HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:09 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I know, but its still not *direct* service. It also doesnt help the disabled if they have to struggle for 3 blocks, or through the skywalk system, to get to the Convention Centre, either! You also gotta realize though, theres almost no active entrances facing St. Marys, so people always go up to the one on York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
That's what Handi-Transit is for.

Beat your drum somewhere else.
While I am a huge proponent of Transit, I somewhat agree with Simplicity, but not for the same reasons.

I rag on car commuters because they demand (as near to) instantanous and easy access from their homes to their place of work/the places they are going at any cost. Asking this of transit without regard to costs is essentially the same thing.

Is it economically feasable to have buses drive down every street in downtown?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Wow. What rock have you been living under? Plenty of people with mobility issues ride regular transit. Many buses have ramps and folding seats to accommodate wheelchairs. How is it beating the drum to have questions about how transit serves the CC? I think you need to put your own drum away.
What difference does it make that plenty of people with mobility issues ride transit? That's fantastic!

Does it mean that absolutely every place of public assembly in this city needs to have door to door transit service?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:28 PM

Quote:
What difference does it make that plenty of people with mobility issues ride transit? That's fantastic!

Does it mean that absolutely every place of public assembly in this city needs to have door to door transit service?
Frankly, I don't know how well served the convention centre is currently by conventional transit. But don't assume the question is somehow irrelevant because some disabled people use handy transit. Why shouldn't major places of public assembly be well served by transit? If the point is to expand the CC so it can host larger events, there is certainly a case to improve transit service.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Frankly, I don't know how well served the convention centre is currently by conventional transit. But don't assume the question is somehow irrelevant because some disabled people use handy transit. Why shouldn't major places of public assembly be well served by transit? If the point is to expand the CC so it can host larger events, there is certainly a case to improve transit service.
I don't understand. On the one hand, everybody is always talking about a city bereft of resources. On the other, nothing is ever good enough. Handi Transit exists for this sort of transportation because it just simply isn't practical for transit to be serving that population.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:27 PM

Quote:
I don't understand. On the one hand, everybody is always talking about a city bereft of resources. On the other, nothing is ever good enough. Handi Transit exists for this sort of transportation because it just simply isn't practical for transit to be serving that population.
It's true, you don't understand. Handi Transit serves a narrow population of the disabled, and there are specific eligibility requirements. Most folks who just have trouble getting around don't qualify and must make other arrangements. Many take regular transit. What is the issue with examining transit service to a major public venue? Maybe improvements are needed, maybe not.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
It's true, you don't understand. Handi Transit serves a narrow population of the disabled, and there are specific eligibility requirements. Most folks who just have trouble getting around don't qualify and must make other arrangements. Many take regular transit. What is the issue with examining transit service to a major public venue? Maybe improvements are needed, maybe not.
Because of scope creep. One exception begets ten others. The hard and fast refusal to turn transit into a quasi-disabled transit system beyond what accommodations they already make is so they aren't forced to respond to requests for service that ultimately put them in a position to be accused of subjectively identifying needs.

Otherwise, the case could be made for hundreds of other places...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 12:32 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
That's what Handi-Transit is for.

Beat your drum somewhere else.
I had no idea Handi-Transit was used for regular transit service, to bring non-disabled people to the Convention Centre when we have full-sized diesel buses. Could you enlighten me on this new service?

BTW, that was blatant sarcasm.

Quote:
Yes theres service on Graham and Broadway, even Route 43 into the Broadway area. But nowhere near the levels ANYWHERE within two blocks of the convention centre, and now that I think of it, the Law Courts too. In the summer, it's annoying but do-able to walk from Portage/Graham/the Legislature to get to the Centre. In the winter, Portage and Graham have skywalks yes, but theres none on Broadway, and it's hell enough to be disabled on a Winnipeg street in the winter, knowing how shitty our sidewalk cleaners are... and perfectly healthy people have the same issue. Ever notice the jampacked sidewalks during events? Don't you think it'd be a good idea, "Simplicity" (which is becoming ironic), to have transit service to not only provide the service to the Convention Centre and Law Courts, but to increase pedestrian safety and to ease congestion, along with being able to promote transit to all of those conventions? Even Indianapolis's transit system is pure crap, but at least they can show that its there to possible investors. If there's no service or buses in sight, investors looking at Winnipeg wont even bother if they cant see any service to their own venue, and then assume that their project will get the same treatment. Again, transit should be improved to this new Convention Centre, and to the law courts, for ridership, safety and promotional reasons both to the suburbanites attending, and the super-rich holding these conventions in our city.

Quote:
Considering York Avenue will be sheltered by a massive new Convention Centre, we dont even need bus shelters! All we need, is a nice blue sign, with a bus route or two serving it (Downtown Spirit, Route 10 re-route, maybe even a new route entirely) and maybe a nice row of benches. Thats ALL we need! I hope Winnipeg Transit reads SSP. I'm giving them ideas that their route designers probably haven't even looked at yet. Or if they have looked at them, they can't act on them because Katz and Scott Fielding apparently don't realize the benefits of public transportation to their own city, or to the private sector which they are so desperate to attract.

[/rant]

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:43 PM
Heart of the Continent

I followed a bus to the law courts the other day, going east on York, and there's a bus stop at the front door so....

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I had no idea Handi-Transit was used for regular transit service, to bring non-disabled people to the Convention Centre when we have full-sized diesel buses. Could you enlighten me on this new service?

BTW, that was blatant sarcasm.

Yes theres service on Graham and Broadway, even Route 43 into the Broadway area. But nowhere near the levels ANYWHERE within two blocks of the convention centre, and now that I think of it, the Law Courts too. In the summer, it's annoying but do-able to walk from Portage/Graham/the Legislature to get to the Centre. In the winter, Portage and Graham have skywalks yes, but theres none on Broadway, and it's hell enough to be disabled on a Winnipeg street in the winter, knowing how shitty our sidewalk cleaners are... and perfectly healthy people have the same issue. Ever notice the jampacked sidewalks during events? Don't you think it'd be a good idea, "Simplicity" (which is becoming ironic), to have transit service to not only provide the service to the Convention Centre and Law Courts, but to increase pedestrian safety and to ease congestion, along with being able to promote transit to all of those conventions? Even Indianapolis's transit system is pure crap, but at least they can show that its there to possible investors. If there's no service or buses in sight, investors looking at Winnipeg wont even bother if they cant see any service to their own venue, and then assume that their project will get the same treatment. Again, transit should be improved to this new Convention Centre, and to the law courts, for ridership, safety and promotional reasons both to the suburbanites attending, and the super-rich holding these conventions in our city.

Considering York Avenue will be sheltered by a massive new Convention Centre, we dont even need bus shelters! All we need, is a nice blue sign, with a bus route or two serving it (Downtown Spirit, Route 10 re-route, maybe even a new route entirely) and maybe a nice row of benches. Thats ALL we need! I hope Winnipeg Transit reads SSP. I'm giving them ideas that their route designers probably haven't even looked at yet. Or if they have looked at them, they can't act on them because Katz and Scott Fielding apparently don't realize the benefits of public transportation to their own city, or to the private sector which they are so desperate to attract.

[/rant]
All of that nonsense notwithstanding, there's a bus stop a block away at the corner of Kennedy and York. What the hell are you talking about?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:10 PM

Could the mods please keep this on topic?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
Could the mods please keep this on topic?
You'll get your wrist slapped for saying that transit service to the convention centre isn't directly related to the CONSTRUCTION of the new building. I thought there was a transit thread on SSP?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:25 PM

From the Convention Centre site. Looks like the blue light screen thingy is missing above the street from previous renders:

http://www.wcc.mb.ca/wp-content/uplo...4-1024x392.jpg

Saw them pulling off panels on St. Mary side earlier today and coincidentally they posted a photo on Twitter. Skywalk?:

https://twitter.com/RBCConvCtreWpg/s...249472/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityfan View Post
From the Convention Centre site. Looks like the blue light screen thingy is missing above the street from previous renders:

http://www.wcc.mb.ca/

Saw them pulling off panels on St. Mary side earlier today and coincidentally they posted a photo on Twitter. Skywalk?:

https://twitter.com/RBCConvCtreWpg/s...249472/photo/1
Just added [img] tags to the photos you provided and the source code for the 2nd pic so no click is necessary.

Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:14 PM

Imrie Demolition has chain link fence setup around the perimeter of the Carleton Inn.. Hopefully this means the demolition work starts sooner than later.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1983 View Post
Imrie Demolition has chain link fence setup around the perimeter of the Carleton Inn.. Hopefully this means the demolition work starts sooner than later.
asbestos removal thats all there doing was mentioned not to long ago and removing a pool

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 9:34 PM

Sorry I missed this update when I logged in.

The Cranes Have Landed
April.2014

Excerpts/Photo from: http://www.wcc.mb.ca/cranes-landed/

Cranes have taken over the construction site and have been hard at work lifting and positioning steel beams and trusses. By the end of April, 40% of the third floor exhibition hall roof trusses will be in place.

The underground parkade is being prepped for concrete and plumbing work that will start this month.

If you look at the south façade on the existing facility on York, you will notice the ongoing demolition and steel frame of the new skywalk. This skywalk will extend across York and attach to the new building to the south.

If you look at the north and northeast side of the building along St. Mary Avenue, you’ll notice preparations have started for the installation of new external signage which should be shining bright by the end of the month.

The construction project is on target to have a substantial completion by the end of 2015 and on target to open first quarter of 2016.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 12:41 AM

CTV News reports actual demolition of the Carlton Inn will begin on Sunday, but there's still nothing to replace it.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruler462 View Post
CTV News reports actual demolition of the Carlton Inn will begin on Sunday, but there's still nothing to replace it.
Surface parking lot...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 3:36 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 7:32 PM

the corner section under the orange tarp - what part of the convention centre will that be once completed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan