HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Shreepati Skies in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Mumbai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 8:08 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
MUMBAI | Shreepati Skies | 301 M | 81 FLOORS

Shreepati Skies, Mumbai, India

Since I'm lazy, I'll just pist the descriptoin from World Architecture News. The information is accurate, save for the fact that since this tower was announced last year, the mantle of 'Mumbai's tallest' has passed over a dozen times and by a couple orders of magnitude.

Quote:
Set to be the tallest building in Mumbai standing 301 meters or 1000 ft tall, Shreepati Skies or the dancing lady shaped building promises to be unlike any other structure in the India’s or Asia’s Skyline. The master mind behind this structure is no stranger to tall buildings - renowned Architect Reza Kabul has to his credit the tallest completed building of India (Shreepati Arcade listed in the Limca book of Records 2003).

In a novel move, the architect has incorporated the image of a dancing native lady with a water pot symbolised within the design.

The chief construction materials are reinforced cement concrete, glass, steel and aluminum, thus giving the building a smooth and sleek finish. Covering a plot area of approximately 2 acres, the design of Shreepati Skies gives the perception of a dancing lady mounted on a platform comprising of 7 parking floors housing 300 cars. The tower has an estimated 81 floors.

Among its many engineering achievements, this building also has a base to height ratio approaching one to ten, making it the most slender skyscraper. It has the longest constructed continual elevator lift by 1000 feet with 10 nos of Elevators at an approximate sped of 5 mts /sec.

Shreepati Skies promises its residents 126 state of the art apartments, each ndividually designed by Reza Kabul himself with apartment sizes ranging from 2 Bedroom, to 3 and 4beds, duplex and penthouses offering unique floor plans and breath taking view of the ocean, many with individual paddle pools. An additional private theatre, therapeutic spa, a state of the art gym, a swimming pool and a helipad on the top are also incorporated.

In order to meet with standard of Sustainability and an Environmental friendly design the design will include recycling of rain water and management of waste water storage and its recycling process amongst others. Construction of the tower shall take approximately 5 years.
Some more renderings of the tower:

And for posterity's sake, a rendering of the initial design:

More info in second post...

-Jai

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 8:13 PM
ॐ शान्तिः

Status of the project according to the developer's website:

Approval Status: I.O.D obtained
Project Status: Commencing Shortly
Rehabilitation Status: Commencing Shortly

They also have a ncie video walkthrouhg of the project

Also, here's an oldish article, from Hindustan Times 03 Sept, 2009:

Needless to say, since then Mumbai's real estate sector has rebounded back in a big way,

Cheers,
Jai

--=- | Check out The Indian Skyscraper Blog - Chronicling the vertical risE of India... | -=--

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 8:13 PM

not an appealing design at all!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 10:45 PM

oh god I thought i was the only one. I'm trying to understand the people that like this... maybe the height or it being iconic, but the future of modern architecture is looking pretty bleak

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 1:19 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I don't find it downright ugly, but yeah, it is kinda meh.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I don't find it downright ugly, but yeah, it is kinda meh.
I'd consider meh as downright ugly for the standards that people are supposed to design this by.

"...unlike any other structure in the India’s or Asia’s Skyline. The master mind behind this structure is no stranger to tall buildings - renowned Architect Reza Kabul has to his credit the tallest completed building of India."

pleeeeeeeease give me a break. mastermind? a middle schooler could design these generic, dull skyscrapers that people get excited about in India. Yea, it certainly isn't like any other building between India and Asia combined. I rest my case... This honestly makes me wonder what it takes to be a world renowned architect in the world these days. Not much, as it appears... at least in India.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 7:02 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

Reza Kabul's designs have always been quirky, to say the least. Not really digging this one either. But, hey, at least it adds some girth to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Reza Kabul's designs have always been quirky, to say the least. Not really digging this one either. But, hey, at least it adds some girth to the skyline.
I really do wish I could share your optimism about Mumbai, but this city is just going to turn into another cheaper, faker Dubai in ten years, which is hard not to be pessimistic about, please understand

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 9:46 AM
ॐ शान्तिः

My optimism is based on my knowledge of the city and of its real estate scene. You're entitled to your you and yours, but don't expect me to give completely uninformed commentary any undue merit.

Cheers.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post

-Jai
They used Chicago as a backdrop in this rendering.

Its about time India starting putting up some supertalls. They have a population density necessitating more vertical housing and a rapidly growing economy to finance it.

So these latest towers are for the very wealthy, now what's happening to slum relocations? Are the poor also offered new high-rise housing when the old neighborhood is cleared? How well has that been working thus far?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post

Its about time India starting putting up some supertalls. They have a population density necessitating more vertical housing and a rapidly growing economy to finance it.

So these latest towers are for the very wealthy, now what's happening to slum relocations? Are the poor also offered new high-rise housing when the old neighborhood is cleared? How well has that been working thus far?
I believe they are doing something about the slum life, such as providing incentives and selling cheap highrise space for the impoverished to move out of the slums, but not on nearly enough of a scale to change the standard of living over the next 5 years. And the latest towers with millions of square feet of living space to service the 2% of the population is kind of, well actually extremely, unrealistic to me, and makes zero fiscally sound sense whatsoever... maybe someone could help me out with the mindset of these developers.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:20 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
sweet India is going up the design kinda reminds me of something u could find in Dubai.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 4:24 PM

well lets hope not all of them are this "Dubai-ish"

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 5:51 PM
Ω

[QUOTE=Chicago Shawn;4926476]They used Chicago as a backdrop in this rendering.

QUOTE]

It looks like a Chicago firm from the '70s designed the base then a psycho hijacked the design.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
I believe they are doing something about the slum life, such as providing incentives and selling cheap highrise space for the impoverished to move out of the slums, but not on nearly enough of a scale to change the standard of living over the next 5 years. And the latest towers with millions of square feet of living space to service the 2% of the population is kind of, well actually extremely, unrealistic to me, and makes zero fiscally sound sense whatsoever... maybe someone could help me out with the mindset of these developers.
Keep in mind that 2% of the population in India is still a lot of people. 2% of one billion = 20 million.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:05 PM

oh, right, thanks. I mean like .02% then...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:05 PM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
[QUOTE=Zerton;4926600]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post

QUOTE]

It looks like a Chicago firm from the '70s designed the base then a psycho hijacked the design.
___!!WORD!!__

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:29 PM

Ugliest Building Designs in the World:

1. Everything in "amazing paradise" Dubai

2. 56 Leonard in nyc

3. This..

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 2:03 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Nice colors, and I like the zipper design near the top, but the bottleneck tapering just looks weird and wrong. Not my cup o tea.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 12:06 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Not a fan of this one... if they had kept it cylindrical all the way up, then maybe... but that pinched in top bugs me somehow...

And to all of you who feel the need to comment about the political scene in the area, or about impoverished people that require housing, please keep in mind that we're talking about a SINGLE skyscraper here. The base appears to be less than 100 metres squared. The city around it is FAR, FAR larger and there is a forum for speculation about how to house people in Mumbai elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive