HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Those population declines are a killer..
Big families up until the 60s then birth control changed the world; the western world for the most part.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:39 PM

Do we really need to revive this thinly veiled racist thread?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I'm failing to see the racism, maybe you can help me out?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:16 PM

I don't give a shit about race. Population declines in the donut hole are bad.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
Downtown
1941: 27,543
1951: 23,465
1956: 20,693
1961: 17,429
1966: 15,511
1971: 14,417
1976: 13,453
1981: 12,934
1986: 14,187
1991: 16,054
1996: 15,521
2001: 15,954
2006: 15,960
2011: 16,673
2016: 17,826

Downtown
bounded on the north by the CPR mainline, on the east by the Red River, on the south by the Assiniboine River and on the west by Isabel/Balmoral/Colony/Memorial/Osborne
It's somewhat encouraging that things seem to be slowly moving in the right direction since bottoming out in 1981.

But where the hell did 27,500 people live downtown in 1941? Rooming houses? How many residential units have been added since 1981 - Place Promenade, Fort Garry Place, numerous other Bro-Ass buildings, all the condo units in the Exchange and office-to-apartment conversions around the downtown...and it's only 4900 more people than the 1981 low tide?

I suppose there are many more units recently built (or u/c) not reflected in the 2016 numbers. Assiniboine Landing, TNS, Glasshouse, 300 Main...another 1200 or so?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:51 PM

Downtown was full of houses in 1941. They have mostly been replaced with surface parking lots. Oh and a few buildings.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:55 PM

The area south of Graham Ave was pretty well a residential neighbourhood until the 60s.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The whole premise of the thread is about splitting the "undesirable" parts of the city in the "north end" from the "hard workings folks in the south end".

If you dig a little deeper it is about splitting the tax base so the lower income, often new immigrant and indigenous populations which are significantly more common in the north are a separate legal entity from the middle and upper class and predominantly Caucasian population in the south.

If you want to talk demographics of different neighborhoods please don't structure it in the thinly veiled "us v them" intentions of the thread title.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:57 PM

^ I didn't pick up any of that from balletomane's original post, I get the impression from his posts that he just enjoys pondering questions related to population or demography.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:58 PM

Going back through the 3 pages here. Nothing was about race until you brought it up Cory. Maybe it's you.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Downtown was full of houses in 1941. They have mostly been replaced with surface parking lots. Oh and a few buildings.
Quote:
The area south of Graham Ave was pretty well a residential neighbourhood until the 60s.
But some of the high-rise residential must have compensated for a lot of that. Holiday Towers, those buildings on Smith...and everything south of Broadway is still residential and must be far more dense than in the 40s.

Even then, the area of downtown south of Graham and north of Broadway that used to be residential and is now surface lots and offices is only about 10% of the size of River Heights.

They must have been really packed them in...

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:04 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
The whole premise of the thread is about splitting the "undesirable" parts of the city in the "north end" from the "hard workings folks in the south end".

If you dig a little deeper it is about splitting the tax base so the lower income, often new immigrant and indigenous populations which are significantly more common in the north are a separate legal entity from the middle and upper class and predominantly Caucasian population in the south.

If you want to talk demographics of different neighborhoods please don't structure it in the thinly veiled "us v them" intentions of the thread title.
Dude the thread title is about as innocuous as it gets. This whole thread is pure conjecture so I'm not sure how you could possible infer any racism unless you were looking to make it about race. Is that where we're at these days? No discussions that have an unlikely potential - but a potential nonetheless some will say - to look racist in some way?

I also don't subscribe to the view that the city can be divided along north-south lines and produce some sort of meaningful racial divide. The two halves of the city are both fairly diverse so I'm not sure where you were going with this...
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
All of the neighbourhoods/boundaries I have referenced in my demographics are the same municipal boundaries that existed prior to the 1972 amalgamation of Winnipeg.
Not my attempt to divide the city into socioeconomic groups or start an "us vs them" argument.

This thread could easily just have been named
"What if the 1972 Amalgamation of Winnipeg Never Happened?"

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I don't give a shit about race. Population declines in the donut hole are bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
All of the neighbourhoods/boundaries I have referenced in my demographics are the same municipal boundaries that existed prior to the 1972 amalgamation of Winnipeg.
Not my attempt to divide the city into socioeconomic groups or start an "us vs them" argument.

This thread could easily just have been named
"What if the 1972 Amalgamation of Winnipeg Never Happened?"

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:28 PM

The modern deamalgamation of Winnipeg discussion trace their roots to the Gord Steeves mayoral campaign which definitely had racial undertones.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
The modern deamalgamation of Winnipeg discussion trace their roots to the Gord Steeves mayoral campaign which definitely had racial undertones.
Hahahahahahahahahaha. Okay guy.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:42 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I just sifted through the pages again, and I seriously fail to see any racism here, and I am a man of colour.

Seriously, Cory, let's chill for a moment here.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:15 AM

If anyone is interested in numbers or demographics for a more specific area I have the population data saved on my computer.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:14 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
I'm hard pressed to think of any advantages of de-amalgamation beyond perhaps idealistic notions that a smaller municipal government would somehow be closer to its citizens. All I see is more administrative overhead (much like with our school boards) and a situation where there would be less integrated planning and more instances of developers playing one municipality against the others.
I'm with you on this although I can think of some possible advantages. The one that sticks out to me is that the cities could be in competition with each other in a more tangible way than is otherwise the case. Keeping up with the Jones' would take place in a different context that might make certain necessary changes more attractive than they would otherwise be.

I'm thinking about how Winnipeg wants to compete with cities like Calgary and Edmonton. The problem, of course, is that those cities have had decades of oil money flowing into them and Winnipeg is in no position to compete with them in any way. If, on the other hand, St. Boniface decided to beautify the stretch along Marion and Goulet and turned it into a major night spot (for example) other cities in the region would be able to look at that and say "There's absolutely no reason we can't do the exact same thing so why aren't we doing it?"

Anyway, that's just my guess. Otherwise, I see no real advantage at all and it may even be a step backwards.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:19 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Please go to Tumblr. Nobody here is thinking about or speaking about anything racist in any way. On Tumblr, everybody adheres to your conspiracy theories about racism so you won't even have to try and shoehorn it into any conversation. I'm sure you'd be much more comfortable there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan