HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 4, 2007, 11:39 PM
urbanYVR.com

Manitoba Budget 2007

Today's budget day!

Quote:
Pre-election budget offers a little for everyone
Last Updated: Wednesday, April 4, 2007 | 4:23 PM CT
CBC News
Manitoba's NDP government introduced moderate tax reductions for taxpayers and businesses, as well as new initiatives on the justice, infrastructure, health and environmental fronts, in its 2007 budget tabled Wednesday.

Finance Minister Greg Selinger says his new budget "lays a solid foundation for the future of the province."

Total revenue in the province is up 5.9 per cent over last year to $11.8 billion, while spending is up 6.8 per cent to $11.6 billion — leaving the province with an expected surplus of $175 million.

The government expects to draw $37 million from the fiscal stabilization or "rainy-day" fund for health-related programs including wait-time reductions, leaving the fund with a balance of $460 million at the end of the 2007-08 fiscal year. That's about $17 million less than the fund's expected balance at the end of the 2006-07 fiscal year.

The 2007 budget is the first in 50 years to provide a summary budget using generally accepted accounting principles, as has been encouraged by the auditor general for years.

The new summary budget includes both core government services directly under the government's control — as in previous budgets — and "government reporting entities," including Crown organizations, health authorities, post-secondary educational institutions and public schools.

Personal taxes

The province is reducing the income-tax rate for middle-income earners by a quarter of a percentage point to 12.75 per cent, and increasing the middle-income threshold to $66,000 effective in 2008.

The 2007 budget also adds $200 to the basic personal exemption, and increases the spousal amount and eligible-dependent amount by 24 per cent to match the basic personal amount. Previously announced income-splitting for seniors is also included, mirroring changes in the federal budget.

The changes will save taxpayers relatively small amounts of money on their taxes for the 2008 year:

A single person earning $40,000 would save $46.
A senior couple earning $40,000 through private pension income and old age security pension would save $43.
A family of four with one earner making $60,000 would save $194.
A family of four with two earners making $100,000 a year would save $127.
The government also increased the education property tax credit to $525 from $400. The farmland education tax rebate was also increased by five percentage points to 65 per cent.

The province will also invest more than $14 million in child care to backfill a withdrawal of funds that were expected to come through a program of the former Liberal federal government, which was killed by the Conservative government.

Taxes on cigarettes and liquor will remain the same.

Business taxes

The budget also reduced the general corporation income tax rate to 13 per cent on July 1, 2008 — a drop of one percentage point. The small business tax will be reduced to two per cent in 2008, down one percentage point.

The threshold for the payroll tax — officially called the health and post-secondary education levy — increases to $1.25 million, up from $1 million, which will exempt about 200 employers from the tax.

In what is likely an attempt to head off criticism about reduced venture-capital investments in the wake of the collapse of the Crocus Investment Fund, the budget expands the community enterprises development tax credit program to include a 30 per cent tax credit for investments in emerging enterprises, for startups and early expansions.

The budget did not include a cut to the provincial sales tax, which some analysts forecast after Saskatchewan cut its sales tax earlier in the year.

Selinger said the PST was already one of the lowest in the country, and he preferred to put more money in consumers' pockets through tax reduction.

Health care

Expenditures in health care, traditionally the largest piece of the spending pie, increase by $172 million to more than $4 billion in the budget, roughly an eight per cent increase over last year.

While the budget did not include many initiatives that the government had not previously announced, it confirmed funding of training for doctors and nurses and reductions in waiting times for hip and knee surgeries.

Officials also announced the province will install a new $10-million "non-invasive cancer knife" — the first of its kind in Canada — to treat cancers in all parts of the body. Officials expected to release more details in the coming weeks.

The budget eliminates the fee for inter-facility transfers, at a cost of $6 million.

It also introduces a children's fitness tax credit to complement a similar credit. The combined federal-provincial credit will provide parents with up to $132 to assist with the cost of registering children in physical activity programs.

Law and order

The new budget provides funding for 30 new police officers across the province: 14 for Winnipeg — including five previously announced for the stolen auto unit — two new officers for Brandon and 14 new RCMP officers, which officials hope to have in place by Jan. 1, 2008.

In co-operation with the City of Winnipeg and school boards, the province also agreed to fund three new police officers for the school-resource program. They'll work in Gordon Bell, Hugh John Macdonald, Kelvin, Grant Park and Churchill high schools.

Education

The budget continues the NDP government's tuition freeze at Manitoba's post-secondary institutions

Average funding to the provinces' universities and colleges will increase seven per cent — up two percentage points over last year. Government officials said this was the equivalent of a four per cent tuition increase.

The budget also makes good on a previously announced 60 per cent income tax rebate on tuition fees for all post-secondary graduates who live and work in Manitoba, designed to make staying in the province more attractive to young graduates.

Young people who live and work in Manitoba will pay among the lowest tax rates in Canada, Selinger said.

'Green' initiatives

The budget confirmed the previously leaked increase of Manitoba Hydro loans for geothermal systems to $20,000, and also announced interest rates on such loans would be locked in at 4.9 per cent for the first five years.

It also confirmed an already announced $2,000 rebate for drivers who buy hybrid vehicles.

The budget introduces a new "green energy manufacturing credit," which provides a 10 per cent credit against the costs a manufacturer incurs to make a system more environmentally friendly.

The province is also restoring the 50/50 funding split with municipal governments for public transit in centres including Winnipeg and Brandon.

Infrastructure

The budget confirmed its previously announced investment of almost $400 million next year in highways, as part of a five-year, $2-billion plan to improve road infrastructure.

The budget also allocates $33 million under cost-shared agreements with municipalities and the federal government for projects such as upgrades to Winnipeg's wastewater and water-treatment system and other programs in Swan River, Winnipeg and Brandon.

The province also announced it would spend $104 million on affordable housing projects — including inner-city revitalization, urban aboriginal housing, northern housing, homelessness and initiatives to help low-income seniors live at home.

Just over $61 million of that money has already been provided by the federal government, with the balance coming from the province; about $10 million to $20 million of that money will be spent next year and the rest over the next four years.

The budget's delivery was delayed for about 45 minutes on Wednesday afternoon after the Liberals introduced a motion asking for Selinger to be replaced with someone more "honest."

The move was part of the opposition's ongoing protest of the government's refusal to call a public inquiry into the collapse of the Crocus Investment Fund.
Overall, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for deeper income tax cuts... 0.25% isn't enough.

Also there's nothing specific for downtown Winnipeg. I think the NDP/provincial gov't needs to be committed to downtown as much as the city should be.

What about rapid transit for Winnipeg? Provincial gov't could have made a huge positive (and green) statement with an annoucement like that...but no.

Nothing really in the budget to keep me here... while the economies and tax situation in B.C., Alta and Sask. continue to get better, Manitoba continues to be a mediocre place to live and do business.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 1:36 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2mb View Post
Today's budget day!

Overall, I'm disappointed. I was hoping for deeper income tax cuts... 0.25% isn't enough.

Also there's nothing specific for downtown Winnipeg. I think the NDP/provincial gov't needs to be committed to downtown as much as the city should be.

What about rapid transit for Winnipeg? Provincial gov't could have made a huge positive (and green) statement with an annoucement like that...but no.

Nothing really in the budget to keep me here... while the economies and tax situation in B.C., Alta and Sask. continue to get better, Manitoba continues to be a mediocre place to live and do business.

Ditto.....

Although calling Manitoba's continious race to the back of the class is hardly mediocre... its downright sad.

Manitoba university and colleges are stuck again for yet another year, without the ability to properly fund classes ... in the name of keeping the short sighted student unions, who would rather graduate with a cheap degree than a quality degree, happy as clams. Too bad for Manitoba's students who are being short changed.... with subpar education. The U of M is earning its reputation as a poorly funded school.

The "tax cuts" for the most part don't even keep up with inflation.. thus bracket creep plays a larger roll every year.

As mentioned absolutely no mention of rapid transit, even after a massive increase in transfer payments form Ottawa. This government seems clueless to any form of increasing Winnipeg's competitive standing, through infrastructure advancements and real economic incentives to invest.

I hope Manitobans are wise enough to vote these sad excuses for government leaders out of office. No economic growth policies... no look to the future. This just marks another year of Manitoba falling futher behind.

I hope there is an election call soon.. because this is pathetic. Its days like today where Calgary's blistery cold and snow ... seem a little warmer.

I really hope Manitoba moves in a better direction.

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 5, 2007 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:55 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Today's budget day!

Here's why. Back in '98 Gary said rapid transit wasn't an issue for him. For him, high priority items include:
  1. Bicycle trails
  2. Cross-country ski trails
  3. Riverbank parks

To Doer, the above list represent "quality of life" issues.

Making downtown easier to access by riding a train instead of paying for parking... just isn't on his radar.

I recorded my call ("Jim from River Heights") into Videon's Insight program which aired sometime between April and September 1998.

Videon Insight - Gary Doer on Rapid Transit in Winnipeg (1998)

The rapid transit issue is like a cooking pot that whose water is boiling, and the lid is jumping up and down making noises, but the owner is not watching it. Soon that pot will explode.

Last edited by LilZebra; Apr 5, 2007 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
Here's why. Back in '98 Gary said rapid transit wasn't an issue for him. For him, high priority items include:
  1. Bicycle trails
  2. Cross-country ski trails
  3. Riverbank parks

To Doer, the above list represent "quality of life" issues.

Making downtown easier to access by riding a train instead of paying for parking... just isn't on his radar.

I recorded my call ("Jim from River Heights") into Videon's Insight program which aired sometime between April and September 1998.

Videon Insight - Gary Doer on Rapid Transit in Winnipeg (1998)

The rapid transit issue is like a cooking pot that whose water is boiling, and the lid is jumping up and down making noises, but the owner is not watching it. Soon that pot will explode.
I think it's time for a change with governments. Life is a gamble in itself so why not take a chance with a new government.....

We gotta take this city/province to the next level............. enough already!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Today's budget day!

It continues to amaze me how nothing is being said or done about City Transportaton especially now with the major concerns regarding global warming and the environment. I'll say it over and over again RT is more important then people think and will become even more important as the years go by and global warming becomes a greater concern to our environment.

Only way to reduce gas emissions is to have more people ride city transit and the only way that will happen is if the city promotes a modern environment friendly transit system.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 6:11 AM
Capitalist

Here is a link the views of the Business Council of Manitoba in regards to the budget. I pretty well agree with it 100%

--------------------------------------------------------

http://www.businesscouncilmb.ca/Publ...-issues-07.pdf

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 6:19 AM
Capitalist

For those keeping score ....

Manitoba is last ... thanks Gary Doer!!

Gotta love governments which keep new jobs out of the province with payroll taxes..

ONLY province with a capital tax ... got to love those surface lots!!!!

The great thing is this chart will be updated and published every 6 months ...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 6:25 PM
urbanYVR.com

that's spirited energy in action.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 8:35 PM

"The threshold for the payroll tax — officially called the health and post-secondary education levy — increases to $1.25 million, up from $1 million, which will exempt about 200 employers from the tax."

I don't know why they insist on maintaining this tax wedge. How is a tax on employment justified?

Newflyer, that chart says Manitoba is 12th for the payroll and capital taxes. What other province even has them? Quebec?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:06 PM
BANNED

^^Yep. Ontario too

Last edited by The Diva; Apr 9, 2007 at 5:12 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan