HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 8:02 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO | 1,000 Unit Mixed-Use Tobin Hill Development | Proposed

Harris Bay planning 1,000-unit, mixed-use development in rapidly-growing Tobin Hill

Quote:
North of downtown, California developer Jake Harris, who has been establishing a strong presence in San Antonio through his company Harris Bay in recent years, is planning to build a 1,000-unit, mixed-use apartment complex on West Josephine Street that would also touch the St. Mary’s Strip.

It would add to the flurry of housing developments that are either in the planning stage or under construction—roughly 2,500 new apartments—in Tobin Hill, making this area the hottest submarket in the downtown area, and perhaps all of San Antonio.

Quote:
The Harris Bay project would consist of four mixed-use buildings on roughly 5.7 acres with 70,000 square feet of retail space, and 1,075 parking spaces. One of the buildings would abut Nathaniel Hawthorne Academy. Another would be built on West Grayson, across from The Lonesome Rose, and next to Polk Street, which Harris envisions as being closed to traffic and turned into a pedestrian area lined with shops and restaurants.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 1:44 PM

This would be a nice addition to the St. Mary's strip. I like it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 2:47 PM

agree. I really like this one too

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 4:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks good to me.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 7:44 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Closing that side street to cars would make this corner really interesting. That plus the relatively large amount of retail included makes this a better project than most of the other modernist mid/lowrise boxes that have gone up here lately. Thumbs up.

The two largest buildings have 25k/22k sf of retail... assuming they're contiguous, each of those would be bigger than a typical trader Joes but smaller than an HEB or even a Whole Foods (SoFlo HEB excepted, but that doesn't seem like a model they're keen to replicate). So, sort of an odd size for a grocer, but there's plenty of other useful neighborhood retail that could use spaces that big.

There's a handful of buildings they want to demolish that I will mourn... but on balance the neighborhood comes out ahead here.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2022, 9:09 PM

Looks good, I hope it happens and they can get the ball rolling on something here. I'm not sure if I've seen them actually get started on something.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 12:20 AM

It looks like this one is moving forward as demolition permits were submitted for all of the existing properties - they also uploaded the district plan that includes zone restrictions for heights. I think this wasn't supposed to break ground for another year but pretty exciting nonetheless

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
It looks like this one is moving forward as demolition permits were submitted for all of the existing properties - they also uploaded the district plan that includes zone restrictions for heights. I think this wasn't supposed to break ground for another year but pretty exciting nonetheless

When you say Zone Restrictions for heights. Are you saying they reversed that height restriction or enforcing it?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
When you say Zone Restrictions for heights. Are you saying they reversed that height restriction or enforcing it?

I think they're just enforcing the height restrictions based on the zone the buildings now fall under? That's just my guess as to why these almost all have a max height of 78 ft and why two of them have street setback requirements

What's odd is that in the original article all of the buildings had height limits of 120 - 150 feet

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
I think they're just enforcing the height restrictions based on the zone the buildings now fall under? That's just my guess as to why these almost all have a max height of 78 ft and why two of them have street setback requirements

What's odd is that in the original article all of the buildings had height limits of 120 - 150 feet
Thank you for the clarification. It's pretty ridiculous that we have a height restriction of 78 ft max in that area. Looking at the number of apartments they want to fit in those spaces with a max height of 78 ft and 50 ft is absurd. Those rooms must be 500 sq/ft each and only studios. And the parking spaces must be compact only. Just not sure how they will pull this off with that height restriction.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio