HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 4:13 PM

^ So if someone drives in from Stonewall do you think they use less or more than 80L per week?, I was just suggesting what the average two person household might use, and that is including use of a vehicle for other transportation needs besides getting to and from work. I don't think I'm far off the mark, perhaps even under estimating. What if you worked in Oak Bluff or St. Norbert? Would you bus it? Well, not if you worked in Oak Bluff, because there is no bus service.

Even with the implementation of the carbon tax, heating by electricity is FAR more expensive at present rates for the typical home, about $500 more per heating season according to Manitoba Hydro. While hydro is not subject to the carbon tax, I think we can be certain that the price for hydro will rise at a rate considerably higher than inflation in coming years, as will items like the basic charge on your bill.

Use foam insulation to wrap your hot water piping to prevent heat loss.

Don't go the lake at all in the summer and just stay home and walk to a nearby park for recreation, you will reduce your carbon footprint. Or cycle to Bird's Hill Park. Going to the lake or the beach is too much to expect isn't it? How many people in India, or even in Europe for that matter, drive 200-300 km round trip to spend a weekend at the lake? It's pretty selfish. In the alternative, take the train, VIA has service to Brereton Lake departing Union Station at 10:30 p.m. on Sundays and Thursdays arriving at midnight. Just walk when you arrive. Also, take only cold showers and use only cold water for laundry and washing dishes, and reduce the number of showers you take and the number of changes of clothing. Just shower once a week and wear the same clothing for a week as well. In the summer months shower in thunderstorms. Rain water is excellent for your hair. Wear an undershirt to keep your shirt clean. Deodorant is not permitted, it is not made in Manitoba and has to be trucked in. Make your own from local products. On other days, just have a quick sponge bath using a litre of cold water in the bathroom sink. That was common practice in the early 20th century. People bathed even less frequently until well into the 19th century. People aren't supposed to smell like chemicals anyways.

Also, buy only local products to reduce your contribution to Canada's overall carbon emissions. There are plenty of food items available to ensure a healthy diet, for example during the winter months you can survive on potatoes, onions, turnips, beets, lentils and eggs, as well as various dairy and meat products. That's exactly what people did in the Red River Colony days, so it should not be difficult. No restaurant meals unless the entire menu is locally sourced.

By the way, is it legal now to keep chickens in the yard? I heard a change to the by-laws was being considered at one point. A goat is a good investment too, a natural lawn mower.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan