by City Council:

DNAinfo New York:

57th Street Tower Moves Forward After Developer Adds School

By Mathew Katz
April 25, 2014 10:11am

TF Cornerstone

Quote:
HELL'S KITCHEN — A new tower on West 57th Street moved closer to reality this week after the developer won approval from a City Council committee in return for making several concessions to the community.

The City Council's Land Use Committee approved the 1,189-unit rental development at 606 W. 57th St. after TF Cornerstone agreed to put a public pre-K program in the building, construct a smaller parking garage and use union workers, officials confirmed.

In addition, 237 of the building's units will be permanently affordable, and affordable tenants will have equal access to all amenities, TF Cornerstone previously agreed.

The development, which has already received approval from the local community board and City Planning Commission, recently came under last-minute fire from neighbors who said the already-overcrowded neighborhood's schools, hospitals and public transportation couldn't handle the huge influx of new residents.

In a statement, Councilwoman Helen Rosenthal, who represents the area, said she understood the concerns.

“I hear the project’s detractors loud and clear: I understand why the residents who live along West 57th street do not like this development," Rosenthal said. "It takes away their light and air, 57th Street is overrun with overdevelopment and there are common sense questions about the wisdom of building so close to the water’s edge, in light of the impact of Superstorm Sandy and climate change."

TF Cornerstone requires a zoning change to build the 28-story development, which needs city approval. The proposal will now go before the City Council as a whole.

“We are pleased that the zoning subcommittee voted favorably on our plans for 606 West 57th Street and are grateful to Councilmember Rosenthal for ensuring the community’s voice is heard throughout this process," a TF Cornerstone representative said in a statement.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 8:52 PM
dazzle me

how much smaller will the parking garage be, i wonder. it was over 100,000 sqf before, very large.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:29 AM
BANNED

Good to see this moving forward. The vile neighbors won't complain anymore with the addition of a school.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 1:46 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

A decent amount of affordable housing is a plus as well.

Old Posted May 27, 2014, 4:54 AM

Far from site prep, multiple buildings (Lexus dealer included) need to be demolished first.

Last edited by ILNY; May 27, 2014 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 6:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NEW YORK | 610 W. 57th St. | 440 FT | 42 FLOORS

=========================
New Permit:

Quote:

Pre-Filed: 07/21/2014 Building Type: Other Estimated Total Cost: $0.00
Date Filed: 07/23/2014 Electronically Filed: Yes
Fee Structure: STANDARD
Review is requested under Building Code: 2008 Hub Job ‡: Yes

[...]

13 Building Characteristics

Primary structural system: Masonry Concrete (CIP) Concrete (Precast) Wood
Steel (Structural) Steel (Cold-Formed) Steel (Encased in Concrete)

Proposed
Structural Occupancy Category: I - LOW HAZARD TO HUMAN LIFE
Seismic Design Category: CATEGORY B
2008 Code Designations?
Occupancy Classification: R-2 - RESIDENTIAL: APARTMENT HOUSES Yes No
Construction Classification: I-B: 2 HOUR PROTECTED - NON-COMBUST Yes No
Multiple Dwelling Classification: HAEA
Building Height (ft.): 440
Building Stories: 42
Dwelling Units: 1028
==============================
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive